Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Modified magpul trigger guard

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • StoneTower
    Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 231

    Modified magpul trigger guard

    I have seen a modified Magpul trigger guard at

    Rainier Arms specializes in high-end AR15 parts and accessories—including grips, stocks, uppers, lowers, barrels, and more—from the industry's top-tier manufacturers.


    They are out of stock. I like the cap screw idea.

    Does anyone know how they tapped the trigger guard? Did they fill the hole and then re-drill? What size thread did they use?

    Thanks,

    David
  • #2
    djleisure
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 4734

    Hmm... I have that cap screw on mine, because someone was selling them here at one point. It simply replaces the other screw and it looks MUCH better... let me check my PM's from a long time ago and see if I can find any info...
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?

    Comment

    • #3
      djleisure
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2008
      • 4734

      Well, I couldn't find much more than the original post. Here's the post, maybe you can PM the guy and get the info. Hope this helps!
      ------------------------------------------------------------
      iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?

      Comment

      • #4
        aplinker
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Feb 2007
        • 16762

        From the photo, he did nothing except include a buttonhead screw.

        It's possible that Rainier does more - using a larger buttonhead and tapping the TG for it, but I'm not sure that would work, as, IIRC, the screw size isn't much smaller than the size of the receiver hole already.

        Google Map of OLL Dealers

        List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
        Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
        This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

        Comment

        • #5
          bender152
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • 4237

          Description:

          Rainier Arms Modified Enhanced Trigger Guard. Tapped for button head cap screws for easy installation and maintenance. (button head cap screws included)
          From their description, it sounds like you could do this at home.

          Rainier sells the metal guard. So the metal will need to be tapped in order to accept a screw. (Still an easy job.)

          If you get the new polymer guard, you probably don't even need to tap it. Just find the right sized screws at your hardware store.

          Comment

          • #6
            aplinker
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2007
            • 16762

            Originally posted by bender152
            From their description, it sounds like you could do this at home.

            Rainier sells the metal guard. So the metal will need to be tapped in order to accept a screw. (Still an easy job.)

            If you get the new polymer guard, you probably don't even need to tap it. Just find the right sized screws at your hardware store.
            The metal TGs use a set-screw, as well.

            Google Map of OLL Dealers

            List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
            Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
            This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

            Comment

            • #7
              bender152
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • 4237

              Also, I think there's a little confusion in this thread.

              The Rainier link has the screws BEHIND the trigger. (Normally a roll pin is used here.)

              The link djleisure posted has the screw in front of the trigger. As it is, the front of the trigger already uses a set screw. They just used a different type of screw. (I did this with mine also.)

              Comment

              • #8
                aplinker
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Feb 2007
                • 16762

                Originally posted by bender152
                Also, I think there's a little confusion in this thread.

                The Rainier link has the screws BEHIND the trigger. (Normally a roll pin is used here.)

                The link djleisure posted has the screw in front of the trigger. As it is, the front of the trigger already uses a set screw. They just used a different type of screw. (I did this with mine also.)
                Good catch - thanks for the clarification.

                Google Map of OLL Dealers

                List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
                Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
                This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

                Comment

                • #9
                  StoneTower
                  Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 231

                  Yes, the cap screws in the above referenced trigger guard replace the roll pin in the back of the guard. The problem is that the hole is too big to tap with a screw that is small enough to fit through the hole in the lower. I am wondering if they got some unfinished trigger guards and drilled them or if they filled the hole and then tapped it.

                  I am sure a heli-coil could be used to reduce the hole size and get the correct thread. This could be expensive as I would need a whole kit.

                  I was even thinking of a piece of brass or aluminum tubing from the hobby store. This could be lock-tighted in or epoxied in and then tapped to the correct size.

                  Thanks,

                  David

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bender152
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 4237

                    Pins similar the KNS anti-rotation pins might be an option.

                    I don't know if they come in the right size tho.. and how easy they are to find.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      fcr
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 971

                      Here is another pic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        fcr
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 971

                        Dbl post, sorry
                        Last edited by fcr; 08-11-2009, 8:09 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          TurboFall
                          Member
                          • Aug 2007
                          • 319

                          Looks like a threaded insert to me.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            goober
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 4875

                            i just leave the roll pin out.
                            no need for a screw there, unless the screw in front is loose and/or the TG ears are too wide.
                            Live between Santa Cruz and SLO? Want to get involved?
                            Check out the Central Coast Calguns Community Chapter
                            And join the Central Coast Region Social Group!
                            sigpic
                            NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
                            Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
                            of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              shark92651
                              Vendor/Retailer
                              • Oct 2006
                              • 5431

                              I just put the roll pin in. Does anybody really have a problem installing the roll pin. Instead of spending an extra $10 on this modified trigger guard, just buy some punches with that money
                              sigpic
                              www.riflegear.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1