Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question on Ammo

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Briarfox
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 31

    Question on Ammo

    Hey guys I have a quick question.

    I've been buying ammo for my SKS. I've been picking up the wolf ammo in the black boxes. My last trip to the gun store had wolf ammo but it was a black and yellow box. What is the difference? They appear to be the same 7.62x39 round, 122gr but the bullet in the black box is more copper looking and the bullet in the yellow and black box is more of a bronze.

    Sorry for my ignorance, I've been trying to google it with little info.

    Thanks.
    "It needs but one foe to breed a war, and those who have not swords can still die upon them." -Tolkien
  • #2
    5hundo
    Banned
    • Jun 2008
    • 2210

    Just speculation, at this point (having not seen the boxes myself) but Wolf makes a 122gr FMJ and a 122 JHP...

    Was one box more expensive than the other?

    Comment

    • #3
      dchang0
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2008
      • 2772

      Copper does oxidize a bit just being stored on shelves, so that may explain the color difference.

      Comment

      • #4
        God Bless The Mauser
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2007
        • 1291

        Carefull about using Wolf in your SKS, I hear they don't really do well with steel case ammo and it can break parts.

        Comment

        • #5
          Howie44
          C3 Specialist
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Sep 2002
          • 2005

          The black and yellow boxes you bought will pass the magnet test at the range. They are lead core/ copper jacketed, while the other wolf ammo is not.

          Comment

          • #6
            Briarfox
            Junior Member
            • Mar 2008
            • 31

            Thanks for the reply's guys. They are both 122gr hp. I bought the black and yellow box because it was on sale.

            Everything seems the same except bullet color. I think you got it howie. thanks again.
            "It needs but one foe to breed a war, and those who have not swords can still die upon them." -Tolkien

            Comment

            • #7
              herburt
              Junior Member
              • Oct 2008
              • 89

              The bullet color of the yellow jacket box 7.62 does look a little off but it shoots just fine, probably put about 500 of the case I purchased down range without any issues at all. I mistakenly bought the military classic stuff which is a no go at the ranges around here, I just call that my desert shooting fund.

              Comment

              • #8
                Crusader
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • 2995

                Wolf's all black box has a bi-metal jacket, meaning steel and copper is mixed, which makes it magnetic. Magnetic ammo is often turned down by outdoor ranged due to the risk of sparks (from the steel,) and fires.

                The black and yellow box has an all copper jacket, so any range that allows rifle rounds to be fired will accept the yellow box (unless they're completely ignorant and magnetless).

                Comment

                • #9
                  CHS
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 11338

                  Originally posted by God Bless The Mauser
                  Carefull about using Wolf in your SKS, I hear they don't really do well with steel case ammo and it can break parts.
                  Uhhhhhhhhh, the SKS was DESIGNED to shoot Russian military ammo. STEEL, Russian military ammo.
                  Please read the Calguns Wiki
                  Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
                  --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    !@#$
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 2465

                    Originally posted by God Bless The Mauser
                    Carefull about using Wolf in your SKS, I hear they don't really do well with steel case ammo and it can break parts.
                    that's a sigline waiting to be had. i hope you just forgot the smiley

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1