Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Timney drop in trigger

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jamesg35
    Member
    • Oct 2008
    • 297

    Timney drop in trigger

    I am looking into getting a drop in trigger for my AR, need info
    on which one 3lb,4lb or 4.5lb.
    I have a stag 2ht upper on a lauer lower i usually shoot paper
    and im looking to tighten up my groups.

    Thanks James
  • #2
    B Strong
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2009
    • 6367

    I have a three Lb. unit in my Mk.12 clone.

    Just follow the instructions when you install, and re-tighten the locking screws after the first shooting session.
    The way some gunshop clerks spout off, you'd think that they invented gunpowder and the repeating rifle, and sat on the Supreme Court as well.
    ___________________________________________
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Jeff Cooper

    Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos

    Comment

    • #3
      run8
      Senior Member
      • May 2006
      • 875

      Yea, really simple to install and they are nice smooth triggers, have them on two different rigs.

      Might ad mine are 4lbs.
      "Freedom is only protected by those who prepare to die"

      Comment

      • #4
        SoCalRandy
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 570

        I've got the three lb. trigger on one of my AR's and I like it...

        Comment

        • #5
          Jonathan Doe

          If you ever decided to shoot for a match, the rifle has to have no less than 4.5 lbs of trigger pull for a service rifle.

          Comment

          • #6
            Jak1
            Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 139

            I have the 3 lb on my varmiter and it shoots 3/8 MOA no problem. I like the skeletonized version ( just for fun) and plan on putting a 4 lb on my carbine soon. Great product.

            Comment

            • #7
              capitol
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 2503

              Originally posted by jamesg35
              I am looking into getting a drop in trigger for my AR, need info on which one 3lb,4lb or 4.5lb.
              I have a stag 2ht upper on a lauer lower i usually shoot paper
              and im looking to tighten up my groups.


              Thanks James


              Originally posted by topgun7
              If you ever decided to shoot for a match, the rifle has to have no less than 4.5 lbs of trigger pull for a service rifle.


              You want the the 3 pound pull Timney
              Last edited by capitol; 11-29-2009, 11:58 AM.

              Comment

              • #8
                Jicko
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2005
                • 8774

                The BEST single stage trigger is JP's. Altho you would have to custom-fit (tune it yourself) or send your lower to JP for them to install.

                I would consider Timney.... 2nd best.... timney is so much easier to install tho...
                - LL
                NRA Certified Firearm Instructor
                sigpic

                New to Calguns, check here first:
                http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818

                Comment

                • #9
                  tdaughg
                  Member
                  • May 2009
                  • 312

                  got a 4lb one in my beowulf and its just awesome. was a bit hesitant at first because of the cost but once i had it in and got to try it out i was totally pleased.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bombadillo
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 14810

                    4lb 2 stage SSA! or Geissele Match trigger for groups. If you're really shooting for groups, get a 20" bull though honestly.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Jonathan Doe

                      Originally posted by capitol




                      You want the the 3 pound pull Timney
                      If you shoot NRA service rifle matches, the rule states that the trigger pull should not be less than 4.5 lbs. Just a rule. If you shoot other than service rifle, it doesn't matter.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Twystd1
                        Superfluous
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 2692

                        I have both the Timney 4lb and the 3lb.
                        The 3lb is by far the better setup for plinking or semi serious target shooting.
                        (Better than the Gissele IMHO.)

                        And like the other fella said. DO RE-TIGHTEN THE SET SCREWES AFTER THE FIRST OUTING.

                        The newer Timney triggers come with a second set of set screws to tighten down ON TOP of the hold down screws. Thus the holding screws that jamd the trigger housing against the pins WON'T come loose. No need for locktite.

                        The earlier versions don't have this second setscrew feature.

                        There is also a smal pin version as well as a large pin version.

                        Hope that helps. If you live in SoCal. You can come by and try mine.

                        Cheers,
                        Twystd1

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          6172crew
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 6240

                          I have one of the older 3lb trigger that like to go FA, I just need to send it back in to have it fixed.

                          The trigger really isnt going FA, its bump firing but with it being so light it happens to anyone who shots the rifle and doesnt have a death grip on the pistol grip.

                          Im just too lazy to send it back but it works well on my WOA SPR deal I built.
                          sigpic
                          HMM-161 Westpac 1994

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            pacrimguru
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 3595

                            i had one of the 3lb., skelletonized ones. it's a beautiful trigger with an excellent crisp pull. i got rid of it because i didn't like the feel of the actual trigger itself. the skelletonized trigger is real blocky and has sharp edges. i'm not sure if the non-skelletonized triggers have that same profile or not, you might want to look at those. just a little something to think about.

                            i went back to my standard USGI trigger and haven't looked back.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Twystd1
                              Superfluous
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 2692

                              As a cheaper but very nice alternative. Simply buy a factory trigger already tweaked by John Hollinger at White Oak Armament.
                              John is a world class shooter that builds amazingly accurate AR15s. Google his website. (above)
                              Then buy a trigger from him. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.
                              This saves ya bucks as this combination is cheaper than a Timney by about a hundred bucks.
                              I still love my Timneys. But I would NEVER use a Timney in a combat situation. Target or plinking only.

                              Conversely. I WOULD use one of Johns triggers in a combat rig. In this sense you get close to the best for both worlds. (combat & target)

                              That's something to think about as well.

                              Cheers,
                              Twystd1
                              Last edited by Twystd1; 11-28-2009, 8:25 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1