Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Building an Upper

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hystad
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2007
    • 40

    Building an Upper

    Just bought a stripped lower last weekend. Its a really nice unit. http://www.tacticalinc.com/t15bdx-bi...er-p-1082.html

    I am now in the market for an upper and was wondering if it is cheaper to buy one assembled or to put one together yourself. I am sure someone has already done the leg work and priced this out. There are a few places out there that have uppers in stock in the $750 range. This is a bit pricey for me plus you have to take what they have.

    What do you guys think.
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
  • #2
    hamster
    Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 457

    I think the calculation is that unless you plan on putting together 3 or more uppers that it's cheaper to buy a complete one over buying the specialized tools.
    Nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it.
    Hamster's AR-15

    Comment

    • #3
      rabagley
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2008
      • 7180

      Looks like a nice lower.

      First thing, I would sign up to get notified when the BCM upper groups come back in stock:

      Mid Length 16" Upper Receiver Group. This AR15 Upper comes with a 16in barrel & your choice of muzzle device and handguard. Designed as life saving tools.


      And then I would read and read some more. Answer and then ask some more detailed questions. Do you want a rifle length or mid-length upper (you don't want a carbine-length upper)? Is this for SHTF, plinking, varmint, target shooting?

      If you get notified that the BCM upper is in stock and you haven't decided on a different upper, jump on the BCM.
      "Ecuador offers the United States $23 million a year in economic aid, an amount similar to what we were receiving under the tariff benefits, with the purpose of providing human rights training that will contribute to avoid violations of people's privacy, that degrade humanity," --Fernando Alvarado

      Comment

      • #4
        dieselpower
        Banned
        • Jan 2009
        • 11471

        If you can find someone with the tools, its cheaper to build it yourself, but not by that much unless you get all the parts from one place to save on shipping cost or you buy used. Buying used is sometimes very cheap and you can assemble the whole thing for $400ish.

        Comment

        • #5
          nicoroshi
          www.Buildyourownak.info
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Jan 2009
          • 3696

          Like rabagley suggests:
          Know what you want it to do before you decide on anything.
          It would be cheaper IMO to buy a complete upper than build one. As hamster says you'll need some specialized tools to build one, and check it so it's safe (i.e head space gauges at ~$28 a piece. Torque wrench, AR tool/ barrel nut tool, etc).
          I decided to build mine for two reasons (actually three).
          1. I wanted to hand pick the parts for my upper (barrel, comp, rail system, etc)
          2. Complete uppers were back ordered till almost next year when I was looking.
          3. I just love to build things, and I wanted the satisfaction of saying, "I built this myself".
          This being said i think the first move is to decide what kind of shooting you want the rifle to do.

          >>>>>My Build Your Own AK eBooks<<<<<

          Comment

          • #6
            hystad
            Junior Member
            • Sep 2007
            • 40

            "Please Note: High demand items like, Standard Capacity AR15 Magazines, Bolt Carrier Groups, Upper Receiver Groups, etc, will sell out again in only minutes."

            The BCM is pretty much what I was looking for. Armalite has similar pricing. I was looking for a 20" barrel.

            I guess I'll be using it for plinking and varmit (I live on a small ranch).

            I would like a good lower that does not have all the bells and whistles. I'll add those later. What fun is there if you can't modify it. I think I am just going to order one complete when my wife is out of town.
            Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

            Comment

            • #7
              rabagley
              Calguns Addict
              • Apr 2008
              • 7180

              Okay, 20" barrel means rifle-length gas system. This is good, as it will be smooth and reliable (mid-length is also typically smooth and reliable). 16" barrels with carbine-length gas systems are a PITA. The link I sent you to was for the mid-length uppers, so be sure to sign up to be notified for the rifle-length instead.

              About the BCM upper availability, yeah, it's a tough market right now. Demand is outstripping supply by a healthy margin. If you are close to your computer and read your email regularly, the BCM uppers are some of the best and aren't expensive for what you get.

              If you want one (I certainly do), be ready with your CC and jump when you get the email.
              "Ecuador offers the United States $23 million a year in economic aid, an amount similar to what we were receiving under the tariff benefits, with the purpose of providing human rights training that will contribute to avoid violations of people's privacy, that degrade humanity," --Fernando Alvarado

              Comment

              • #8
                gemini1
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 2230

                I was also wondering about this. Since its a PITA to find a complete upper at reasonable price, would it then be possible to get a bare barrel and all the parts to complete an upper and have a smith assemble it? I wa think of doing this and then maybe get a gas piston instead of a DI, wonder how much Addax will charge for the service?

                Comment

                • #9
                  Vinz
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 2874

                  Its like $400 and some change for a GPU upgrade.

                  Keep your eye out for parts they are ou there just just have to be on your toes.
                  Email this guy, he usualy has a way of finding parts you may need. He always comes through.
                  Luis @ lcgarparts@att.net

                  vinz
                  Last edited by Vinz; 03-02-2009, 10:47 PM.
                  Armis Exposcere Pacem
                  VM-1 AMBI SLING PLATES stamped US made
                  VM-1S Strap version ambi sling plate

                  In Memory Of Babe....I also remember the Eggs and Country fried potatoes that went with that Bacon.

                  Originally posted by Fot
                  In before the penis measurements
                  ROFL

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1