Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Installing a free float and a muzzle brake

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 1norcalvarmintHunter
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 981

    Installing a free float and a muzzle brake

    Anyone hear know what free float kits do and do not require a seperately purchased barrel nut? I was thinking of a yhm, or just a standard cheap round aluminum tube style.

    Also wondering if anyone here has a muzzle break on there varmint or bull contoured barrel? If so which one and do they make them in stainless?

    If not i was just gonna have to use my buddies 4-axis milling machine and make one A little beer and some power tool, i think it would look pretty good and be fun to do!

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 1norcalvarmintHunter; 03-05-2007, 11:42 PM.
    "It is plain and simple if our regular law abiding population is forced to be unarmed we will then fall victim to prey as those with arms will become our predators."
  • #2
    mike452
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 1510

    Most FF tubes I see do come with barrel nuts. One came with my $35 tube and also the $95 YHM.

    It think OPS Inc has one for the bull barrel in SS. It was very close to 1" outer diameter. I would say it is a waste of money because of the weight of the bull barrel. Maybe for a 16" 308.
    ======

    Comment

    • #3
      Technical Ted
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2005
      • 12169

      Most tubular FF fore ends come with a specific barrel nut.

      If you're on a budget between $90 and $150, look into the YHM customizable, the Hogue free float or the JP Enterprises/Viking Tactical.

      SAMSON MANUFACTURING QUALITY GUARANTEED | MADE IN USA Samson Manufacturing is the leading manufacturer of top-tier firearms parts and accessories, proudly serving as a trusted U.S. Government Defense contractor (Cage 037R7). We are committed to providing unparalleled solutions to our customers. With a sharp focus on AR-15, HK, Kalashnikov, and various other MSR enhancements, Samson produces an expansive array of cutting-edge products. Our lineup includes; free-floating handguards, mounts for optics and magnifiers, fixed and folding rifle sights, and much more. Driven by our dedication to excellence and innovation, we have consistently delivered superior quality and value to commercial, military, law enforcement, and OEM markets since 1994.



      I have the JP rifle length on my SPR and I just ordered a mid-length to replace the YHM on my 16" WOA SS match barreled upper.

      The OPS, Inc. R3E2C 4 port is the brake mike452 is speaking of:
      Find information, resources and relevant links for opsinc.us. This domain may be for sale.


      There's also the PRI/MSTN Quiet Control brake:


      I have both, but actually think the PRI/MSTN QC brake is the more effective of the two.
      Last edited by Technical Ted; 03-06-2007, 12:48 AM.
      Originally posted by ChrisTKHarris
      That is one of the most idiotic statements I've heard. You are a retard.

      Comment

      • #4
        Prc329
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2006
        • 5603

        Is your barrel threaded?
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          draconianruler
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2006
          • 1590

          Is it easy to thread a barrel? Let's say I have access to some plumming equipment, would it be easy to do?
          sigpicNRA LIFE MEMBER

          Comment

          • #6
            1norcalvarmintHunter
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2007
            • 981

            Drac...

            You should really have it done by a gunsmith or a maxhinist who is very skilled. Dont try to use any dies to thread your barrel, it just wont work. YOu need a lathe!
            "It is plain and simple if our regular law abiding population is forced to be unarmed we will then fall victim to prey as those with arms will become our predators."

            Comment

            • #7
              mltrading
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2006
              • 1251

              Yes, you need a lathe to thread the bull barrel.
              ML TRADING
              e-mail
              +1 408 582 3156

              Comment

              • #8
                jester
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2002
                • 855

                Randall at AR15BARRELS.com, I can't stress enough how good his work and turn-around time is....

                Comment

                • #9
                  shark92651
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 5431

                  I think most of the tubes that are non-railed are the type that require a special barrel nut. If you really do not want to replace the nut you can go with a two-piece bolt on type, but those are normally railed and more expensive.
                  sigpic
                  www.riflegear.com

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    adamsreeftank
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 2244

                    There is a page on AR15.com that has pictures and descriptions of the different float tubes. Poke around a bit and you will find it.

                    There are lots of options for muzzle brakes. It just depends on the look and function you want.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      xenophobe
                      In Memoriam
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 7069

                      If you want to install a FFHG that does not require the barrel nut be changed or removed, you'll have to spend a little more, but both the Troy and Sampson rails bolt on... all you would need to do is cut the delta ring and spring.

                      Be careful with the JP FFHG, they're really nice, but they're very difficult to install. If you're not familiar with installing free float handguards and aren't very mechanically inclined, you will most likely get headaches.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Prc329
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Oct 2006
                        • 5603

                        All two piece rails I believe you do not have to remove the barrel nut. Well I know YHM and MI rails you do not.

                        Shop firearms, accessories, and more at Midwest Industries, Inc. — all made with the American quality you expect and deserve.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          shark92651
                          Vendor/Retailer
                          • Oct 2006
                          • 5431

                          Originally posted by Prc329
                          All two piece rails I believe you do not have to remove the barrel nut. Well I know YHM and MI rails you do not.

                          http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...t_forearms.htm
                          Unfortunately, the YHM two-piece forearms are not free-float - they just replace the standard forearms but require the delta ring and end-cap. I have installed a YHM light-weight free float on one of my uppers and a MI two-peice free float on another. It definitely was easier to install the MI free-float. If you have the tools (vice, action block, punches, YHM wrench or armorer's wrench) then installing the barrel-nut floaters is not too difficult.
                          sigpic
                          www.riflegear.com

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Prc329
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2006
                            • 5603

                            I have a YHM free floats on all three rifles. They can be a pain if you do not own the wrench. I do so it was no biggy. You can use a armorer's wrench but you really need to use the YHM one. It makes things so much easier.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1