Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Fixed magazine conversion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rds95991
    Member
    • Jan 2018
    • 119

    Fixed magazine conversion

    I've been using the ARMaglock to make my AR a fixed mag. My neighbor showed me the Hogue mag conversion kit where you drill and tap the receiver to place a pin that prevents the mag release button from being depressed with the upper is locked.

    It seems to be a fairly neat and unobtrusive conversion plus it is easily removed which is a plus when I go out of state. Anyone else have any opinions on this conversion?

    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by rds95991; 08-11-2021, 8:46 PM.
  • #2
    sfvshooter
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2016
    • 1200

    I have one or two in this config. I think I have one with Hogue freedom fighter and a kingpin but I have so many rifles with various configurations it's difficult to keep track.

    I remember it was a little unnerving drilling into the lowers, but it ended up ok. Also, if you're going to utilize a kingpin, you need to adjust the Hogue screw so it doesn't stick out as far.

    I don't think it's any better or worse than the ar maglock...just another way of accomplishing the same end result. However, you can undo an AR maglock pretty easily. There's no way of undrilling a lower.
    Too many rifles, not enough time...

    Comment

    • #3
      ldsnet
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2008
      • 1423

      One of my AR's came with the Hogue pin installed (I think they built the lower with the hole drilled and tapped.
      Need to be precisely installed to work. It only requires a 1/8" of separation between the receivers to engage the magazine release.
      (With the bolt is locked to the rear, I can press the kingpin to separate the upper from the lower and change a magazine)

      Comment

      • #4
        Harry Ono
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2018
        • 965

        CompMag is also very easy Fixed Mag with no drilling needed.

        Comment

        • #5
          bohoki
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 20826

          the houge freedom fighter is not easily removed but if yo are out of state you can unwind the mag catch a few turns and push the button in enough with the upper still in place

          Comment

          • #6
            rds95991
            Member
            • Jan 2018
            • 119

            Originally posted by bohoki
            the houge freedom fighter is not easily removed but if yo are out of state you can unwind the mag catch a few turns and push the button in enough with the upper still in place
            I thought you could just undo the allen screw that retains everything and pull everything off. Also the jig should help keep my hand steady while drilling during installation.
            Last edited by rds95991; 08-09-2021, 3:43 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              sbo80
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2014
              • 2265

              Originally posted by rds95991
              I thought you could just undo the allen screw that retains everything and pull everything off.
              You can unscrew the pin/spring easily, but you risk losing the little parts or buggering up the threads when you reinstall. Would suck to drop it in the grass or something. I've never bothered changing to "free state" config even in AZ since I'd rather practice with it how I keep it at home. The manual of arms is different.
              The hole you drill is tiny, and the jig lines it up fine, I didn't have any issue. Tapping the hole cleanly is harder than drilling, but still wasn't difficult. I even drilled one of my featureless rifles while I was at it, so it can be switched to maglock if I change my mind. The hole affects nothing.
              Do note that the way the jig is set up, and the angles involved, it may not work in all lowers. I have a billet lower that it would not have worked on.
              Last edited by sbo80; 08-09-2021, 4:54 PM. Reason: .

              Comment

              • #8
                rds95991
                Member
                • Jan 2018
                • 119

                Originally posted by sbo80
                This is a "better" way to do it, you can unscrew the pin/spring easily, but you risk losing the little part. Would suck to drop it in the grass or something. I've never bothered changing to "free state" config even in AZ since I'd rather practice with it how I keep it at home. The manual of arms is different. Other mentioned he can pop the receiver enough to drop the mag even with the bolt back, I don't seem to be able to.
                The hole you drill is tiny, and the jig lines it up fine, I didn't have any issue. Tapping the hole cleanly is harder than drilling, but still wasn't difficult. I even drilled one of my featureless rifles while I was at it, so it can be switched to maglock if I change my mind. The hole affects nothing.
                Do note that the way the jig is set up, and the angles involved, it may not work in all lowers. I have a billet lower that it would not have worked on.
                All my builds are on M&P lowers and I have several 'spares'. They have worked well with every upper I've built or bought. I run an HK MR556A1 upper on one with a Geiselle SSA trigger group. I will try it on one of those. If I mess it up, no big deal. I'll still use the AR Maglocks on some of the others and my 7.62's.

                Comment

                • #9
                  SPC G
                  Member
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 239

                  Not to hijack the thread but if your looking for Hogue set I have one I could sell you let me know.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ar15barrels
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 57177

                    Originally posted by rds95991
                    My neighbor showed me the Hogue mag conversion kit where you drill and and the receiver to place a pin that prevents the mag release button from being depressed with the upper is locked.

                    It seems to be a fairly neat and unobtrusive conversion plus it is easily removed which is a plus when I go out of state. Anyone else have any opinions on this conversion?
                    I have drilled/tapped and installed a LOT of those Hogue kits.
                    They work good.
                    Randall Rausch

                    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      rds95991
                      Member
                      • Jan 2018
                      • 119

                      Originally posted by SPC G
                      Not to hijack the thread but if your looking for Hogue set I have one I could sell you let me know.
                      Thank you, but my neighbor has the jig, drill bits and everything, I have a tap and die set. I'm just buying the refills.

                      If it works, I'm removing the AR Mag Locks and putting a regular mag release on to replace the bullet buttons.
                      Last edited by rds95991; 08-11-2021, 8:48 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Starslinger
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2016
                        • 1486

                        Originally posted by Harry Ono
                        CompMag is also very easy Fixed Mag with no drilling needed.
                        I have a CompMag on an AK. It works. I don't know anything about the other methods.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          deadcoyote
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 4002

                          I do featureless so don’t listen to me but whoever made those mags that you drop in from the open action and retain the factory mag release seem rad to me.
                          Buying a safe and sane firework is like paying a hooker for a hug. I do not see the appeal in it.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bigboyshooter
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 812

                            Anyone installed these hogue kits on a PWS MK1 MOD 2 lower? I like the idea of it.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              rds95991
                              Member
                              • Jan 2018
                              • 119

                              I'm thinking if you watch the video on Brownells, it might give you a good idea if it might work. It appears as long as it is mil-spec it should work I am guessing. I was hoping they made a kit for a 7.62 but with all the variants I guess it was too much to hope.
                              Last edited by rds95991; 08-11-2021, 8:55 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1