Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

BUIS question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 13204u
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 655

    BUIS question

    I am in the process of building an m16a4 clone at the moment. I have everything short of the acog at this point. My question is what back up iron sight should I be looking for? I have never had one on any of my other AR platform rifles because they are either fixed carry handle or removable carry handle, but I never used optics on them. So what do I need to look for in a BUIS? Are there better choices than others? My rifle has a fixed front sight post if that makes any difference.
    -There is a fine line between stupid and clever.
  • #2
    AeroEngi
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 2887

    I've always heard good things about the Troy Industries BUIS.

    Comment

    • #3
      13204u
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 655

      It seems like you can't adjust for elevation though.
      -There is a fine line between stupid and clever.

      Comment

      • #4
        gun toting monkeyboy
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2008
        • 6820

        Yankeey Hill, Troy, Daniel Defense (DD), Midwest Industries(MI)... They all make several kinds of BUIS. Pick one that amuses you, and go for it. I like the MI SPLP. But I have used several of the others as well. If you are looking at one that folds down, pick one that actually has a lock or catch to keep it folded down. I had a GI Matech BUIS that was taken off an M4. The catch was so worn that it would pop open every other round.
        Originally posted by aplinker
        It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

        Comment

        • #5
          gun toting monkeyboy
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2008
          • 6820

          Originally posted by 13204u
          It seems like you can't adjust for elevation though.
          You can't adjust for elevation on many of them. You adjust the front sight so that it is the correct height fot you to hit at 200 or 300 yards, and leave it. That is why it is a back-up sight. You only use it if your primary sight goes down.
          Originally posted by aplinker
          It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

          Comment

          • #6
            tmart0311
            Member
            • Aug 2010
            • 359

            I had the GG&G rear sight on my A4

            Comment

            • #7
              2patchHero
              Junior Member
              • Sep 2010
              • 53

              A lot of guys don't run BUIS when using an ACOG.

              Comment

              • #8
                13204u
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 655

                I guess I wanted something to run while I was saving money for the acog. I may just break down and get a removable carry handle setup and then have it as a spare sight system when I get the acog. I can see now after doing some research that BUIS are just that and not much else. I figured you could adjust the front post, but that seems tedious. I figured I could keep the BUIS on with the acog in place, but I am thinking that might not be wise.
                -There is a fine line between stupid and clever.

                Comment

                • #9
                  gemini1
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 2230

                  If you want a BUIS with windage and elevation adjustments, get a Wilson Combat TR FURS, the only problem is it has a large aperture peep sight.
                  I have one, and I ask a calgner machinist to custom build a rear post with smaller peep hole. It should be done by sunday so I can maybe do a review in a couple of weeks.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Res
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2006
                    • 1633

                    Matech buis = adjustable elevation

                    --------------------------------------------
                    Dusty Miller
                    Sacramento

                    Matthew Jackson Miller: 8-6-07 to 10-15-07
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      tmart0311
                      Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 359

                      When I was in Iraq, I mounted my GG&G buis on my M4 zero'd it and left it alone through the whole deployment.. We always had weapons and sights going down through my deployment. We had a few RCO's break and had to send them to battalion..

                      Originally posted by 13204u
                      I guess I wanted something to run while I was saving money for the acog. I may just break down and get a removable carry handle setup and then have it as a spare sight system when I get the acog. I can see now after doing some research that BUIS are just that and not much else. I figured you could adjust the front post, but that seems tedious. I figured I could keep the BUIS on with the acog in place, but I am thinking that might not be wise.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        bomb_on_bus
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 5492

                        Magpul makes as good a set as anyone out there and a set of front and rear sights can be had for under 100
                        Originally posted by aklon
                        In 1775 we stood up.

                        In 1776 we announced we would not be sitting back down.

                        sigpic
                        Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Man that was some great Kool-Aid.......... hmmmmmm theres a hint of something metallic. Oh well guess I will get on with the voting.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          jasonnorcal
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 1297

                          dont really need elevation adjustments on buis. troy is low pro and will fit under the acog
                          Homer Simpson gun safety: "This is the trigger, and THIS is the part you point at whatever you want to die..."

                          Originally posted by Chuntsman949
                          does it come with a flat billed hat, and a spade shirt?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1