Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR Upper reciever ID spec

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ucb
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 296

    AR Upper reciever ID spec

    I have a mega billet upper (m4 feeds)
    DD CHF barrel (M4 feeds)

    The barrel doesnt full insert into the upper (gets about 5-6mm away before seizing) . I measured the barrel OD, its right at 1.00" as it should be for an M4 profile

    So checked the ID of the receiver, its 1" max and a few thousandths under in some areas.

    So my question is, what is the standard tolerance/spec for the ID. Im guessing it should be 1.002 + 0.002/-0.00 or something like that.
    Last edited by ucb; 03-19-2010, 10:05 AM.
  • #2
    bender152
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • 4237

    I built an upper with a Noveske barrel and a Vltor receiver that had very close tolerances.

    I lightly tapped in the barrel with a mallet. Only took a few taps for the barrel to go in.

    Comment

    • #3
      ucb
      Member
      • Jan 2010
      • 296

      Tried that, even fully cleaned with some lithium grease

      Its ok, I called mega, they said they'd replace it. Although they did mention they machine them a little smaller than most.

      Comment

      • #4
        Argonaut
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 1352

        I might try some dry ice on the barrel prior to fitting

        Comment

        • #5
          bender152
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • 4237

          That's some good customer service by Mega. And perhaps they've run into this before since they did mention that they machine them a bit tighter.

          Comment

          • #6
            shark92651
            Vendor/Retailer
            • Oct 2006
            • 5431

            I had a tight fit last night between a DD barrel and the mega monolithic but was able to tap it in using a little lithium grease and a rubber mallet while the upper was in the panther claw in the vise.
            sigpic
            www.riflegear.com

            Comment

            • #7
              ucb
              Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 296

              Yeah im not sure if I want to do that. Barrel removal in the future will be a pain. And in my case, light tapping didn't do the trick
              Last edited by ucb; 03-19-2010, 11:30 AM.

              Comment

              • #8
                ar15barrels
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2006
                • 57179

                A tight fit between reciever and barrel extension is a GOOD thing.
                Hit the reciever with a heat gun or torch to get it to about 300 degrees.
                It will open right up.
                Slip the barrel in and it will shrink back into place as it cools.

                Barrel extensions should be 1.000" -0.0005" / +0.0000"
                Recievers should be 1.000" -0.0000" / +0.0020" for the first inch of the reciever bore, starting from the front.
                Then the reciever bore steps up to 1.0070" where the bolt carrier runs.
                Randall Rausch

                AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                Comment

                • #9
                  CHS
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 11338

                  I've noticed that DD barrel extensions seem to be a bit on the large side, and are tight in most uppers.

                  Do what Randall suggested and/or hit it with a rubber mallet after applying anti-seize grease to the extension.
                  Please read the Calguns Wiki
                  Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
                  --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Joe788
                    Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 135

                    You could also just use some lapping compound and knock a few tenths off of the anodize in about a minute or two.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ucb
                      Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 296

                      Thanks for the info Randall. I've measured the barrel, its 1.00" +0/-0.003

                      Receiver is 1.00" MAX. Under by a few thousandths in a few areas depends on how I place the calipers.

                      So it looks like the combo of a very slightly over-sized barrel perhaps and a very slightly under-sized receiver. I'll try a few things tonight. If im not happy with the results I'll send it back to Mega. They also suggest the heat-treatment

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57179

                        Originally posted by ucb
                        So it looks like the combo of a very slightly over-sized barrel perhaps and a very slightly under-sized receiver. I'll try a few things tonight. If im not happy with the results I'll send it back to Mega. They also suggest the heat-treatment
                        Just heat it up and slide it together, don't bother with anything else that would remove metal.
                        If you ever need to get it back apart, the same thing works because aluminum expands much more than steel at the same temperature.
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Calif Mini
                          Vendor/Retailer
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 473

                          AR Upper receiver ID spec

                          Listen to Randall as he has done this a bunch of times.

                          I can, and have recommended him to other Cal-gunners needing help with critical items that if done wrong may ruin parts permanently.

                          Anything that removes metal on critical fitted parts, that is not controllable, has got to be used as a last resort.

                          I was thinking of hot (boiling) water. A torch, in the hands of someone inexperienced, can ruin the finish at the least, and even melt sharp edges if you fall asleep at the switch. The tip of the flame on a torch is 3 times hotter than needed to melt aluminum.
                          .....AR 15 tools.....
                          www.edsmetalshop.com
                          Tools@RobertsUSA.com

                          http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...07#post8521107

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ar15barrels
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 57179

                            Originally posted by Calif Mini
                            I was thinking of hot (boiling) water.
                            Boiling water would probably work too, just make sure that the reciever comes up to temperature enough that all the water steams it's way off before you slide the barrel in.
                            No need to trap unnecessary moisture in between the barrel extension and the reciever.
                            Randall Rausch

                            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              aplinker
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 16762

                              Hair dryer.

                              Use the diffuser attachment to prevent split ends.

                              Google Map of OLL Dealers

                              List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
                              Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
                              This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1