Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Muzzle brake vs Flash hider?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sambodian
    Member
    • Nov 2017
    • 241

    Muzzle brake vs Flash hider?

    Is there any legal documentation from the DOJ that state the characteristic of a muzzle break vs flash hider?

    I went to the range the other day with a bird cage muzzle brake and the ranger say that I cannot have it on. But I bought it and it state muzzle brake and not a hider and he say "how do I know". I tried to explain but he say it a flash hider.

    I've tried googling but it seem like everyone has different opinions.
  • #2
    rustyx
    Member
    • May 2017
    • 307

    Last edited by rustyx; 12-08-2017, 11:49 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      tradecraft
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2008
      • 4630

      Post the exact muzzle device you have.
      Link to my feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...ser-tradecraft

      Comment

      • #4
        Sambodian
        Member
        • Nov 2017
        • 241



        I have the one on the right on.

        Comment

        • #5
          Sambodian
          Member
          • Nov 2017
          • 241

          I thinking about building another one with the mag lock. I just want my first AR15 featureless, but this muzzle brake description just so vague without the DOJ stating it. driving me crazy, cant seem to find an answer.

          Comment

          • #6
            rustyx
            Member
            • May 2017
            • 307

            Originally posted by Sambodian
            I thinking about building another one with the mag lock. I just want my first AR15 featureless, but this muzzle brake description just so vague without the DOJ stating it. driving me crazy, cant seem to find an answer.

            Comment

            • #7
              hermosabeach
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Feb 2009
              • 19836

              Is it worth
              - Arrest
              - loss of firearm
              -possible loss of job / career

              It’s .223 so you don’t need a brake.. more likely to permanently damage your ears


              I would buy a brake that looked like a brake and move on.....



              The DOJ writes vague laws....



              My guess is that if you search for your device on the web, you will find at least a few sites saying it is both a Break and a flash hider
              Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

              Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

              Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

              Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
              (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

              Comment

              • #8
                tradecraft
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2008
                • 4630

                What is the exact brand and model OP?
                Link to my feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...ser-tradecraft

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57179

                  Originally posted by Sambodian
                  Is there any legal documentation from the DOJ that state the characteristic of a muzzle break vs flash hider?
                  A muzzle device that reduces the flash from the shooter's field-of-view or is marketed as a flash suppressor is considered a flash suppressor.

                  That's about as much as you are going to get from the state.
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Sambodian
                    Member
                    • Nov 2017
                    • 241

                    I would expect if they want to make it a law, it should be enforce and be able to identify it especially for a LEO. or make it clear no muzzle/flash brake. smh

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57179

                      Originally posted by Sambodian
                      I would expect if they want to make it a law, it should be enforce and be able to identify it especially for a LEO. or make it clear no muzzle/flash brake. smh
                      The DOJ is not in the business of making things clear.
                      They prefer to obfuscate and let the DA's figure it out.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Sambodian
                        Member
                        • Nov 2017
                        • 241

                        It just say A2 muzzle brake I bought from turner.

                        Originally posted by tradecraft
                        What is the exact brand and model OP?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          LEAD LAUNCHER
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2013
                          • 1938

                          Originally posted by Sambodian


                          I have the one on the right on.
                          Honestly If I used one of these a2 look brakes I would print out that pic and throw it in my range bag to hand to doofuses like that one you ran into.

                          Hand it to them and say "Ok son-I'm going to teach you the difference between a muzzle brake and a flash hider today".

                          Might not work for everybody but it's worth a shot.

                          ..

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            tradecraft
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2008
                            • 4630

                            Originally posted by Sambodian
                            It just say A2 muzzle brake I bought from turner.
                            Aim Sports Brake most likely. You *should* be GTG.
                            Link to my feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...ser-tradecraft

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Sambodian
                              Member
                              • Nov 2017
                              • 241

                              Probably wouldn't work for a LEO. Would be seriously if he cant identify it. I would recommend a retraining.

                              If you going to use a firearm on the job it should be a requirement to understand the basic firearm. Especially when its common.


                              Originally posted by LEAD LAUNCHER
                              Honestly If I used one of these a2 look brakes I would print out that pic and throw it in my range bag to hand to doofuses like that one you ran into.

                              Hand it to them and say "Ok son-I'm going to teach you the difference between a muzzle brake and a flash hider today".

                              Might not work for everybody but it's worth a shot.

                              ..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1