Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

ledge grip

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kzin
    Member
    • Oct 2017
    • 185

    ledge grip

    Saw this last week and bought it on impulse. Didn't see it in forum search.



    I've shot it twice now.

    My first impression was that it was just an inferior version of the monster-man but now I'm really liking the thumb support. When I bought it I envisaged the thumb pad on the support and was at first disappointed to find that won't work. My thumb rides the support way down around the base of the thumb with the tip riding on the selector as it does with the mm. All in all a pretty decent 'lock in'. I find the base a little too thick for my hands but some people might prefer it.

    Yet another option.

    I'm amazed that people write off featureless because they can't find anything satisfactory.

    eta -I have the a2 version so I have no idea how the stock lock piece works

    eta -SEE BELOW!
    Last edited by kzin; 12-08-2017, 1:50 PM.
  • #2
    ojisan
    Agent 86
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2008
    • 11781

    Looks good.
    Adding the thumb support really increases your grip and control.

    Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
    I don't really care, I just like to argue.

    Comment

    • #3
      kzin
      Member
      • Oct 2017
      • 185

      BEWARE!

      Mine broke in half right behind the mount to the lower with no known hi-stress events.

      That was after a day in my 30 degree car so maybe Kalifornans won't be as affected?

      I was on the borderline of going back to the mm anyway so I'm not even going to bother seeing if they would make good on it.

      Comment

      • #4
        WWDHD?
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 2728

        That's really bad news. I was thinking of trying one of these but if I don't hear about the company making these grips taking care of you OP I'll just get a MM and be done with it. That was my original plan anyways before I came upon the Ledge grip.
        NRA & CRPA member
        semi-docile tax payer
        amateur survivalist

        Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!

        Comment

        • #5
          Wombats Are Dangerous
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2011
          • 1448

          Originally posted by kzin
          BEWARE!

          Mine broke in half right behind the mount to the lower with no known hi-stress events.

          That was after a day in my 30 degree car so maybe Kalifornans won't be as affected?

          I was on the borderline of going back to the mm anyway so I'm not even going to bother seeing if they would make good on it.
          Interesting... can you post pics of the break?

          I'm curious, looking at their business name, whether their products are 3D printed. If they are 3D printing, I wonder if their choice of filament material isn't strong enough for the stress of a firearm?

          Really good looking concept though. I love the thumb lug idea. It's a nice evolution from the other thumb rest designs in the market. I wonder if it's set low enough in the grip for an ambi safety to clear the thumb?

          I'm trying out a Strike Industries Megafin right now and even 60-degree throws will prevent my thumb from seating all the way into their thumb rest.

          Comment

          • #6
            kzin
            Member
            • Oct 2017
            • 185

            I did decide to contact the maker. They are being very positive, say they will definitely replace it. Want a picture so I'll also post it here some time monday.

            The only thumb support is the cylindrical protrusion.
            There is a T shape to the grip but that is way too low for the thumb.
            The fingers wrap around it.

            The thumb support is far from interfering with the safety. But with the base of the thumb on it you may not be able to reach to move the safety both ways.

            My ARs are totally range guns so I never even checked one handed operation.

            btw - the thumb support is totally optional.
            On or off easily with allen key
            Last edited by kzin; 12-10-2017, 2:21 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              Wombats Are Dangerous
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2011
              • 1448

              Originally posted by kzin
              The only thumb support is the cylindrical protrusion.
              There is a T shape to the grip but that is way too low for the thumb.
              The fingers wrap around it.

              The thumb support is far from interfering with the safety. But with the base of the thumb on it you may not be able to reach to move the safety both ways.

              My ARs are totally range guns so I never even checked one handed operation.

              btw - the thumb support is totally optional.
              On or off easily with allen key
              I definitely like the versatility of the thumb rest. Personally, I'm not that concerned with one-handed operation either. I just like the convenience of it.

              Let us know what they say. It's always good to have insight on a company's customer service philosophy.

              Comment

              • #8
                kzin
                Member
                • Oct 2017
                • 185

                pics

                you can see the basic construction in addition to the breakage
                Attached Files

                Comment

                • #9
                  Wombats Are Dangerous
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2011
                  • 1448

                  Originally posted by kzin
                  pics
                  you can see the basic construction in addition to the breakage
                  Holy cow! That's a clean break.

                  I vaguely remember an account of the early run of 3D-printed Exile Backfin grips cracking at the thumb rest. Too lazy to go look up the thread though.

                  The sub-freezing temp may have something to do with it. Plastic contracts in cold weather and the cheaper filament has lower tolerances.

                  All speculation on my part though. I'm curious what the company says to you about this failure.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    kzin
                    Member
                    • Oct 2017
                    • 185

                    Originally posted by Wombats Are Dangerous
                    Holy cow! That's a clean break.

                    I vaguely remember an account of the early run of 3D-printed Exile Backfin grips cracking at the thumb rest. Too lazy to go look up the thread though.

                    The sub-freezing temp may have something to do with it. Plastic contracts in cold weather and the cheaper filament has lower tolerances.

                    All speculation on my part though. I'm curious what the company says to you about this failure.
                    He said he hasn't seen it before and a new one is on the way. I guess my experience shouldn't be much of a reason for anyone else not to give it a try if it appeals.

                    I'm not gentle with my stuff and I may have done something dumb but I wouldn't know how to try to do that on purpose!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Wombats Are Dangerous
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2011
                      • 1448

                      Originally posted by kzin
                      He said he hasn't seen it before and a new one is on the way. I guess my experience shouldn't be much of a reason for anyone else not to give it a try if it appeals.

                      I'm not gentle with my stuff and I may have done something dumb but I wouldn't know how to try to do that on purpose!
                      The internal design looks sound. It looks like they have plenty of structural support inside the grip.

                      That spot is definitely one of the main stress points on the grip, as the entire weight of the front of the rifle is sitting on that section. It's interesting in that it looks like the break is juuuuuust past where the grip meets the receiver.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        maxxsmart
                        Junior Member
                        • Apr 2017
                        • 46

                        3D printed for sure... I don't think 3D printing has reached the durability level most would want on their gun. Still, looks interesting

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          WWDHD?
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2010
                          • 2728

                          Originally posted by kzin
                          He said he hasn't seen it before and a new one is on the way. I guess my experience shouldn't be much of a reason for anyone else not to give it a try if it appeals.

                          I'm not gentle with my stuff and I may have done something dumb but I wouldn't know how to try to do that on purpose!
                          Did they send you a new grip? If so is it improved from the first one or the same?
                          NRA & CRPA member
                          semi-docile tax payer
                          amateur survivalist

                          Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            B&E3D
                            Junior Member
                            • Jan 2018
                            • 1

                            Hello,
                            I notice that the OP kzin never reported back on this issue. I am one of the owners of B&E3D the makers of the LedgeGrip. I cannot with 100% authority say that we have helped kzin out, however, as we have only ever had 1 of these grips fail in this way (that we are aware of) and assuming that it was he that contacted us, i can tell you that we immediately took care of him. We work with each and every person that reaches out to us, and will make every effort to resolve any issue that a customer may have with our products. Feel free to visit the website or contact us at info@ledgegrip.com with any questions you may have.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              kzin
                              Member
                              • Oct 2017
                              • 185

                              I've been off the forum.

                              I thought I had posted already that the maker did fully replace the grip at no expense to me. I was very satisfied with the response. Maybe there was a second thread?

                              tbh - I prefer the shape of the monsterman and haven't been using the ledge.

                              I would have no problem using the ledge if I didn't already have the monsterman also, though.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1