Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

M1A magazine problems...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • squishyhead
    Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 228

    M1A magazine problems...

    So I just picked up my M1A the other day, and I've been having some major trouble re-inserting the mag. I've been tilting/rocking it the way the manual says to, but I can't get the thing to stay put. Does anyone have advice on how to get the mag to go in correctly every time?
    "I have 3 lower receivers, 1 upper receiver and two middle fingers." -tiki

    "As someone I know said one time, going after NFA stuff right now is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex. Babysteps..." -leitung
  • #2
    B Strong
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2009
    • 6367

    Originally posted by squishyhead
    So I just picked up my M1A the other day, and I've been having some major trouble re-inserting the mag. I've been tilting/rocking it the way the manual says to, but I can't get the thing to stay put. Does anyone have advice on how to get the mag to go in correctly every time?

    Are you using a GI Mag?
    The way some gunshop clerks spout off, you'd think that they invented gunpowder and the repeating rifle, and sat on the Supreme Court as well.
    ___________________________________________
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Jeff Cooper

    Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos

    Comment

    • #3
      cassius
      Banned
      • Mar 2009
      • 449

      you don't say anything about the mag catch engaging, presumably it isn't. You'd hear / feel the click when it does. Maybe you have some sort of fit problem there.
      How about the width of the mag, do you have any trouble inserting it into the stock / magwell?

      Need more information. Pics would be even better.

      Comment

      • #4
        Telperion
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 537

        10 rd mags are difficult to get seated because they are short and you lack the leverage you get with GI 20 rd mags. You have to rock the magazine back until you hear it click into place.
        NFA Life Member

        Comment

        • #5
          wilshire1412
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2007
          • 610

          The shorter 10rd and especially the 5 rd magazine can be more difficult to manipulate in a standard and unmodified Springfield Armory M1A. I replaced the op rod spring guide in both of my M1A rifles with the Sadlak unit, makes a big difference as the rear of this part is what holds the front side of the magazine in the rifle. I don't have any such issues anymore.

          Comment

          • #6
            Black Majik
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2005
            • 9695

            Inserting the mag with the bolt locked back also helps make it easier as well.

            Comment

            • #7
              SVRider
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2007
              • 1914

              As others have said, the short mags are harder to seat.

              Dumb question perhaps, but are you sure you are hooking the front of the magazine before your rock it back? If it's not fully hooked, when you rock it back it won't be able to latch....

              .
              FOR SALE:

              Check back later

              Comment

              • #8
                SimpleCountryActuary
                Not a miracle worker
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2008
                • 2953

                Originally posted by SVRider
                As others have said, the short mags are harder to seat.

                Dumb question perhaps, but are you sure you are hooking the front of the magazine before your rock it back? If it's not fully hooked, when you rock it back it won't be able to latch....

                .
                I was thinking the same thing because I made the same mistake. I was so used to the easy, smooth insertion of the M1 Carbine magazines that I thought all magazines just popped right in.
                "The most hated initials in America today ... TSA."

                Said by yours truly to an audience of nodding IRS employees.

                Comment

                • #9
                  squishyhead
                  Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 228

                  Thanks guys. I've been using the 10 round mag that came with the rifle. It is catching in the front but when I rock it back, it only locks into place on rare occasion. I think I'll try one of my cousins 20 round mags and see if that works better. Thanks again.
                  "I have 3 lower receivers, 1 upper receiver and two middle fingers." -tiki

                  "As someone I know said one time, going after NFA stuff right now is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex. Babysteps..." -leitung

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1