Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Update: I FINALLY did it!!! AK muzzle break/mag latch problems.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Anchors
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2010
    • 5940

    Update: I FINALLY did it!!! AK muzzle break/mag latch problems.

    Read post #43


    I still can't get the brake off. It's an AK74 style muzzle brake.

    And I got the new mag release from AK builder and after FINALLY getting it all in there, it didn't fit. It's too long from the holes to the top and hits the receiver.

    I am beyond annoyed at this point.

    Last edited by Anchors; 12-31-2010, 12:41 AM. Reason: New developments.
  • #2
    Robidouxs
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 1684

    You are lucky with the magazine release latch you have, just use a screw driver to loosen the screw.
    Life is like having a map with precise directions and exact stops, you find out that your directions and stops change as you progress further down your original map.

    Comment

    • #3
      Anchors
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2010
      • 5940

      I took the screw out and there is still a rivet on the other side.

      I don't want a featureless rifle.

      Comment

      • #4
        Shady
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2010
        • 3413

        dremel that ***** off

        Comment

        • #5
          Robidouxs
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2009
          • 1684

          Hmm. At least you have only one rivet to go through. I'm looking at my magazine latch right now and it was a rivet on both sides. I suspect you are going to have to drill, punch, or press the rivet out.
          Life is like having a map with precise directions and exact stops, you find out that your directions and stops change as you progress further down your original map.

          Comment

          • #6
            Anchors
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2010
            • 5940

            Anyone know where I can even buy a normal AK mag release?...

            Comment

            • #7
              Shady
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 3413

              ak-builder.com
              gunbroker.com

              Comment

              • #8
                pyromensch
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2010
                • 6881

                gotta hacksaw, a pair or pliers, and a file. you could probably cut the thing, just beyond the bend, use the pliers to straighten it out, and file the edges smooth, without removing it.
                That may be a CG first!



                Spyder

                "You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"

                Comment

                • #9
                  Anchors
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 5940

                  Originally posted by ShadyJeff
                  dremel that ***** off
                  Now that you mention it, I could always just dremel the extension off haha. Then it will be close enough to throw the BB on.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Anchors
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 5940

                    Originally posted by pyromensch
                    gotta hacksaw, a pair or pliers, and a file. you could probably cut the thing, just beyond the bend, use the pliers to straighten it out, and file the edges smooth, without removing it.
                    Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking now.
                    I needed to get a dremel and some files anyway. Good excuse now.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Anchors
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 5940

                      Originally posted by ShadyJeff
                      ak-builder.com
                      Oh wow, ak-builder has like the cheapest shipping option of any gun site ever. Thanks!
                      Last edited by Anchors; 11-24-2010, 8:55 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Anchors
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 5940

                        Okay. So I cut down the extended release and it's too short to not be worthless.

                        Also, my ambi-release was held on by a pin with a screw that screws into a pin.

                        I'm guessing I need the normal pin with the dimples in it to install this



                        I ordered a new catch and pin from ak-builder.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Anchors
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 5940

                          *Edit* Now I can't get the muzzle brake off
                          It's an AK74 style muzzle brake.
                          Also, is it bad that the numbers on the bolt don't match the rest of the rifle?
                          Do I need to have the head space checked now?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            wilit
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 5213

                            Originally posted by RyanAnchors
                            *Edit* Now I can't get the muzzle brake off
                            It's an AK74 style muzzle brake.
                            Also, is it bad that the numbers on the bolt don't match the rest of the rifle?
                            Do I need to have the head space checked now?
                            Silly question, but do you know that AK brakes are left hand thread so they unscrew clockwise rather than counter-clockwise?
                            "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
                            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
                            "You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
                            "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Anchors
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 5940

                              Originally posted by wilit
                              Silly question, but do you know that AK brakes are left hand thread so they unscrew clockwise rather than counter-clockwise?
                              Yes. I wish that was the problem.
                              I can't get the retaining pin to go down at all.
                              I've tried screwdrivers, pin punches, nails, pocket knifes, kitchen knifes.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1