Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

BDC scopes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mortman
    Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 404

    BDC scopes

    Hello,
    Looking at various BDC scopes, Nikon looks good. Cabelas even has one under their brand name for under $200. But I guess I am missing something here. Shouldn't a bullet drop compensating scope be caliber specific, at least, if not bullet weight specific.

    I aint no physics major, so maybe I just don't get it.

    Anybody who can help me out here?

    Thanks,
    M.
  • #2
    brando
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 3694

    Yup, they are caliber and load specific. For example, I think the BDC on a particular version of the Leupold Mk4 was set to FGMM .308. Some of the newer high end scopes have swappable BDC cams like S&B's Short Dot, where you can switch between loads like Hornady's 75gr TAP or Mk262. US Optics is such a good, custom scope manufacturer, they'll laser engrave a BDC for you if you send them the ballistic tables on your load.

    So yes, they are load specific, thereby somewhat limiting its use. This is why most folks who use a precision rifle tend to lean more towards reticle holdovers than dialing in a BDC as you can calibrate it for whatever load you want.
    --Brando

    Comment

    • #3
      4 Brigada
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2007
      • 2119

      As brando posted they are caliber and load specific. But up to a point, they work with a specific ballistics curve, so if you can match the caliber/load to match or come as close as posible. Then you can tweek the scope to maintain the point of aim to point of impact relation. Example the SUIT sight has a cam for 7.62 and one for 5.56 there is very little difference up to 200 meters ( human size target) between one and the other. I have a NIMROD , made for the 7.62 M118 or clone thats what I use. I can use other loads and tweek it , I tested it. Funny I didnt know jack on how to do any of this learned it on a sunday afternoon at the range for a guy.
      Last edited by 4 Brigada; 04-06-2009, 9:47 AM. Reason: spelling
      I have neither the inclination or the time to relieve people of the regional and ethnic handicaps that they inherited from their ancestors.

      You should banish any thoughts of how you may appear to others.
      Marcus Aurelius

      "I won't be wronged, I wont be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
      the "Duke" in the shootist

      Comment

      • #4
        ar15barrels
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2006
        • 57179

        BDC knobs are also weather specific.
        The BDC knobs will get you close as long as the ammo is correct, but it will never be spot-on unless you are in the "standard" weather conditions for which the BDC knob was designed.

        In the end, you are better off learning your drops in all conditions at all the ranges you shoot at and using your aquired drop data.
        Randall Rausch

        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

        Comment

        • #5
          jtv3062
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 2770

          On the Nikons, they have circles in the vertical post of the cross hair, you have to figure out what range those circles represent. For an example you zero at 100 yards the first do would be 138 yards second 173 and so on.

          The mark 4 m3 has cams for the 223rem 55 gr, 308 win 168 gr, 30-06 180 gr, 300 win mag190 gr.
          Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your Honour
          Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8






          159

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57179

            Originally posted by jtv3062
            On the Nikons, they have circles in the vertical post of the cross hair, you have to figure out what range those circles represent. For an example you zero at 100 yards the first do would be 138 yards second 173 and so on.
            Are you talking about a mil-dot reticle?
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              elSquid
              In Memoriam
              • Aug 2007
              • 11844

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              Are you talking about a mil-dot reticle?
              Nikon BDC:



              -- Michael

              Comment

              • #8
                jtv3062
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 2770

                Originally posted by ar15barrels
                Are you talking about a mil-dot reticle?
                what elSquid posted
                Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your Honour
                Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8






                159

                Comment

                • #9
                  pat4wd
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 1482

                  the BDC is just a ballpark.. Kinda misleading really.. you need to know your gun and ammo, You need to shoot and see where you end up.. Barrel length also is a factor.. Just this last weekend I was out seeing where my loads out of my rifle were hitting at differant yardages.. so the BDC's are nice but it is up to you to know where and how far
                  Try out a AppleSeed... http://www.appleseedinfo.org/


                  Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Scold
                    Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 428

                    Do some research on the Zeiss Rapid Z Reticle. It's pretty damn impressive.
                    You can calibrate it for the specific load you are shooting.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1