Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lubes?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PonchoTA
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2007
    • 2289

    Lubes?

    Hi guys,

    Well, had my first real problems with the AR yesterday at the Burro shoot. Seems my assembly was not lubricated enough. Never had this problem in the last year of shooting with no changes to my setup or technique.

    Prior to today, the only product I've ever used was Break Free CLP. Use it for everything. Cleaning, Lubricating and Protecting, just like the label says!

    Now I'm looking for a better lubricating product and technique to prevent this from happening again. Granted, part of the problem was probably the Wolf ammo being so dirty that it 'dried up' the lube that was on there, then caused problems soon after starting. Dunno at this point. Kind of moot anyway.

    I need a better lube that won't gum up (and attract MORE crap on/in the gun than I want) because my shooting is fairly infrequent now.

    Please put down some ideas here for me to go with! For me, simpler is better. Just one more product?

    Thanks,
    Paul
    Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.")
    - Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD

    sigpicNRA Life Member
  • #2
    tomd1584
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2008
    • 5895

    you're going to get a different answer from everyone. I personally like Slip2000 EWL. doesnt burn off quickly and is non-toxic!

    Comment

    • #3
      PonchoTA
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2007
      • 2289

      Hahah! Yeah, I know. It's like asking who has the best lasagna recipe! You'll get a different answer from everybody you ask.

      However, being "new" in the lube world, I thought it best to get a good cross-section of answers.
      Yours being very good too because you provided a reason for it, not just "xxxxxxx, FTW!" That's not what I'm looking for!

      Thanks for the input Tom!

      .
      Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.")
      - Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD

      sigpicNRA Life Member

      Comment

      • #4
        HiveDR.
        Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 288

        First off Break Free is one of the worst lubes to run in an DI AR type weapon. The oil burns off very quickly and at relatively low temps leaving the teflon behind which then melts causing more carbon to form. My department stopped using Break Free in 98 after this was pointed out to us at a Colt armory school.

        Shortly after we started using Mobile1 20-50 full synthetic motor oil which works fantastically well. Guns that would normally require a re-oil of Break Free at 200-300 rounds during training now would run well into the 900-1000 rd range before re-oiling. Mobile1 20-50 has an extremely high burn off temp, it's designed to run at over 3000 rpm for and extended period, has detergents in it which really helped with clean up and does not dry up in storage.

        Recently the department switch to Slip 2000 EWL (which is also a synthetic oil) and it to is an excellent lube. As good as Mobile1 if not slightly better. The makers of Slip gave the department a S**T load of it to try. Also Slip's carbon cleaner is excellent at removing carbon from the bolt and bolt carrier.

        Comment

        • #5
          Bug Splat
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2007
          • 6561

          I've always used CLP and its worked fine for me but i've been thinking abut trying a syn motor oil. Every one raves about them and motor oil is cheap. 1qt should last a lifetime.

          Comment

          • #6
            killshot44
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2009
            • 4072

            Huh! I overlooked Full-Synth engine oil as a possibility. Great idea. Designed for high temps, leaves little residue, great viscosity. And at $6 a Qt, inexpensive...Gonna try some 5-10 weight in an atomizer this afternoon...

            Comment

            • #7
              k1dude
              I need a LIFE!!
              • May 2009
              • 15942

              Keep in mind that motor oil isn't as good as gun specific lubes for rust prevention.

              Test of best rust-proofing products for corrosion protection, anti-rust, tool and gun storage. Breakfree, Break-Free CLP, Corrosion-X, Corrosion X, Eexoz, FP-10, FP10, Sheath, Mobil 1, Militech, Rem-Oil, Rig, Grease, Cosmoline, Slip 2000, Tetra tested. Salt spray tests on rust preventatives. Also dessicants, goldenrod, Vapor, Bore-Store silicon bags for storage. 6mm BR Benchrest precision shooting. Load Data, Message Boards, Dies, gunsmiths. Reloading, shooting, hunting, and varminting.
              "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

              "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

              Comment

              • #8
                H2H
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2005
                • 1658

                SLIP or Gunner's lube from LArue.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Jim_KT
                  Member
                  • Mar 2007
                  • 468

                  I've been using Firepower FP-10 and SLIP2000 for the past five years with nary a problem. There are probably better solutions out on the market these days, but they haven't failed me, yet.

                  Like fellow members have said, you're going to get a whole bunch of different responses on this topic.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Linus
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2007
                    • 1290

                    Originally posted by tomd1584
                    you're going to get a different answer from everyone. I personally like Slip2000 EWL. doesnt burn off quickly and is non-toxic!
                    +1
                    I used CLP until I tried Slip2000 EWL and I haven't gone back.
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      foxtrotuniformlima
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 3461

                      FPO-10 or Miltec. Either will work
                      Anyone press will hear the fat lady sing.

                      Originally posted by Vin Scully
                      Don't be sad that it's over. Smile because it happened.
                      Originally posted by William James
                      I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small.
                      Originally posted by BigPimping
                      When you reach the plateau, there's always going to be those that try to drag you down. Just keep up the game, collect the scratch, and ignore those who seek to drag you down to their level.
                      .

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        killshot44
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 4072

                        Originally posted by k1dude
                        Keep in mind that motor oil isn't as good as gun specific lubes for rust prevention.
                        Roger that, but when discussing a synthetic, I was speaking to lubricating only the action prior to use. Not for overall lube and/or storage prep.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bambam8d1
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 1430

                          KY warming sensations

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Gio
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10251

                            Originally posted by tomd1584
                            you're going to get a different answer from everyone. I personally like Slip2000 EWL. doesnt burn off quickly and is non-toxic!
                            I use Slip 2000 as well, on all my firearms. Wait, umm I lost them all on a boating accident

                            -Gio
                            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Gio
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10251

                              Originally posted by iehooligan
                              KY warming sensations
                              You win!
                              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1