Just wondering is it even possible for someone to own/use a fully automatic AR in California with the proper license? If so, what type of license would that be?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Fully Auto AR
Collapse
X
-
It's possible but not likely. I think the stamps mainly go to movie companies.Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.
- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition) -
What you're referring to is a "Machine Gun Permit." If you want to own one personally as opposed to possessing a machine gun for military/LE sales, you're looking at a VERY rare permit. Only 3 people in California have such a permit. Sales-related permits are much more common but you do not personally own the machine gun.
"Entertainment" permits are also possible, but even then, you don't personally own the machine gun - your business does for the purpose of supplying them to the entertainment industry.Comment
-
What about people who legally owned machine guns before all of the laws? Did they have to sell, turn in their guns?What you're referring to is a "Machine Gun Permit." If you want to own one personally as opposed to possessing a machine gun for military/LE sales, you're looking at a VERY rare permit. Only 3 people in California have such a permit. Sales-related permits are much more common but you do not personally own the machine gun.
"Entertainment" permits are also possible, but even then, you don't personally own the machine gun - your business does for the purpose of supplying them to the entertainment industry.Comment
-
ditto on what these calgunners have said, you're looking at something that's practically impossible to own/get/ legally permissible.Be the change that you wish to see in the world.Mahatma Gandhi
"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
― Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)Comment
-
Enlist in the Marines.
For all realistic purposes, it is not possible in CA at this time. It is possible in other states, but even then a full auto AR or M16 will cost you well over $10k for the receiver or RDIAS alone. Probably around $20k for a Colt receiver.Comment
-
-
-
I think the Colts are cheaper,... more of them. M16s were $9K last I saw...like 10 years ago...LOL.
If you want to do this plan on spending major cash. It is possible, just expensive. I know a guy who bought an old Post Office building because he was a stamp collector. If you are that into guns..it is possible to get full auto in CA...like I said its expensive. If your garage doesn't have a $150K car in it....don't bother asking me how.... LOLLast edited by dieselpower; 02-27-2011, 6:07 PM.Comment
-
Just wondering, but do Marines have firearm privileges outside? Or were you talking about inside duty etc. ?Comment
-
I don't think that's how it went down, but I don't know... CA would have had to give some window for registration, perhaps the same registration required for any other "assault weapon?" I know of a few guys in CA that have MGs, so they were grandfathered somehow.
That makes sense, but Colt also commands a premium so who knows. I've never been in a financial position to seriously consider buying one, but last time I looked out of curiosity the "off-brand" receivers, RDIAS, and Colt conversions were around $10-15k and honest to God Colt M16s were $20k+.
Full auto is a lot of fun to shoot, but it only really serves a purpose as a toy or an investment, and in CA the hassle negates it's real value as an investment. It isn't really practical for defensive uses (as a Marine I'm sure you know this), and your ammo costs will quickly grow to surpass what you spent on the rifle.
I was never a Marine, I couldn't tell you. I was just directing a joke to the OP based on his screenname. My understanding is that their use of FA is limited in training, as it is not a very effective way to shoot nor is it ammo efficient. I know in the USAF we *rarely* got a chance to use our fun switches. Furthermore, few units are issued A1 lowers these days, so it would be 3 round burst not full auto. A more realistic suggestion if you want to base your career on your shooting hobby is SWAT in a large PD. I know a number of SWAT cops in CA that have take home M4s, Colt Commandos, or MP5s.Comment
-
its funny...you are paying $20,000 for a hole
now thats classicComment
-
Considering that the NFA was passed in 1934, I don't think there were very many people who had MG's without the proper paperwork by the time California increased it's restrictions.- Rich

Originally posted by dantoddA just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.Comment
-
^^^sounds like marriage!!!
baddaaa ching!!!! thank you very much!!Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,720
Posts: 25,150,810
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,829
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 19300 users online. 130 members and 19170 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment