Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question about bullet drop

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Prc329
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2006
    • 5603

    Question about bullet drop

    I searched but did not find the answer I was looking for.

    Assuming the world in perfect, I do my part, no wind period, and my zero is perfect at 100 yards. Shooting 168 grain black hills 308 from my Savage 10fp. How many inches low would I be at 300, and 600 yards?
    sigpic
  • #2
    30Cal
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 1487

    The standard come-ups which work for most nominal stuff you'll feed a 308 or 30-06 are:

    From 100 to 200yds, come up 2 minutes
    from 200 to 300yds, come up 3 more minutes (2 1/2 usually)
    And from 300 to 600yds, it'll be 12-14 minutes more.

    Comment

    • #3
      ocabj
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2005
      • 7924

      Why not just run the ballistics information in JBM?

      The 2-3-11 rule is good for getting on paper for 200-300-600 on a High Power Rifle target.

      Distinguished Rifleman #1924
      NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
      NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

      https://www.ocabj.net

      Comment

      • #4
        kap
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2006
        • 1324

        Break out you wind speed meter, thermometer, barometer and humidity meters. Ballisticard probably more information than any person at the range really needs to know on one little laminated card.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          ocabj
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2005
          • 7924

          Again, just use JBM. Plug in your recorded MV of the ammo out of your specific rifle along with the correct bullet. That's it. Why pay for a "Ballisticard" when all they're doing is using a ballistic calculator like the free JBM calculator? You're just paying for the fancy lamination.

          Distinguished Rifleman #1924
          NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
          NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

          https://www.ocabj.net

          Comment

          • #6
            kap
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2006
            • 1324

            I have tried the JBM calculator and while their numbers are the same as ballisticards, their lack of color coding corresponding the average ambient temperature really affected my ability to hit the target.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Pthfndr
              In Memoriam
              • Oct 2005
              • 3691

              Originally posted by kap
              I have tried the JBM calculator and while their numbers are the same as ballisticards, their lack of color coding corresponding the average ambient temperature really affected my ability to hit the target.
              NO ballistics program will more than get you on paper, no matter how much info it provides. You will need to CONFIRM everything by actually shooting the rifle with the chosen load.

              I shoot 1000 yard competition, and I seriously doubt anyone else who does will disagree with me. I've had ballistics programs be off as much as 4 MOA at 900 and 1000 yards.
              Rob Thomas - Match Director NCPPRC Tactical Long Range Match

              Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match

              Comment

              • #8
                Prc329
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2006
                • 5603

                Thanks for the info guys. I was looking for the very basic information. I need to play with jbm. All the info I seem to find on my chosen factory load is velocity,
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  nic
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • 1289

                  Stupid question here, but what is JBM?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rksimple
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 6257

                    Originally posted by kap
                    I have tried the JBM calculator and while their numbers are the same as ballisticards, their lack of color coding corresponding the average ambient temperature really affected my ability to hit the target.


                    What? You can do the same thing in JBM. That company does the same thing you can do on JBM. If ambient temperature is your problem, the ballisticards can only adjust for pressure density really. How are they going to know how temperature sensitive your load is? In my last match, I was more than 2 MOA high just from a 25-30 degree temp swing (I know; time to switch powders). There are far more variables than meet the eye.

                    Pthfndr said it right. Those programs will get you on paper, but you need to confirm everything by shooting your rifle at various known distances and conditions.
                    Last edited by rksimple; 05-07-2007, 8:28 AM.
                    GAP Team Shooter 5

                    Comment

                    • #11
                    • #12
                      ocabj
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 7924

                      Originally posted by Pthfndr
                      NO ballistics program will more than get you on paper, no matter how much info it provides. You will need to CONFIRM everything by actually shooting the rifle with the chosen load.

                      I shoot 1000 yard competition, and I seriously doubt anyone else who does will disagree with me. I've had ballistics programs be off as much as 4 MOA at 900 and 1000 yards.
                      True. But I've found that JBM's calculations are very close, at least for mid range.

                      At the US Navy Pacific Fleet EIC Match last Thursday, the slow fire prone stage was fired at 500 yards (as opposed to 600). I had never fired my 600 yard load at 500 yards before. According to the JBM table I had printed out using my load information (MV and bullet), it said I needed 4.1 to 4.3 MOA down from my 600 yard zero. Since EIC matches have no sighters, I was going on faith. My 600 yard zero is +60 from bottom. So 4MOA with 1/4 MOA clicks is 16. I dialed in +44 from bottom. Took a shot. Wide 8 to the left (due to wind), but dead on for elevation. Ended up dialing down 1/2 MOA due to the lighting condtions during the 1st 10 round string, but the dope was good.

                      Of course, all this is in my data book so I have a live fire reference to go back to.

                      Distinguished Rifleman #1924
                      NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
                      NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

                      https://www.ocabj.net

                      Comment

                      • #13
                        Mute
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 8596

                        If you can fill in the correct parameters, especially the velocity of your chosen ammo for your rifle, JBM is very accurate.
                        NRA Benefactor Life Member
                        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor, CA DOJ Certified CCW Instructor, RSO


                        American Marksman Training Group
                        Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page

                        Comment

                        • #14
                          rksimple
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 6257

                          When I did a 1000 yard shoot at Sac Valley, JBM was off by 2 MOA at that distance for my load. Granted, I didn't have the barometer reading for that morning, but 21 inches is a lot if you want to win.
                          GAP Team Shooter 5

                          Comment

                          • #15
                            Prc329
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2006
                            • 5603

                            Time to buy a chronograph along with my dillon I am ordering.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1