Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Checklist for AR in case pulled over

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • shooter3225
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 68

    Checklist for AR in case pulled over

    My friend today told me that somewhere on Calguns there is some sort of checklist for your AR that you can keep in your car in case you are pulled over. I think he said it has a list of the laws concerning ARs and you fill in the laws that you have followed when building your AR so it makes it easier for the cop and is less of a hassle. I forgot where he said to look on the website, just seeing if anyone knows where...thanks
  • #2
    ap3572001
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2007
    • 6039

    I think if You have a bb in place, a ten round mag in the gun , have it in a locked rifle case in the trunk and rifle is not loaded , You should not have any issues.
    Last edited by ap3572001; 03-01-2011, 4:22 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      j15w
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 869

      He's referring to the flow chart http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
      It was just an old plywood boat, with a '75 Johnson, with electric choke. A young boy, two hands on the wheel, I can't replace the way it made me feel.

      Comment

      • #4
        Librarian
        Admin and Poltergeist
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 44689

        Most probably he means the CA AW ID Flowchart, linked in the blue bar at the top of every page .

        (Darn, a minute behind justin15w !)
        ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

        Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

        Comment

        • #5
          djleisure
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2008
          • 4734

          First and foremost you need to learn to "respectfully decline" to answer questions that are superfluous to the reason you are being pulled over. If you have your AR properly stored in an enclosed case in the trunk and/or away from prying eyes the situation will never arise. Of course, it is always best to be educated on all the laws regarding AR's and other "evil" types of guns in CA (or anywhere) so educate yourself first, carry papers second and finally, if it comes down to you being required to answer any questions about your guns you will be prepared!
          ------------------------------------------------------------
          iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?

          Comment

          • #6
            SarahKC1987
            Member
            • Feb 2011
            • 388

            I understand having the right to remain silent.... but around my neck of the woods its standard operating procedure for the POlice to ask if you have any weopons in the car?

            Obviously you don't lie, but I think maybe the correct response would be something along the lines of "Sir does that have any bearing on why you pulled me over". I think just ignoring the question would be rude and suspicious.

            Comment

            • #7
              jrtf83
              Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 116

              Why not lie? They'll lie to you. It is my understanding that the only thing you have to be honest about is in identifying yourself.

              Comment

              • #8
                crazychinaman
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2011
                • 1557

                Originally posted by jrtf83
                Why not lie? They'll lie to you. It is my understanding that the only thing you have to be honest about is in identifying yourself.
                Never lie. just tell the truth. the rifle is not loaded in a locked case and ammo is in a seperate case.In the trunk.

                Comment

                • #9
                  djleisure
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 4734

                  Originally posted by crazychinaman
                  Never lie. just tell the truth. the rifle is not loaded in a locked case and ammo is in a seperate case.In the trunk.
                  That's fine if that is the case, but it's also excessive. The rifle does NOT need to be in a locked case (unless in GFSZ, I think) and the ammo can be snuggled right up against the rifle in the back seat.

                  You don't need to lie or tell the truth, you simple don't need to answer questions that aren't relevant to the reason you are pulled over.
                  ------------------------------------------------------------
                  iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Archie B.
                    Member
                    • Nov 2010
                    • 343

                    Originally posted by jrtf83
                    Why not lie? They'll lie to you. It is my understanding that the only thing you have to be honest about is in identifying yourself.
                    And there you have it...the police are not your friends.
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      lelandEOD
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 678

                      Originally posted by jrtf83
                      Why not lie? They'll lie to you. It is my understanding that the only thing you have to be honest about is in identifying yourself.
                      If you lie you:

                      a.) lose the moral high ground

                      b.) help an LEO justify reasonable suspicion

                      c.) all of the above





                      It's kind of a catch 22 and I've often wondered how this is supposed to play out... In New Jersey, for example, a firearm is presumed illegal until the owner proves it otherwise (cool huh). There is precedent in many places that allows cops to inspect a weapon -to check if it's loaded, for example- that in a way basically eliminates your 4th Amendment while traveling armed.

