Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Short stroke

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 77bawls
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 1457

    Short stroke

    Could a loose fit in the gas tube roll pin cause a short stroke? The store was out of them and I had to improvise. I have the pin in there now, but what are some other things I can look for?

    Is this the correct length?
    Last edited by 77bawls; 03-19-2011, 1:07 AM.
    Originally posted by Munk
    If you have a metal box that has "Anthrax" written on the side, are you a terrorist? or just a fan of a great band?
    "Those who would ban extended magazines, will say that although hundreds of thousands are in circulation and thousands more will surely be sold before a ban is enacted, it will be worth it if it saves just one life. But the other half of that question must be asked, too: Is it worth it if it costs just one life?" Stephen Hunter
    sigpic
  • #2
    kendog4570
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2008
    • 5180

    Based on your pictures, the first place I would look is the buffer tube. Do you have as much grease in there as on the bolt, carrier, and in the upper receiver? If so, it can hydraulically dampen the buffer movement, and cause short stroking, especially if there is no vent in the upper butt stock screw. It should have a hole in it. There are many causes of it, but I would look there first.
    Lube is important, but you have about a tube and a half too much there.

    Comment

    • #3
      Ryan in SD
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 1966

      Yeah was thinking the same thing, lol so much grease!

      Comment

      • #4
      • #5
        dieselpower
        Banned
        • Jan 2009
        • 11471

        Originally posted by kendog4570
        Based on your pictures, the first place I would look is the buffer tube. Do you have as much grease in there as on the bolt, carrier, and in the upper receiver? If so, it can hydraulically dampen the buffer movement, and cause short stroking, especially if there is no vent in the upper butt stock screw. It should have a hole in it. There are many causes of it, but I would look there first.
        Lube is important, but you have about a tube and a half too much there.
        Originally posted by Ryan in SD
        Yeah was thinking the same thing, lol so much grease!
        bam! good call. There is a difference between wet and goop. Is the gas key filled with that goop too?

        The pin should hold the tube in place, if the tube moves around the hole in the gas block may be the problem. The gases maybe able to push the tube out of the way allowing some of the gases to escape leading to low pressure. Does the tube wiggle at the gas block? If yes...that could be a major problem. Start with a new tube and a new REAL pin. The Gas key side looks good, but you are correct the gas block side may be a problem.

        Comment

        • #6
          killshot44
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 4072

          And despite all that grease the bolt-lugs look worn........odd.

          You only need to lube the back of the bolt lugs and a little on the carrier skids. Do as the above posters recommend, clean off ALL of that heavy grease, relube and try again.

          PS: Best lube I've ever used was recommended by one of my builders, it's called "Phil's Tenacious Oil" and is sold at high-end bicycle stores. Very "sticky" with good viscosity.

          Comment

          • #7
            dvsdev
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2008
            • 527

            I'm not sure, but from the first picture the gas key does not look properly staked. The fasteners may have gotten loose.

            Comment

            • #8
              77bawls
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 1457

              Okay I forgot to mention, round count is about 30. Before I put any lube on the outside of the bolt I ran it dry and it did the same thing. No there is no grease in the gas key and there is no grease at all in the buffer tube. The pic was just after I put grease on it usually I use lubriplate but I forgot it at home.

              The store was out of gas tube roll pins and the clerk told me I could use a trim nail. I got a 1/16" nail but apparently the hole is 3/32". I went back to the store and they had the roll pins in stock 3/32"x5/16". That roll pin fits the low profile gas block perfectly but I have a picatinny rail gas block. It needs to be 3/32"x5/8". I used the small roll pin and just made sure it was centered in the block.

              I'm going to go to Sac Valley in a few minutes to see how it does.
              Originally posted by Munk
              If you have a metal box that has "Anthrax" written on the side, are you a terrorist? or just a fan of a great band?
              "Those who would ban extended magazines, will say that although hundreds of thousands are in circulation and thousands more will surely be sold before a ban is enacted, it will be worth it if it saves just one life. But the other half of that question must be asked, too: Is it worth it if it costs just one life?" Stephen Hunter
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #9
                kendog4570
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2008
                • 5180

                Originally posted by 77bawls
                Okay I forgot to mention, round count is about 30....
                Shoot 50 or 100 rounds of good ammo through it and then see how it does. And lose the grease pit!

                Comment

                • #10
                  Outta Control
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • 2383

                  Originally posted by kendog4570
                  Based on your pictures, the first place I would look is the buffer tube. Do you have as much grease in there as on the bolt, carrier, and in the upper receiver? If so, it can hydraulically dampen the buffer movement, and cause short stroking, especially if there is no vent in the upper butt stock screw. It should have a hole in it. There are many causes of it, but I would look there first.
                  Lube is important, but you have about a tube and a half too much there.
                  What you guys are just too much. Y'all always say Lube this , Lube that, and keep it lube. Now y'all say too much lube.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
                  George Orwell

                  Comment

                  • #11
                    kendog4570
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 5180

                    Originally posted by Outta Control
                    What you guys are just too much. Y'all always say Lube this , Lube that, and keep it lube. Now y'all say too much lube.
                    Not me, baby. Use good lube sparingly, try to wipe most of it off, and change it often.

                    Comment

                    • #12
                      THT
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 5140

                      Lube the races of the carrier. ONE drop of lube on the bolt, spread with finger, wipe excess off. GREASE the upper receiver where the charging handle latch contacts it. That's all I do and I have very few stoppages.
                      Ty | 815.246.AR15 (2715) | info@midwestpx.com

                      sigpic

                      Magpul | Mega Arms | LMT | Hiperfire | ODIN Works | Multitasker
                      Spike's Tactical | Fortis | Centurion Arms | Limited Capacity PMAGs

                      FREE SHIPPING ON $150+ ORDERS!

                      Comment

                      • #13
                        Sgt. Slaughter
                        Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 156

                        I usually take a grease gun and put the nozzle into the ejection port and fill it until grease comes out the seam inbetween the recievers, lucas oil red and tacky works for me.

                        Comment

                        • #14
                          luckystrike
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 4176

                          less earwax and more oil, try different ammo

                          Comment

                          • #15
                            TRAP55
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jul 2008
                            • 5536

                            One that gave me a real headache trying to figure out, was the bolt carrier key fit to the gas tube.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1