Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Kel-Tec RDB-C muzzle brake help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bigboss4198
    Member
    • Jul 2013
    • 342

    Kel-Tec RDB-C muzzle brake help

    sigpic

    Snake


    "People should not fear their governments, Governments should fear their people"
  • #2
    baih777
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2011
    • 5680

    Are you saying even with a crush washer. Threads are still showing ?
    Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
    I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
    I'm Back.

    Comment

    • #3
      Sparrow Dynamics
      Vendor/Retailer
      • Nov 2017
      • 1095

      You should not put a birdcage flash hider on a featureless rifle. Maybe you did it just to check the length of threads.

      Measure the length of threads on your barrel. The thread length on a typical AR barrel is 5/8". So, a thread protector should have at least that much of threads to cover it. We make one that is that long, and then has an extra 1/8" of length to protect the barrel crown. That extra 1/8" does nothing to reduce or redirect flash in case any are wondering. A muzzle brake is timed with shims, a crush washer, or a jam nut. Crush washers tend to add an extra .1 to .125" behind the muzzle brake, and jam nuts about the same or a tad more. Shims are minimal and don't add to the length, but are mainly for clocking the brake.
      Larry
      SparrowDynamics.com

      Official Discussion Thread (for now)

      Comment

      • #4
        Bigboss4198
        Member
        • Jul 2013
        • 342

        Originally posted by baih777
        Are you saying even with a crush washer. Threads are still showing ?
        sigpic

        Snake


        "People should not fear their governments, Governments should fear their people"

        Comment

        • #5
          dfletcher
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Dec 2006
          • 14810

          Originally posted by Bigboss4198
          Yes. I’ll post some pics
          I have the same rifle - no idea why they decided to have that extra shoulder there, makes no sense to me either.

          Previous thread on the issue, with some suggestions:



          This jam nut has a collar on it, will cover the smaller inner shoulder:



          Don't know if it will slip over the outer shoulder, IIRC that's .750 diameter. It does add some length, as opposed to a 5/8 split washer.

          Adding jam nut or split washer is probably an accuracy no-no, I doubt it makes any difference on the KelTec. Hasn't made any "minute of tin can" difference that I can see.
          Last edited by dfletcher; 07-21-2020, 12:48 PM.
          GOA Member & SAF Life Member

          Comment

          • #6
            Bigboss4198
            Member
            • Jul 2013
            • 342

            Originally posted by dfletcher
            I have the same rifle - no idea why they decided to have that extra shoulder there, makes no sense to me either.

            Previous thread on the issue, with some suggestions:



            This jam nut has a collar on it, will cover the smaller inner shoulder:



            Don't know if it will slip over the outer shoulder, IIRC that's .750 diameter. It does add some length, as opposed to a 5/8 split washer.

            Adding jam nut or split washer is probably an accuracy no-no, I doubt it makes any difference on the KelTec. Hasn't made any "minute of tin can" difference that I can see.
            sigpic

            Snake


            "People should not fear their governments, Governments should fear their people"

            Comment

            • #7
              Bigboss4198
              Member
              • Jul 2013
              • 342

              Originally posted by dfletcher
              I have the same rifle - no idea why they decided to have that extra shoulder there, makes no sense to me either.

              Previous thread on the issue, with some suggestions:



              This jam nut has a collar on it, will cover the smaller inner shoulder:



              Don't know if it will slip over the outer shoulder, IIRC that's .750 diameter. It does add some length, as opposed to a 5/8 split washer.

              Adding jam nut or split washer is probably an accuracy no-no, I doubt it makes any difference on the KelTec. Hasn't made any "minute of tin can" difference that I can see.




              On the thread you posted. Where did you find a 308 lock washer?
              sigpic

              Snake


              "People should not fear their governments, Governments should fear their people"

              Comment

              • #8
                dfletcher
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Dec 2006
                • 14810

                Originally posted by Bigboss4198
                On the thread you posted. Where did you find a 308 lock washer?
                Pretty sure it was EBay. Searched "5/8 ID split lock washer" and they came up. Screwed up the first time and didn't include the "ID" (Inside Diameter) spec and ended up with outside diameter ones.
                GOA Member & SAF Life Member

                Comment

                • #9
                  Gregchico
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 2377

                  I wound up cutting off the shoulder of the factory piece and using a short, standard brake.
                  I have no idea why they did that either....

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    baih777
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 5680

                    That works.
                    Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
                    I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
                    I'm Back.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bigboss4198
                      Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • 342

                      Originally posted by Gregchico
                      I wound up cutting off the shoulder of the factory piece and using a short, standard brake.
                      I have no idea why they did that either....



                      Did you weld that piece into that tapered shoulder or did you just cut it and slip it over and used a crush washer and brake?
                      sigpic

                      Snake


                      "People should not fear their governments, Governments should fear their people"

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Gregchico
                        Vendor/Retailer
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 2377

                        Originally posted by Bigboss4198
                        Did you weld that piece into that tapered shoulder or did you just cut it and slip it over and used a crush washer and brake?
                        I just cut off the shoulder of the factory piece and slid into place. I had to install the crush washer backwards to make it fit properly.

                        Edit to add: You will get attention at the range with this rifle and others wanting to try it out (at least I do), you just don't want the wrong kind of attention from the wrong people. Just what ever you put on the end of this rifle, make sure it is a muzzle brake, not a flash hider.
                        Last edited by Gregchico; 07-22-2020, 7:41 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bigboss4198
                          Member
                          • Jul 2013
                          • 342

                          Originally posted by Gregchico
                          I just cut off the shoulder of the factory piece and slid into place. I had to install the crush washer backwards to make it fit properly.

                          Edit to add: You will get attention at the range with this rifle and others wanting to try it out (at least I do), you just don't want the wrong kind of attention from the wrong people. Just what ever you put on the end of this rifle, make sure it is a muzzle brake, not a flash hider.
                          sigpic

                          Snake


                          "People should not fear their governments, Governments should fear their people"

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            TRAV1S
                            Junior Member
                            • Apr 2018
                            • 1

                            Hey, just came across your post. I also have an RDB Charlie, I designed and made my own muzzle brake out of 303SS and 1215 steel then oil quenched to blacken them. PM me if you're still looking to put something on that barrel. I want to make more since there isn't a market for them.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1