Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR buffer spring: JP Captured Spring System vs. Geissele Braided Wire spring?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • beanz2
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2008
    • 12032

    AR buffer spring: JP Captured Spring System vs. Geissele Braided Wire spring?

    So I almost bought JP Enterprises's Silent Captured Spring System for about $126 but Geissele Automatics's Braided Wire Buffer Spring promises to also eliminate the annoying "sproing" sound when I shoot my AR. These go for about $45 with their BF sale.

    The extra tungsten weights also cost $36 with JP and $14 with Geissele. I do occasionally run my guns suppressed and have SBRs/AR pistols I can install them into if I buy multiples of springs or systems.

    What would I give up if I pass on JP's Silent Captured Spring system and go with Geissele's?

    JP Silent Captured Spring System:


    Geissele Braided Wire Buffer Spring:



    .
    (Before someone says just stick with milspec, that is what I have on all of my ARs, I just want to try something different)
    Last edited by beanz2; 11-29-2019, 9:12 AM. Reason: Added pics for interest
    sigpic
    The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
  • #2
    champu
    CGN Contributor
    • Nov 2013
    • 1981

    Comment

    • #3
      sbo80
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2014
      • 2265

      The JP system is for tuning your recoil system. Losing the noise is a byproduct. I'm not sure I'd go with JP if you plan on moving it around. Much easier to pull a standard buffer and drop in a new one if you are screwing on a can. On the flip side it's much faster to swap out the JP weights to find the right combo, than multiple trips to the range and buying different buffer weights until you figure out what works. I struggled finding the right balance on a .300BLK pistol with an adjustable gas block, and in retrospect the JP system would have been easier, and I ended up with buffers I don't need, I bet the end cost (in testing ammo, extra buffers etc.) was more expensive than if I got the JP buffer to start.

      Comment

      • #4
        Master_Prestige
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2019
        • 1016

        My Geissele with one added weight feels like a .22 and yes the noise is significantly reduced.

        Comment

        • #5
          LateBraking
          iTrader in Bio
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Jan 2013
          • 1629

          I forgot what it was about the JP system, but my friend said it was a pain.

          My friend too was annoyed by the noise, whereas I am like "huh?" because to this day I have no idea what "sprong" noise he is talking about. And I just use a regular ol' spring I found in my bin of leftover lower parts and a H1 buffer. Whatever noise it is must not bother me at all.

          I'd just go with the Geissele. He switched to that and he likes it. I agree with champu about not getting locked into a proprietary system.

          I've never had a buffer spring-induced failure before myself *shrug* but I do measure my springs to make sure they are still within spec.

          From:
          TECHNICAL MANUAL
          ARMY NO. 9-1005-319-23&P
          AIR FORCE TO 11W3-5-5-42

          RIFLE: 11 3/4 Inches (29 85 cm)
          minimum to 13 1./2 inches (34 29 cm)
          maximum

          CARBINE: 10 1/16 inches (25.56 cm)
          minimum to 11 1/4 inches (28.58 cm)
          maximum.
          Last edited by LateBraking; 11-29-2019, 10:29 AM.
          sigpic
          NRA Lifetime Member

          Comment

          • #6
            FeuerFrei
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2008
            • 7455

            Maybe try another type rifle design?
            Stocks that rattle and noisy action springs seem to be causing too many annoyances IMO.

            In any event I suggest the OP try before he buys and sort out myth vs reality for himself and post results. Seems like there are plenty of people that run this stuff, including 3 gun types that tend to be more picky about these things.

            Comment

            • #7
              beanz2
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Nov 2008
              • 12032

              Thanks for all the input. I decided to buy three of Geissele’s buffer spring and buffer and two of their tungsten weights to play with. I will play around with the different buffer weights after I install Superlative Arms adjustable gas blocks on some of the guns.

              Sorry for all the irritating newbie-type of questions, but I haven’t played with the AR as much as I have recently. I started with an AK and have shot mostly AKs.


              .
              sigpic
              The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1