Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Pmag issues - gen 3

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • AGGRO
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 2793

    Pmag issues - gen 3

    Just put together my AR10 and right off the bat issues with pmags and bolt catch. Anyone else? I'll be figuring out whether to just take it back and get another brand or youtubing until I find a fix. So far I've seen grinds off the top or where the follower is catching at the lip.

    The catch only works about 2 out of 10 tries.
  • #2
    jeremyro
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 1294

    What do you mean by works? Like it does not lock back on empty? Is it with live ammo or when hand cycling? I use the Pmags on my Fulton M110 and have no issues.

    Comment

    • #3
      AGGRO
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2009
      • 2793

      Originally posted by jeremyro
      What do you mean by works? Like it does not lock back on empty? Is it with live ammo or when hand cycling? I use the Pmags on my Fulton M110 and have no issues.
      After last shot or with empty mag bolt won't catch and battery isn't open cycling handle. It worked twice out of ten pulls.

      Looks like a fairly common problem on you tube.

      Probably one of these two



      Last edited by AGGRO; 04-14-2017, 3:41 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        ar15barrels
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2006
        • 57179

        Originally posted by AGGRO
        Just put together my AR10 and right off the bat issues with pmags and bolt catch. Anyone else? I'll be figuring out whether to just take it back and get another brand or youtubing until I find a fix. So far I've seen grinds off the top or where the follower is catching at the lip.

        The catch only works about 2 out of 10 tries.
        Brand new guns often have problems with brand new PMAGS.
        Start out with a metal mag until the gun has a couple hundred rounds through it.
        THEN introduce the Pmags and see if they will run.
        You might also add some powdered graphite in the mags to free them up.
        Randall Rausch

        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

        Comment

        • #5
          AGGRO
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 2793

          Originally posted by ar15barrels
          Brand new guns often have problems with brand new PMAGS.
          Start out with a metal mag until the gun has a couple hundred rounds through it.
          THEN introduce the Pmags and see if they will run.
          You might also add some powdered graphite in the mags to free them up.


          All turners had, I'll have to order a metal one as ar parts around here are scarce. If I push the bottom of the catch real hard it will sometimes catch and stay open. It just barely touches a tip of the bolt.

          This may not be a mag issue at all after looking at it some more.
          Last edited by AGGRO; 04-14-2017, 4:34 PM. Reason: Got a good look at it in the sun

          Comment

          • #6
            all-cal
            Member
            • Dec 2013
            • 335

            Your bolt catch may be the incorrect one. Perhaps you have an AR15 bolt catch installed. Also, make sure that your buffer is the right weight (Carbine vs. rifle-length).

            Comment

            • #7
              AGGRO
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 2793

              Originally posted by all-cal
              Your bolt catch may be the incorrect one. Perhaps you have an AR15 bolt catch installed. Also, make sure that your buffer is the right weight (Carbine vs. rifle-length).

              Pretty sure buffer is good. They did leave out the ambi parts kit so wrong catch could be a possibility. That would suck.

              Could it even fit? My first 10 so I dunno. It barely even touches the bolt lugs on one side and won't touch at all with mag out.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by AGGRO; 04-14-2017, 6:01 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                AGGRO
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2009
                • 2793

                So I taped a tiny piece of cardboard to the follower and it was enough to get the catch to hold the bolt open. It may be the same issue in the second vid. I'm picking up another mag this weekend and I'll try the pmag again after a few hundred shots. I need the brass to reload anywhos.

                Comment

                • #9
                  sffred
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 2421

                  Originally posted by AGGRO
                  So I taped a tiny piece of cardboard to the follower and it was enough to get the catch to hold the bolt open. It may be the same issue in the second vid. I'm picking up another mag this weekend and I'll try the pmag again after a few hundred shots. I need the brass to reload anywhos.
                  Originally posted by AGGRO
                  Just put together my AR10 and right off the bat issues with pmags and bolt catch. Anyone else? I'll be figuring out whether to just take it back and get another brand or youtubing until I find a fix. So far I've seen grinds off the top or where the follower is catching at the lip.

                  The catch only works about 2 out of 10 tries.
                  Is your AR10 an AR10A or AR10B? Make sure you have the proper bolt catch.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    AGGRO
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 2793

                    Originally posted by sffred
                    Is your AR10 an AR10A or AR10B? Make sure you have the proper bolt catch.
                    It's a JL billet lower and it came with their parts kit. The shop did leave out the ambi kit but they gave it to me no charge. The upper is a new one from Daytona Tactical.



                    If you need a 308 lower and upper parts kit, JL Billet has you covered for Quality Billet 80% 308 LR lower Receivers and Parts.Click Here to Buy Now !!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1