Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR Mag Compatability Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CA Marine
    Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 118

    AR Mag Compatability Question

    Since I will be taking possession of my S&W M&P15 really soon I have a couple questions regarding AR mags. First off, what is a good CA legal 10 round mag that is primarily used here for AR's?

    Second, are all AR mags universal for the most part? For example, (and yes I know I'm not suppose to do this) will my M16 M4 Carbine 30 round magazines fit into my S&W M&P15 and function with no issues or is a S&W very restrictive to what magazines can be used in them? If so, what magazines work well with the S&W? Just curious.
  • #2
    69Mach1
    Super Moderator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Jan 2006
    • 15032

    Yes, universal. Some rifles that use the AR type magazine system may not fit all types and varieties of AR mags. For example, the FS2000 from FN does not really work with the first gen. PMAG.
    sigpic
    69Mach1
    munkeeboi
    TURBOELKY
    antix2
    WTSGDYBBR
    tujungatoes
    jmpgnr24K

    Comment

    • #3
      pacrimguru
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2008
      • 3595

      we have 3 types of 10 round magazines that will work well with any AR, including your S&W:







      the only difference is which one you like the look of. they are all 10 rounders and CA legal in a maglocked AR.

      Comment

      • #4
        CA Marine
        Member
        • Jan 2011
        • 118

        Originally posted by pacrimguru
        we have 3 types of 10 round magazines that will work well with any AR, including your S&W:

        the only difference is which one you like the look of. they are all 10 rounders and CA legal in a maglocked AR.
        Thank you Pacrimguru! The look I like to go with is keeping the AR close to the size of the 30 round mag. I just don't think they look right with those "shortened" 10 round mags. It doesn't fit the look of what the rifle was intended in my opinion.

        I would definitly go with either the first or the second style you posted. I can't tell by the pic's, which one is closest to the normal "30" round mag size? The first or the second one?

        Comment

        • #5
          Casual_Shooter
          Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Sep 2006
          • 11741

          Originally posted by CA Marine
          I would definitly go with either the first or the second style you posted. I can't tell by the pic's, which one is closest to the normal "30" round mag size? The first or the second one?
          The first one is the 10/30 (30rd blocked to 10rd) and the second one is the 10/20 (20rd blocked to 10rd).
          Guns, dogs and home alarms. Opponents are all of a sudden advocates once their personal space is violated.

          "Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"



          Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?

          Comment

          • #6
            CA Marine
            Member
            • Jan 2011
            • 118

            Originally posted by Casual_Shooter
            The first one is the 10/30 (30rd blocked to 10rd) and the second one is the 10/20 (20rd blocked to 10rd).
            Roger that, thanks!

            Comment

            • #7
              pacrimguru
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 3595

              Originally posted by CA Marine
              Thank you Pacrimguru! The look I like to go with is keeping the AR close to the size of the 30 round mag. I just don't think they look right with those "shortened" 10 round mags. It doesn't fit the look of what the rifle was intended in my opinion.

              I would definitly go with either the first or the second style you posted. I can't tell by the pic's, which one is closest to the normal "30" round mag size? The first or the second one?
              you're welcome and yes, the first one is the standard length, "30 round" style mag but are 10 round CA legal. go ahead and click on the pics, they are linked to item descriptions.

              Comment

              • #8
                CA Marine
                Member
                • Jan 2011
                • 118

                Originally posted by pacrimguru
                you're welcome and yes, the first one is the standard length, "30 round" style mag but are 10 round CA legal. go ahead and click on the pics, they are linked to item descriptions.

                Thanks! I checked them out, VERY nice! I will be placing an order for these really soon!

                Comment

                • #9
                  eric.c
                  Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 149

                  i have the exact same rifle. i've had no problems with the pmags, cproducts, and a few other brands i forget the name of. i haven't had a AR magazine not fit the M&P 15 yet. However i did read somewhere that the magul pmags have some trouble fitting. the ones i have actualyl have the smith & wesson log and M&P 15 stamped on their as well. so just might wanna keep that in mind. and if you decide to go with pmags try to get the ones with the S&W M&P15 marked on them and you should have no problem

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CA Marine
                    Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 118

                    Originally posted by eric.c
                    i have the exact same rifle. i've had no problems with the pmags, cproducts, and a few other brands i forget the name of. i haven't had a AR magazine not fit the M&P 15 yet. However i did read somewhere that the magul pmags have some trouble fitting. the ones i have actualyl have the smith & wesson log and M&P 15 stamped on their as well. so just might wanna keep that in mind. and if you decide to go with pmags try to get the ones with the S&W M&P15 marked on them and you should have no problem
                    Thanks for the info Eric! I will check these out as well!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      komrad
                      Junior Member
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 67

                      I got my m&p 15 a couple months back and all of my pmags worked with it no issues or any filing.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CycloSteve
                        Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 220

                        As others have said the M&P works fine with CProducts and 10/20 and 10/30 blocked PMAGS. Personally I prefer the PMAG 10/20 for bench and prone shooting. You can't go wrong with Magpul, and several vendors here sell them ready-to-go at a decent price.
                        "Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

                        "Freedom is always just one generation away from extinction. We don't pass it to our children in the bloodstream; we have to fight for it and protect it, and then hand it to them so that they shall do the same, or we're going to find ourselves spending our sunset years telling our children and our children's children about a time in America, back in the day, when men and women were free." - Ronald Reagan, 1961

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Ding126
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 4393

                          C-Products
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1