Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Registered AR Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sn1088
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2007
    • 21

    Registered AR Question

    I have a registered Bushmaster and have some questions. I feel silly for not knowing this, but I haven't researched the gun laws much after I registered my rifle years ago and I don't go on the internet much to forums such as this one (nice site though).

    Anyway, I want to replace the upper on my rifle with another Bushmaster upper (possibly another manufacturer, but not sure). What features can the upper have since the Federal AWB has passed? Can it have a threaded barrel or flash suppressor? I understand the length issue (I'll keep it within 30" or so total length). What about the stock, mine is the standard A2 stock. Can I replace this with a collapsible/telescoping stock?

    Appreciate any information.
  • #2
    E Pluribus Unum
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2006
    • 8098

    Originally posted by sn1088
    I have a registered Bushmaster and have some questions. I feel silly for not knowing this, but I haven't researched the gun laws much after I registered my rifle years ago and I don't go on the internet much to forums such as this one (nice site though).

    Anyway, I want to replace the upper on my rifle with another Bushmaster upper (possibly another manufacturer, but not sure). What features can the upper have since the Federal AWB has passed? Can it have a threaded barrel or flash suppressor? I understand the length issue (I'll keep it within 30" or so total length). What about the stock, mine is the standard A2 stock. Can I replace this with a collapsible/telescoping stock?

    Appreciate any information.
    I will lend you a fireproof suit.... the flames are coming....

    Use the search... your question is asked at least once every two weeks.

    The federal AWB was passed in 1994 and sunset in 2004... it is gone now...

    If you have a registered AW you can have whatever features you want including a 50 caliber upper which is banned for the most of us.

    Have fun... your registered AW assures your constitutional rights for as long as you live....
    Originally posted by Alan Gura
    The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
    Originally posted by hoffmang
    12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

    -Gene
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      sn1088
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2007
      • 21

      Flame suit on

      For others I once again apologize for asking this. I'm getting old forgive me. I did just do a search as you suggested. I like this site, very informative. I'll have to stop by more often (when the wife and kids give me time, ha, ha!!).

      Take care all and happy shooting!

      Comment

      • #4
        adamsreeftank
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 2244

        One thing to keep in mind:

        Just buying a gun and filling out whatever paperwork there was at the time does not mean you have a registered AW.

        You needed to actually file the AW registration paperwork with the CA DOJ. If you did that, congratulations. Have fun with your pistol griped, mag dropping rifle. If you lost your paperwork then you can get a new copy from the DOJ.

        If you didn't do the "official" AW registration paperwork, then you might have a problem. To put it mildly.

        Comment

        • #5
          sn1088
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2007
          • 21

          Originally posted by adamsreeftank
          One thing to keep in mind:

          Just buying a gun and filling out whatever paperwork there was at the time does not mean you have a registered AW.

          You needed to actually file the AW registration paperwork with the CA DOJ. If you did that, congratulations. Have fun with your pistol griped, mag dropping rifle. If you lost your paperwork then you can get a new copy from the DOJ.

          If you didn't do the "official" AW registration paperwork, then you might have a problem. To put it mildly.
          DOJ got my application years ago, along with 20 bucks and my right thumb print

          I completely understand where you're coming from. I can only imagine there are folks that think doing DROS paperwork makes their rifle (in the case of an AR or AR lower receiver) legit with DOJ.

          Comment

          • #6
            TheMan
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2006
            • 766

            Originally posted by E Pluribus Unum
            Have fun... your registered AW assures your constitutional rights for as long as you live....
            ... or the laws change, whichever comes first.

            Comment

            • #7
              bwiese
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Oct 2005
              • 27622

              Originally posted by sn1088
              I completely understand where you're coming from. I can only imagine there are folks that think doing DROS paperwork makes their rifle (in the case of an AR or AR lower receiver) legit with DOJ.
              Many folks were indeed under this impression due to a wholly inadequate DOJ FD promulgation effort. A few cards were placed in gun shops and ranges, and some TV ads were taken out on the midnight Mexican wrestling channel. (There may have been a radio ad or two, not sure.) One or two ad buys later in 2000 made it to mainline TV stations but that was it.

              [I know a guy who lost his AR10T because of that. He'd gotten it in the late 90s, and right before he went to Oregon in 2000 for an extended visit I asked him if he'd specially registered his AR to which he'd replied in the affirmative. He then returned to CA afterwards. In 2002, an event at the family home, (where he was staying before he moved to another location) triggered by an unstable elderly senior and a problem brother led to police contact. The AW was found, was determined not to be reg'd, etc. etc. The cops were nice enough to just seize the gun and not file charges - and they let him take the scope & mount, sling, etc.]

              Bill Wiese
              San Jose, CA

              CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member
              sigpic
              No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
              to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
              ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
              employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
              legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

              Comment

              • #8
                sn1088
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2007
                • 21

                Originally posted by bwiese
                Many folks were indeed under this impression due to a wholly inadequate DOJ FD promulgation effort. A few cards were placed in gun shops and ranges, and some TV ads were taken out on the midnight Mexican wrestling channel. (There may have been a radio ad or two, not sure.) One or two ad buys later in 2000 made it to mainline TV stations but that was it.

                [I know a guy who lost his AR10T because of that. He'd gotten it in the late 90s, and right before he went to Oregon in 2000 for an extended visit I asked him if he'd specially registered his AR to which he'd replied in the affirmative. He then returned to CA afterwards. In 2002, an event at the family home, (where he was staying before he moved to another location) triggered by an unstable elderly senior and a problem brother led to police contact. The AW was found, was determined not to be reg'd, etc. etc. The cops were nice enough to just seize the gun and not file charges - and they let him take the scope & mount, sling, etc.]

                Well, that there is just downright terrible that that happened. Poor guy.

                Comment

                • #9
                  tiger222
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 2396

                  you can do whatever you like as long as you do not violate any NFA laws.
                  Seriously missing the 80's.....

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bwiese
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 27622

                    Originally posted by sn1088
                    Well, that there is just downright terrible that that happened. Poor guy.
                    Yup. This has happend way more often than you think, with worse consequences.

                    Don Kilmer (gun lawyer) says 80+% of all CA AW violations are triggered by domestic situations.

                    And that doesn't mean wife beatings, etc. - there are a vareity of noncriminal reasons that LEOs can enter your home. (Emergencies, accidents, your kid gets in trouble, etc.). Once they're there, things start becoming fair game.

                    Bill Wiese
                    San Jose, CA

                    CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member
                    sigpic
                    No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
                    to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
                    ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
                    employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
                    legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      E Pluribus Unum
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 8098

                      Originally posted by bwiese
                      And that doesn't mean wife beatings, etc. - there are a vareity of noncriminal reasons that LEOs can enter your home. (Emergencies, accidents, your kid gets in trouble, etc.). Once they're there, things start becoming fair game.
                      As discussed in a previous post. Local leos entered a closed gate to gain entry to an otherwise locked house and found one door in the back unlocked. They gained entry to the house and inspected the plain-view contents of every single room.

                      All this because there were about 6 unread newspapers on the front porch.
                      Originally posted by Alan Gura
                      The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
                      Originally posted by hoffmang
                      12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

                      -Gene
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1