Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Saiga 223 conversion help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • damndave
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Oct 2008
    • 10858

    Saiga 223 conversion help

    I have posted a few times on the saiga-12 forum a little but haven't gotten the answers needed yet from there. Hopefully someone on here knows.

    Well so far this is what I am getting

    Tapco G2 FCG Single Hook
    KVAR Poly furniture set (4 pieces) Do I need to buy a new gas tube and lower handguard retainer?

    From dinzagarms
    Trigger guard with screws etc
    PG Nut and Screw
    Hitch Pin Clip (In place of the Shepherd's Crook?)

    Any help or suggestions will be appreciated
  • #2
    69Mach1
    Super Moderator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Jan 2006
    • 15032

    Yes, you will need a new gas tube and a dinzag LH retainer, or make one yourself. Are you sticking with the factory Saiga .223 10 round magazine?
    sigpic
    69Mach1
    munkeeboi
    TURBOELKY
    antix2
    WTSGDYBBR
    tujungatoes
    jmpgnr24K

    Comment

    • #3
      SJgunguy24
      I need a LIFE!!
      • May 2008
      • 14849

      Yes, you will also need to modify or press off the front sight and gas block to install the lower handguard retainer. Dinzag sells one for 80$

      You may also need to cut the notches in the barrel for the retainer latch.
      There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
      The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
      The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
      The others, well......they just never learn.

      "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
      Patrick Henry.

      Comment

      • #4
        69Mach1
        Super Moderator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Jan 2006
        • 15032

        What year Saiga do you have?
        sigpic
        69Mach1
        munkeeboi
        TURBOELKY
        antix2
        WTSGDYBBR
        tujungatoes
        jmpgnr24K

        Comment

        • #5
          C_1
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2008
          • 1504

          That looks good to me. You might want to add a mag lock

          Perhaps nylon plugs if your not going to weld the holes. Then paint to make it pretty. And loctite for the screws holding on your trigger guard.

          I think the Tapco G2 has to be modified to work in a Saiga. It needs to have a ramp in the hammer so the bolt carrier doesnt hang on it.

          And to use the KVAR handguards, you need a standard AK gas tube and lower handguard retainer (a modified standard, press off blocks to install or the $85 Dinzag).

          Comment

          • #6
            damndave
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Oct 2008
            • 10858

            Originally posted by 69Mach1
            Yes, you will need a new gas tube and a dinzag LH retainer, or make one yourself. Are you sticking with the factory Saiga .223 10 round magazine?
            Do i want the bolt on or press on?

            Yes, I'm just going to use the factory mags.

            Comment

            • #7
              damndave
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Oct 2008
              • 10858

              Originally posted by 69Mach1
              What year Saiga do you have?
              Not sure? It seems pretty new. Seller says about 100 rds through it.

              I'm doing the PPT on Sat


              Last edited by damndave; 03-18-2010, 8:49 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                C_1
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2008
                • 1504

                If you have a press, and can remove the front sight and gas block, then installing the standard handguard retainer is not a problem, but if you dont, the clamp on Dinzag is about the only other option. You can modify a standard handguard retainer..

                Comment

                • #9
                  damndave
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Oct 2008
                  • 10858

                  I dont have a press. The least amount of fabricating the better for me.

                  ok so here is my new list of what I am going to buy

                  Tapco G2 FCG
                  KVAR black poly 4 piece furniture set (unless I can find a nice wood set)

                  From Dinzagarms
                  Bolt-on retainer
                  Gas Tube
                  retaining Plate
                  trigger guard (screws & plugs etc included)
                  nylon hole plugs (6)
                  hitch pin clips

                  What else do I need?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    69Mach1
                    Super Moderator
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 15032

                    That's it, and a mag lock. You're good to go.
                    sigpic
                    69Mach1
                    munkeeboi
                    TURBOELKY
                    antix2
                    WTSGDYBBR
                    tujungatoes
                    jmpgnr24K

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      damndave
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Oct 2008
                      • 10858

                      Originally posted by 69Mach1
                      That's it, and a mag lock. You're good to go.
                      thanks.

                      man this is more money that i thought it was going to be. BUT, in the end I will have a Russian AK!!!!!!!!!!!! What's better is that it is in 223!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        69Mach1
                        Super Moderator
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 15032

                        I have 5 Saiga rifles and they are all great. I have to replace the .223 carbine I sold. You have to have a Russian (although it's not an AKM) Kalashnikov in your collection.
                        sigpic
                        69Mach1
                        munkeeboi
                        TURBOELKY
                        antix2
                        WTSGDYBBR
                        tujungatoes
                        jmpgnr24K

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          damndave
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Oct 2008
                          • 10858

                          Originally posted by 69Mach1
                          I have 5 Saiga rifles and they are all great. I have to replace the .223 carbine I sold. You have to have a Russian (although it's not an AKM) Kalashnikov in your collection.
                          I agree. Any suggestions on where to get some wood furniture? I don't mine if I have to refinish them.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            frigginchi
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2007
                            • 1160



                            Originally posted by AlliedArmory
                            I agree. Any suggestions on where to get some wood furniture? I don't mine if I have to refinish them.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              damndave
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Oct 2008
                              • 10858

                              yea I was looking at them. What is their turn around time on these?

                              I was looking through the sets...which one would I be needing? #2R set?

                              This stock set counts towards 922r right?


                              OUCH! getting ready to put my order in on dinzag and saw this...Expected delivery is 2-4 weeks for normal parts
                              Last edited by damndave; 03-18-2010, 9:28 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1