Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ca Approved Bushmaster Help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tomwadek
    Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 115

    Ca Approved Bushmaster Help

    Hi everyone, Im a new member but not a new viewer. I purchased a ca approved bushmaster years ago as my first gun. The firearm is amazing, it's truely a good rifle except for the fact that it is a top loading rifle. I'm not new to the "assault weapons" hoops and loops, i know about all the "evil" features and such. I'm not telling you guys this to sound rude or a know it all, i just want you guys to know i'm not new to the CA game.

    Heres my question: How can I make my rifle into a bullet button accepting rifle?
    I really dont want to buy a new rifle because I have just purchased a Socom 2 in urban camo and that took most of my money haha... and the bushamster rifle is a really good. I like how light it is and it has never gave me a problem.

    The things i've tried so far: I have tried finding a stripped carbon 15 lower to build and install a bullet button but i cant find one.. and if i do they don't want to ship to CA. I've called bushmaster and they refused to help me... they said, if and only if the rifle is damaged, they would fix it but not ship a new lower.

    My second option is to dremel out the mag well and install a bullet button. The problem with that is i'm getting mixed reviews... Some are saying that it would be considered a felony because i am now modifying the rifle...??? Is that true... I dont know what to do.. I know i'm an idiot for buying the top loading rifle rather than building one but at the time i dont remember the bullet button being as popular as it is today and it was a good option in owing a ar15 in CA at the time. If i could do it differently i would build my own.
    My last option is i could sell it and buy what i need to build a new one... however like i said i do like the rifle... and that would be my last and desperate option...

    Thanks guys in advance... Happy shooting..
  • #2
    superhondaz50
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 3108

    easy conversion to do. get sand paper, a file, a dremel, a 1/8" drill bit and some beer. Drill out the rivet and remove the mag crap. dremel open the bottom slightly inward of the cut out lines Bushmaster so kindly left for you on the bottom of the magwell. file any left over scrap off, then sand it smooth. rub some break free into the newly cut plastic to bring back the original luster. Install a B.B. an 10 rounder. Take beer bottle and smash it on the barrel while saying "I christen thee a non-top loader!" Oh ya don't waste the beer you should drink it off the gun
    Originally Posted By CTbuilder1 @ arfcom:
    A lot of time and energy goes into thinking up ways to make perfectly good rifles into something dumb. Single shot ARs are gay. AR pistols are also gay. Just my opinion, of course, but a single shot AR pistol would be an AIDS cannon.

    Comment

    • #3
      Tomwadek
      Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 115

      hahaha... is it legal to do though... is it true it's considered "modifying it"

      Comment

      • #4
        ke6guj
        Moderator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Nov 2003
        • 23725

        There is no law against "modifying". You just have to make sure you don't manufacture an AW. So, be aware of the AW regs and don't assemble it into an AW configuration.
        Jack



        Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

        No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

        Comment

        • #5
          Tomwadek
          Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 115

          hmmmm sounds good... anyone have any experience with dremel out the magwell... anything i should know before i start... any advice... thanks..

          Comment

          • #6
            JTROKS
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2007
            • 13093

            Originally posted by Tomwadek
            hmmmm sounds good... anyone have any experience with dremel out the magwell... anything i should know before i start... any advice... thanks..

            Take little cuts, measure twice cut once. Take your time, if you get frustrated put the tools down, relax have a beer. Now if it takes a 6 pack for you to relax I advice not to work on it until you're sober. Remember this, once you grind or cut it off you can't put it back. So be careful.
            The wise man said just find your place
            In the eye of the storm
            Seek the roses along the way
            Just beware of the thorns...
            K. Meine

            Comment

            • #7
              Tomwadek
              Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 115

              alrighty thanks guys

              Comment

              • #8
                bwiese
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Oct 2005
                • 27621

                I'd bet Cold War Shooters, DDs Ranch or one of our other friendly out-of-state FFLs could aquire a Bushmaster Carbon15 lower (open magwell) and ship it to your AR-friendly local CA FFL. Just install the Bullet Button device first before assembling the rest of the lower/rifle and you're GTG.

                Bill Wiese
                San Jose, CA

                CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member
                sigpic
                No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
                to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
                ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
                employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
                legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                Comment

                • #9
                  heycorey
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • 825

                  Originally posted by bwiese
                  I'd bet Cold War Shooters, DDs Ranch or one of our other friendly out-of-state FFLs could aquire a Bushmaster Carbon15 lower (open magwell) and ship it to your AR-friendly local CA FFL. Just install the Bullet Button device first before assembling the rest of the lower/rifle and you're GTG.
                  I've acquired three of them through LanWorld Inc ...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    superhondaz50
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 3108

                    The conversion is really simple, just dremel inwards on the well and file the rest out, it'll look really clean.
                    Originally Posted By CTbuilder1 @ arfcom:
                    A lot of time and energy goes into thinking up ways to make perfectly good rifles into something dumb. Single shot ARs are gay. AR pistols are also gay. Just my opinion, of course, but a single shot AR pistol would be an AIDS cannon.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      fuegoslow
                      Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 447

                      I've actually seen a stripped carbon15 lower with an open magwell at CWS's Highland shop about a month ago. $250, so I kept browsing.
                      "Imagine how much more hopeful the story of the gospel would be if
                      Jesus had a gun" - Stephen Colbert

                      Originally posted by Bad Voodoo
                      It's like ghosts and UFOs. I'll believe anything until science proves me wrong.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Tomwadek
                        Member
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 115

                        im going to try finding the lower from one of the friendly online sites.. the dremel thingy is making me alittle bit nervous haha- thanks guys

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          CalJeep
                          Junior Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 61

                          Make sure to post a picture when you are done! I've always wondered about those Bushies and how they would look after they are "back to normal"
                          Vu 308 on home defense-

                          "Why an AR? Need to defeat more than Level IIIA armor? Hall ways around 300 yards long? Expecting a high volume of mall ninjas to attack in the middle of the night so you may need to lay down suppressive fire from your bedroom?"

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Tomwadek
                            Member
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 115

                            alright guys... i decided to dremel out the magwell myself... I have a couple of questions to ask about the tool... Which dremel should i buy and use.. the Rotary? is there a particular model that is good or powerful enough? Which attachment should i use? If everything goes well im going to get this done no later than monday... thanks guys...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              CalJeep
                              Junior Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 61

                              I just bought the smallest/lower end dremmel to cut through a spot weld on my DSA FAL. Its a cordless, rechargeable one. It worked fine, so it all depends on what you want to do with it later. I suggest a corded one though. Go to your local hardware store and ask what can cut through plastic the best. Good luck
                              Vu 308 on home defense-

                              "Why an AR? Need to defeat more than Level IIIA armor? Hall ways around 300 yards long? Expecting a high volume of mall ninjas to attack in the middle of the night so you may need to lay down suppressive fire from your bedroom?"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1