Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

BCM Complete Lower Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CalFO350
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2016
    • 6

    BCM Complete Lower Question

    Hello All,
    I've been wanting a BCM 16" AR-15. From what I've been reading about, I have very little time (as the deadline of 01/01/2017 is approaching, and the more realistic deadline being 12/21/2016). If I purchase a complete BCM lower receiver before the deadline (then registering it as a RAW), will I legally be allowed to purchase and install a 16" BCM upper to my lower after 01/01/2017?
    I've been trying to dig this up elsewhere but I couldn't find anything close to this question
  • #2
    Zubba
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 611

    Since nobody has chimed in yet, I'll attempt an answer.

    Your build has to have required a bullet button before 1/1/2017, so you legally would have had to assemble it before that date. A lower does not require a BB.

    From what I understand, if you built it to the "proper" state, then disassembled before 1/1/2017 it would still qualify. If that makes sense.

    Comment

    • #3
      CalFO350
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2016
      • 6

      Makes sense, Funds are low right now for me, If I were to buy a dirt cheap upper, assemble it, BB it, and then register it, would I be allowed to change the upper to a different one after 01/01/2017?

      Comment

      • #4
        jimbo74
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2014
        • 2923

        yup
        "It is currently CA legal to modify a double-action revolver into a single-action revolver and modify a single-action revolver into a double-action revolver.

        CA DOJ BOF stance on modifying handguns only applies to dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistols and dimensionally compliant break-open single-shot pistols.
        ^It does not apply to revolvers, manually operated repeating pistols, and semi-auto pistols." ~~ Quiet

        Comment

        • #5
          jdmstuff
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2012
          • 761

          The BCM complete lowers ship with a standard mag release. I bought one from Riflegear a few weeks back that way. To answer your question, wait until after you have it registered as an AW before you put on a centerfire upper on it, and you won't need to worry about a bullet button.

          Comment

          • #6
            Zubba
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2008
            • 611

            Originally posted by jdmstuff
            The BCM complete lowers ship with a standard mag release. I bought one from Riflegear a few weeks back that way. To answer your question, wait until after you have it registered as an AW before you put on a centerfire upper on it, and you won't need to worry about a bullet button.
            Technically, I think this is violating the law. I'll admit I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain the law requires that the firearm meet a specific definition (BB) at some point before 1/1/2017.

            If you want to be in compliance with the law, you need to build your lowers up at some point before 1/1/2017. It would be ok to take 5 lowers, assemble each of them with 1 upper, disassemble, then register all 5.

            Comment

            • #7
              CalFO350
              Junior Member
              • Oct 2016
              • 6

              Originally posted by jdmstuff
              The BCM complete lowers ship with a standard mag release. I bought one from Riflegear a few weeks back that way. To answer your question, wait until after you have it registered as an AW before you put on a centerfire upper on it, and you won't need to worry about a bullet button.
              So I can purchase just the lower and be able to register it and throw an upper on it after 01/01/2017? Sorry if I'm asking a lot, I just want to be safe, being a college student and not being able to get a job because I accidentally end up as a felon would defeat the whole purpose of going to college

              Comment

              • #8
                SinisterBud
                Member
                • Feb 2011
                • 273

                Where are people getting that your going to be able to take the bullet button off or not need one if you register.
                "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."

                Comment

                • #9
                  thorium
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 970

                  Lowers are generally lowers. I have two BCM upper rifles, both with total build costs around $2k (with good optics), and I built them on $40 Anderson lowers. While not the question you asked, save on the lower receiver and invest the money in something like a geissele trigger upgrade.

                  Get the lower fully built out, with a bullet button, before the end of the year. Register same.

                  We don't have the implementing regulations for the new AW ban yet, so we don't know what exactly will be allowed / what the process will be. But in all likelihood, you'll be able to register a completed, bullet buttoned, lower half.
                  -------------------------

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    dyson
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • 4342

                    Main thing is buy the lower by the end of the year. If you want to get technical you can buy an upper, slap it on, and sell the upper the next day

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      spdrcr
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 2108

                      Originally posted by SinisterBud
                      Where are people getting that your going to be able to take the bullet button off or not need one if you register.
                      Purely speculation at this point. No one knows for sure.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        310Rak1187
                        Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 198

                        Hey OP, if you still interested in buying a complete BCM lower, you can get it from primaryarms and they will install BB for you. I bought 2 complete BCM lowers from them about a month ago or so. Edit.. they are in stock in riflegear too.
                        Last edited by 310Rak1187; 10-12-2016, 6:00 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Kwikvette
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2015
                          • 3704

                          Originally posted by jdmstuff
                          The BCM complete lowers ship with a standard mag release. I bought one from Riflegear a few weeks back that way. To answer your question, wait until after you have it registered as an AW before you put on a centerfire upper on it, and you won't need to worry about a bullet button.
                          FUD

                          There's nothing set in stone as to what will be allowed for registered AW's.
                          Originally posted by longrange1
                          my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
                          Originally posted by XDJYo
                          Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CouchOperator
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2016
                            • 4353

                            Eh, with the exception of the bottom of the barrel, most lowers are good to go. LMT with the sopmod kit is a bangin lower setup for ~$500 complete.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Zubba
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 611

                              I've picked up a couple BCM lowers from riflegear recently myself, they aren't a great value or anything, but I do really like BCM, and the PNT triggers are pretty damn nice.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1