Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Installing a Surefire MB556k muzzle brake. Help!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • surfNshoot
    CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
    • Mar 2008
    • 1444

    Installing a Surefire MB556k muzzle brake. Help!

  • #2
    Stockton
    Vendor/Retailer
    • Oct 2007
    • 1316

    Dont have written instruction but here's a step by step video:

    http://youtu.be/7Ii2kyQP-Is

    Comment

    • #3
      surfNshoot
      CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
      • Mar 2008
      • 1444

      Ahhh Haa!!! should have searched flash hider as well. Now where do I get that chart he used for indexing? I'm going to check Surefire right now.

      Comment

      • #4
        surfNshoot
        CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
        • Mar 2008
        • 1444

        Don't see that chart anywhere. Anyone?

        Comment

        • #5
          surfNshoot
          CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
          • Mar 2008
          • 1444

          Just called surefire. Nice customer service. They will be emailing me the indexing wheel in PDF. I will post it so others have it.

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57179

            I'll just tell you that you need to add 0.001" per 10 degrees.
            Allow 20 degrees of thread crush.
            Spin the muzzle device on and make an approximation of the number of degrees that is needs to BACK OFF in order to properly index.
            Add 20 degrees to that figure.
            Divide that degrees figure by 10,000.
            Install that amount of shims.
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              surfNshoot
              CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
              • Mar 2008
              • 1444

              Thanks Randall!!! I have it indexed and ready to crush now. Of course I need the gas block on first. Will be contacting you shortly about stopping by to assemble this thing.

              Comment

              • #8
                X-NewYawker
                In Memoriam
                • May 2008
                • 5993

                SF muzzle devices dont use crush washers. They use solid washers of different thicknesses -- you find the proper combo of washers to index the brake, then with their supplied super lock-tight you put the brake on.

                Comment

                • #9
                  X-NewYawker
                  In Memoriam
                  • May 2008
                  • 5993

                  You shouldn't be CRUSHING anything. Call CRaig in the Surefire machine shop before you ruin brake and gun: (714) 545-9444

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    X-NewYawker
                    In Memoriam
                    • May 2008
                    • 5993

                    I have personally installed five of these brakes on my ars and m1-As. You screw the brake on your gun -- you will see it is off a certain number of degrees -- the instruction sheet tells you the value of each washer (they are color coded) you use the combination of washers needed to index the brake, then apply glue to threads, and tighten brake down with your wrench until it is tight -- not beyond human tightening.


                    Comment

                    • #11
                      PaperPuncher
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 999

                      + 1 on NO crush washer for SF brake. This is in their instructions. They should have also sent the proper indexing diagram, selection of shims, and locktite with the brake. If you do not have these items I am sure the number X-NewYawker provided will get you to the right people.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57179

                        Originally posted by X-NewYawker
                        You shouldn't be CRUSHING anything.
                        Did you read my instructions?
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          i1800collect
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 1814

                          Originally posted by ar15barrels
                          Did you read my instructions?
                          pretty sure x-newyawker was talking to the OP, who said this right after you gave him your instructions.

                          Originally posted by Casurfballa
                          Thanks Randall!!! I have it indexed and ready to crush now. Of course I need the gas block on first. Will be contacting you shortly about stopping by to assemble this thing.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            slappomatt
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 668

                            the reason they don't use a crush washer is because its made to hold a suppressor and needs to seal. Being in CA you wont be using one so a crush washer (assuming it fits) would be fine.
                            My Current AR15 Config.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ar15barrels
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 57179

                              Originally posted by slappomatt
                              the reason they don't use a crush washer is because its made to hold a suppressor and needs to seal.
                              Not because it needs to seal.
                              It uses shims because it needs to sit perfectly square on the barrel and crush washers don't guarantee squareness like shims do.

                              I agree that a crush washer is fine though if you don't ever mount a can on it.
                              Randall Rausch

                              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1