Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

is this a flash hider or muzzle break?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cg&p
    Member
    • Apr 2017
    • 152

    is this a flash hider or muzzle break?

    I am building a featureless AR9 and want to add some red parts to dress it up some. I was looking for a muzzle device and came across these. I know the cans with the cone in it are "flash hiders". Does the screw on cover with the break equal a flash hider as well? I have not seen too much info on these before. The manufacturer being located in the USA and not Soviet Kalifornia doesn't know how they would be viewed by the CADOJ. Thanks!

  • #2
    NOTABIKER
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2012
    • 7635

    If the end of the device opens up it probably is a flash hider. If the end of the device is ammo caliber size [ almost ] it is a muzzle brake.

    Comment

    • #3
      jeremyro
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 1294

      did you read the website at all?

      "Alien Armory Tactical three piece muzzle break"

      Comment

      • #4
        Citadelgrad87
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Mar 2007
        • 16979

        Originally posted by jeremyro
        did you read the website at all?

        "Alien Armory Tactical three piece muzzle break"
        I think he means, not what does the manufacturer call it, but what will California call it?
        Originally posted by tony270
        It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
        Originally posted by repubconserv
        Print it out and frame it for all I care
        Originally posted by el chivo
        I don't need to think at all..
        Originally posted by pjsig
        You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          auser6664
          Member
          • Aug 2016
          • 334

          Comment

          • #6
            edgerly779
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Aug 2009
            • 19871

            If opening at end is slightly larger than bore and has slots perpendicular to line of bore/barrel then likely brake.

            Comment

            • #7
              Sparrow Dynamics
              Vendor/Retailer
              • Nov 2017
              • 1095

              There is more to it than this, but what it basically comes down to is this...
              Will it perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision?

              Code:
              <sarcasm>
              I'm glad the DOJ clearly defined what the following terms mean to them.
              perceptibly reduce
              perceptibly redirect
              shooter's field of vision
              </sarcasm>
              Larry
              SparrowDynamics.com

              Official Discussion Thread (for now)

              Comment

              • #8
                Sparrow Dynamics
                Vendor/Retailer
                • Nov 2017
                • 1095

                I have a similar device I bought a long time ago that I'm not using yet.
                I am thinking that if I have a shroud with a big forward opening surrounding the outside of a muzzle brake, that it might perceptibly redirect muzzle blast from the shooter's vision. Or maybe not and the shooter will see the same type of blast from a regular barrel.
                Larry
                SparrowDynamics.com

                Official Discussion Thread (for now)

                Comment

                • #9
                  cg&p
                  Member
                  • Apr 2017
                  • 152

                  Originally posted by Sparrow Dynamics
                  I have a similar device I bought a long time ago that I'm not using yet.
                  I am thinking that if I have a shroud with a big forward opening surrounding the outside of a muzzle brake, that it might perceptibly redirect muzzle blast from the shooter's vision. Or maybe not and the shooter will see the same type of blast from a regular barrel.
                  yeah basically that is what i am trying to figure out. i get that without the shroud its just a break. but with the shroud does it become evil?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    jarhead714
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 9676

                    That's a brake if I ever seen one.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      cg&p
                      Member
                      • Apr 2017
                      • 152

                      Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
                      I think he means, not what does the manufacturer call it, but what will California call it?
                      exactly. to be more specific if the break with the shroud attached is OK

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        95jza80tt
                        Junior Member
                        • Jan 2016
                        • 90

                        I believe that is a brake.

                        Since compensators sometimes have flash hiding capabilities those fall in a gray area depending on the design but brakes do not mitigate any of the flash. A flash can type, or linear compensator forces the conclusion and blast forward but does not decrease any kind of flash either. Not that this applies a ton to 9mm carbine but if you get a compensator to decrease the perceived recoil and muzzle rise but decide to put a shroud or blast forwarding device on it, it will defeat the purpose of the comp.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          DesertDave100
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2016
                          • 547

                          I also vote for brake, as that is what it is without the 'sound directing shroud'.

                          I have something similar on one of my AR's and I swear the thing is a flash creator. I see flash in the scope frequently, and have had comments made from adjacent shooters about the amount of flash and flame they see,
                          NRA Life Member CRPA Life Member

                          Registration is the first step towards confiscation.

                          I identify as Non-Bidenary

                          Originally posted by Kurgan
                          This is OT where we never let the facts get in the way of a salacious accusation. Especially when it includes the butt.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            95jza80tt
                            Junior Member
                            • Jan 2016
                            • 90

                            Originally posted by DesertDave100
                            I also vote for brake, as that is what it is without the 'sound directing shroud'.

                            I have something similar on one of my AR's and I swear the thing is a flash creator. I see flash in the scope frequently, and have had comments made from adjacent shooters about the amount of flash and flame they see,
                            Yeah those "flash cans" are named so because they throw fireballs on the regular like the noveske flaming pig compensator.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              sfvshooter
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2016
                              • 1200

                              Looks like a brake with a blast forwarding device. Just because you attach the BFD, it doesn't mean the brake stops being a brake.

                              Too many rifles, not enough time...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1