Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

M1a flash hider question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bambihunter
    Member
    • May 2009
    • 205

    M1a flash hider question

    I have a m1a from 1999, I took off the factory flash hider to comply with the upcoming 2000 AW ban. I did not want to reg the gun. Since the ban is done can I put the flash hider/bayo. lug back on and still be able to rock 20 round detachable mags? I still have the factory (non pistol grip) stock on it. Thanks in advance....
    The gun doesn't smell loaded.
  • #2
    NapaCountyShooter
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 2417

    Negative. You must keep it completely featureless to have detatchable mags let alone high caps. If you want your flash hider, you need to have a mag lock and will then have to have 10 round capacity mags.
    Jonah

    Comment

    • #3
      kf6tac
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2009
      • 1779

      Originally posted by bambihunter
      Since the ban is done
      The only ban that is done is the federal AW ban. California's AW bans are still very alive.


      Statements I make on this forum should not be construed as giving legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

      Comment

      • #4
        Mssr. Eleganté
        Blue Blaze Irregular
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 10401

        Originally posted by bambihunter
        ...Since the ban is done can I put the flash hider/bayo. lug back on and still be able to rock 20 round detachable mags?
        The ban is not done. It is still going strong. You are mixing up the California SB23 ban with the 1994-2004 Federal ban.
        __________________

        "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

        Comment

        • #5
          telcolineman
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • 2624

          No hider, you can run a muzzle brake though. And still use the 20 rd. mags, Or I have a 10rd. I will sell you for $20 plus ship
          NRA Life Member

          Comment

          • #6
            semiautosniper
            Member
            • Jul 2009
            • 141

            Wait, if you use a muzzle brake, you can use a 20 rd magazine? What about the high cap ban? I think your M1a needs be a registered AW with flashhider, and the mag must be pre-ban. And if you have a old USGI mag, I don't think you can use it on a unregistered M1a with a muzzle brake. Please correct me if I am wrong here... I very curious... Because people can still buy old USGI M14 mag kits, and even though it is made pre-ban, I don't think you can use it on a new M1A with muzzle brake until you have receipt to show that you purchased this M1A pre-ban.

            Comment

            • #7
              Mssr. Eleganté
              Blue Blaze Irregular
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Oct 2005
              • 10401

              Originally posted by semiautosniper
              Wait, if you use a muzzle brake, you can use a 20 rd magazine? What about the high cap ban? I think your M1a needs be a registered AW with flashhider, and the mag must be pre-ban. And if you have a old USGI mag, I don't think you can use it on a unregistered M1a with a muzzle brake. Please correct me if I am wrong here... I very curious... Because people can still buy old USGI M14 mag kits, and even though it is made pre-ban, I don't think you can use it on a new M1A with muzzle brake until you have receipt to show that you purchased this M1A pre-ban.
              You are mixing the large cap magazine ban and the assault weapon ban together and getting confused. The AW ban only mentions mag capacity in regards to fixed magazine firearms. The AW ban doesn't differentiate between capacity to accept large capacity detachable magazines or low capacity detachable magazines.

              A standard M1A with a flash hider is considered an "assault weapon" in California because it is a semi-auto rifle that takes detachable magazines (of any capacity) and it has one evil feature (the flash hider).

              If you replace the flash hider with a muzzle brake then you have removed the evil feature and the rifle is no longer an "assault weapon" in California.

              If your firearm has a detachable magazine then magazine use is not regulated in California. You can use any magazine that you legally possess in an M1A as long as it is a detachable magazine and not a fixed magazine.

              You can no longer legally sell, give, loan, import, or manufacture large capacity magazines in California.

              If you legally own large capacity magazines that work in an M1A then you can go out and buy a new M1A tomorrow and then use those magazines in your new M1A.
              Last edited by Mssr. Eleganté; 04-21-2010, 7:40 PM.
              __________________

              "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

              Comment

              • #8
                semiautosniper
                Member
                • Jul 2009
                • 141

                Thanks for the information Elegante. So if this is true, then the featureless AR15 could also use detachable 20 rd USGI magazine also?

                But what if police did a routine vehicle search and discovers the featureless M1A or AR15 with a 20 rd mag, and they might still seize it and put you through a lot of trouble because he/she may not be well-versed with the guns laws and jumps at the first sight of a high capacity magazine.

                I am just curious... are there any M1A owners who frequently use the legally purchased pre-ban 20 rd magazines? Anyone got into unnecessary trouble because of it?

                Comment

                • #9
                  bambihunter
                  Member
                  • May 2009
                  • 205

                  I have never gotten sweated using my old 20 rounders...
                  The gun doesn't smell loaded.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    dfletcher
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 14811

                    Originally posted by bambihunter
                    I have a m1a from 1999, I took off the factory flash hider to comply with the upcoming 2000 AW ban. I did not want to reg the gun. Since the ban is done can I put the flash hider/bayo. lug back on and still be able to rock 20 round detachable mags? I still have the factory (non pistol grip) stock on it. Thanks in advance....
                    Buy this. Attach it and you're done, use all the +10 round mags you want.

                    GOA Member & SAF Life Member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      chino
                      Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 314

                      Alternative muzzle brakes from SEI
                      Smith Enterprise Inc. is a veteran-owned Arizona manufacturer of precision firearm components, M14/M1A upgrades, suppressors, and custom rifle systems.


                      I have the first one, works well as a brake.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57182

                        Originally posted by semiautosniper
                        Thanks for the information Elegante. So if this is true, then the featureless AR15 could also use detachable 20 rd USGI magazine also?
                        Yes.
                        Possession of large capacity magazines is not illegal.
                        It sounds like you need to read-up on featureless builds.

                        You might get arrested for jaywalking if the policeman did not see that you were in a crosswalk.
                        Some things are too petty to worry about though.
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1