Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Commercial buffer.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ChrisO
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 4678

    Commercial buffer.

    I have a spikes lower with a commercial buffer on it. Is the lower made for a commercial buffer or are the pitch on the threads the same and same diameter and the diameter just differs on the outer portion? I'm wondering if I can change to a milspec buffer or I need to get another lower. My concerns are the mil spec is made of stronger metal and I remember reading somewhere the threads go deeper into the receiver. I don't want to have to worry about this.
  • #2
    DK9mm
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 553

    Either one will work fine.
    _____________________________________________

    sigpic

    ...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    The United States Constitution


    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Comment

    • #3
      Josh3239
      Calguns Addict
      • Dec 2006
      • 9200

      Same lower, different sizes:

      Comment

      • #4
        ChrisO
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • 4678

        Cool, Wonder why anyone would go with commercial over mil spec then? Is it cheaper or something? I guess I'll have to pick up some milspec stuff. Well a whole milspec set up is going on the accessories page with a vltor emod just to let ya guys know .

        Comment

        • #5
          tomd1584
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2008
          • 5895

          Buffer? You mean receiver extension.

          Comment

          • #6
            ChrisO
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • 4678

            Buffer tube, Correct?

            Comment

            • #7
              tomd1584
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2008
              • 5895

              Technically called receiver extension. Most people just call it the buffer tube since it houses the buffer & spring.

              Comment

              • #8
                ChrisO
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • 4678

                Well in that case yes I meant the receiver extension haha. See learn something new everyday.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Capt. Speirs
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • 1232

                  Commercial Receiver Extensions are cheaper and weaker than Milspec. If you have a choice, go Milspec, you will then have a much larger selection of stocks, IMO.
                  _____________________________________________
                  South Coast Outdoorsman
                  2736 E Chapman Ave
                  Orange CA 92869
                  714-532-4867
                  T - F (11 - 7pm) Sat (10 - 5pm) - closed Sun & Mon
                  _____________________________________________

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ChrisO
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 4678

                    But you guys are saying I can put a mil spec receiver extension on my lower, They are not milspec/commercial specific? I was confused since the OD's are different. Is it a taper?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      glockmeister
                      Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 278

                      I recently changed from commercial to milspec. I had no idea the two existed when I got it. Now that I know, milspec is what I wanted. Just an FYI, the castle nut will fit both a commercial and milspec. The buffer and spring will fit too. 28 bucks for a DD milspec tube.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Josh3239
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 9200

                        Originally posted by ChrisO
                        But you guys are saying I can put a mil spec receiver extension on my lower, They are not milspec/commercial specific? I was confused since the OD's are different. Is it a taper?
                        It is approximately .015'' different. And it is threaded. You understand that at that small of a different it is just a matter how deep the threads bite? There is no commercial tube lower nor a mil-spec tube lower. All lower extention "towers" are drilled to the same diameter and the threads are cut with the same tap. There is a very teeny tiny difference that makes no functional difference as far as screwing in the extention goes.

                        You are getting hung up on the wrong details. If you have a commercial extention you need a commercial stock. If you have a mil-spec extention you need a mil-spec stock. Commercial extentions are weaker and have less stock options. The lower is not your concern.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Nathan Krynn
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 2107

                          From the story I was told a long time ago a 4 letter word found it easier to export rifles with commercial buffer tubes and AR-15 carriers as it was not the same as USA military equipment. How true this is I don't know.
                          Nathan
                          Tactical Machining
                          1270 Biscayne Blvd
                          Deland, FL 32724
                          Phone 386-490-4464
                          fax 386-490-4890

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            tomd1584
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 5895

                            Originally posted by Josh3239
                            It is approximately .015'' different. And it is threaded. You understand that at that small of a different it is just a matter how deep the threads bite? There is no commercial tube lower nor a mil-spec tube lower. All lower extention "towers" are drilled to the same diameter and the threads are cut with the same tap. There is a very teeny tiny difference that makes no functional difference as far as screwing in the extention goes.

                            You are getting hung up on the wrong details. If you have a commercial extention you need a commercial stock. If you have a mil-spec extention you need a mil-spec stock. Commercial extentions are weaker and have less stock options. The lower is not your concern.
                            perfect explanation.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ChrisO
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • 4678

                              Originally posted by Josh3239
                              It is approximately .015'' different. And it is threaded. You understand that at that small of a different it is just a matter how deep the threads bite? There is no commercial tube lower nor a mil-spec tube lower. All lower extention "towers" are drilled to the same diameter and the threads are cut with the same tap. There is a very teeny tiny difference that makes no functional difference as far as screwing in the extention goes.

                              You are getting hung up on the wrong details. If you have a commercial extention you need a commercial stock. If you have a mil-spec extention you need a mil-spec stock. Commercial extentions are weaker and have less stock options. The lower is not your concern.
                              I know if I have a commercial spec tube I need commercial spec stock but what I was wondering if I could use either tube in any lower. Now I understand that I can. I have a commercial spec tube and commercial spec stock but I am wanting to go mil spec so I was just making sure I wouldn't waste my money. Thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate the replies.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1