                      I haven't been here long enough to know so let me ask you locals...

                      If you are sitting in your car on the side of the highway because you were doing 10 over and the cop at your window asks if you have any weapons on you. You say, "yes sir - unloaded in the trunk." Does that LEO have the right to inspect that weapon to verify it's legal status? I'm really curious. LEO's please chime in, here. Does simply admitting to having a firearm in itself constitute reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed? Not in the world I'm from... but we live in a new country.


                      Thoughts?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        shooter3225
                        Junior Member
                        • Jan 2011
                        • 68

                        LOL..you guys are funny. Thanks for the flowchart link thats exactly what he was talking about. Of course the link was right in front of my face lol

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          jrtf83
                          Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 116

                          Originally posted by lelandEOD
                          If you lie you:

                          a.) lose the moral high ground

                          b.) help an LEO justify reasonable suspicion

                          c.) all of the above
                          d.) end up incriminating yourself

                          And don't even give me this "if you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear" garbage. You can't know the entire law all the way through and you never know what he might catch you out on. It's like looking down the barrel of a gun because you "KNOW" it's unloaded. Bad Idea(TM).

                          Maybe I've just had too many run-ins with a-hole cops in the town I went to college in just treating us like perps and trying to catch us any way they could, but I find that most often "they are not your friend".


                          Originally posted by lelandEOD
                          If you are sitting in your car on the side of the highway because you were doing 10 over and the cop at your window asks if you have any weapons on you. You say, "yes sir - unloaded in the trunk." Does that LEO have the right to inspect that weapon to verify it's legal status? I'm really curious. LEO's please chime in, here. Does simply admitting to having a firearm in itself constitute reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed? Not in the world I'm from... but we live in a new country.
                          I'm curious about this as well.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            pullnshoot25
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007
                            • 8068

                            FAQ in sig line has some relevant information.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Oceanbob
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jun 2010
                              • 12720

                              The Trunk is a locked case

                              Originally posted by crazychinaman
                              Never lie. just tell the truth. the rifle is not loaded in a locked case and ammo is in a seperate case.In the trunk.
                              And the ammo does not have to be separate from the Rifle. In fact the ammo can be loaded into a magazine and sitting next to the Rifle. (not inserted into the weapon).

                              Whether one should evade the question or outright lie (in my mind) depends on the situation and the Police officers demeanor.

                              I prefer to evade the question. "I have nothing illegal officer"....."am I free to go..?"...

                              If you admit to having a weapon on board, then by law the officer has the right to conduct and 'e' search. To check the weapon and make sure it's unloaded. Some 'e' searches are conducted after the officer has called for BACK UP and you're handcuffed and sitting on the CURB. They go thru the car/trunk/glove box/center console and most likely will RUN the serial number thru their Computer. This takes time and is always a hassle.

                              Not only that, I feel that most police departments have officers who are simply under-trained. These are the times (and our Cal Guns Attorneys have helped get weapons returned) that your prize AR gets taken away.

                              So, that being said...I prefer to outright LIE. My decision. It's not against the law to LIE to a cop. Only to the FBI or some agency that's conducting an investigation.

                              If you decide to lie, make sure you are LEGAL . For me, my RAWs travel in a locked case that is very difficult to open even with tools. Inside is my (not required) copy from the CDOJ saying this is MY WEAPON by serial number.

                              It's in my trunk. And no officer. I do not consent to a search. If I exit the car
                              I take the key and electronically lock the doors. I have my Insurance, Registration on the side door storage slot...removing it as I exit the car.

                              Another point is, if an officer sees a GUN CASE on your back seat, that is probable cause to do an 'e' check.

                              Out of sight out of mind. Focus on the trunk.
                              May the Bridges I burn light the way.

                              Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

                              Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1