Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Mini 14s

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • landser1102
    Member
    • May 2007
    • 285

    Mini 14s

    Anybody own or shot a Mini 14? How you guys like it? What 10rds magazine did you use? I am thinking about getting a NRA version. I am not really looking for long range accuracy. Just a reliable, all around rifle.
    Last edited by landser1102; 01-23-2009, 2:42 PM.
    "I have neither the time nor the patience to explain myself to someone who sleeps under the very blanket of freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it"
  • #2
    Calilove1
    Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 286

    Magazines

    I have found that the factory 10 rounders work the best... My buddy has a couple of after market 30 rounders but he gets constant issues with them.

    I'm curious too... Any of you have any insight on good aftermarket ones for the mini 14?
    I believe in our rights under the 2nd Amendment and believe that all gun owners need training. Training not only makes gun ownership safe it also creates strong defenders of our rights. Are you interested in a lifetime of top notch firearms training from the very basics to the most advanced force on force tactical courses available for pennies on the dollar?

    Please PM me about a Diamond, Legacy, Challenge, or Self Reliance Lifetime Memberships at Front Sight in Nevada.

    Comment

    • #3
      Flying Bones
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      • Dec 2008
      • 1419

      Factory mags are the only reliable mags, I don't care what anyone says I have nothing but problems with aftermarket mags. You'll be at the range hassle free with a great gun.
      Last edited by Flying Bones; 01-26-2009, 7:54 PM.
      Originally posted by Aleksei Vasiliev
      What's the best way to turn a black glock pink?
      Originally posted by huck
      You still can't wear it in the parade.


      Lord, protect me from my friends. I can handle my enemies.

      Comment

      • #4
        Flintlock Tom
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • 3353

        I bought 2 after market, U.S. made, plain black, 10 round mags on GunBroker for $20. They work just fine, no issues.
        Sorry I don't know the maker, they are unmarked.
        "Everyone must determine for themselves what level of tyranny they are willing to tolerate.
        I let my CA residency expire in 2015."

        Comment

        • #5
          Hopi
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2005
          • 7700

          There has to be at least 100 threads on this topic. Searching will be productive.

          also try here

          Comment

          • #6
            Hans Gruber
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2005
            • 1901

            Originally posted by Flying Bones
            Have you looked in to building an AR? For the price of that Mini-14 you can have a more versatile rifle. I bought a Mini-14 then built an AR. I would have never bought the mini if I had known then what I know now.
            I'd love to be able to build a brand new AR for $700 but that's just not happening anymore. It just seems a lot simpler, faster and cheaper to go down to Turners and get a mini sometimes.

            I'm personally getting pretty discouraged myself and may just get a mini to tide me over (though I'd much prefer an AR).

            From this weeks circular:
            Team Echo-Sigma!
            http://echo-sigma.com
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              RedDawn
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2007
              • 2234

              Nothing wrong with getting a Mini-14. Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it.
              sigpic
              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined, nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants. They serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

              -- Thomas Jefferson, 1764
              *Excerpts from "On Crimes and Punishment" by Cesare Beccaria

              Comment

              • #8
                DarkHorse
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2009
                • 935

                It will be a reliable (with factory mags) all around rifle. You will have a difficult time finding good aftermarket 10 round magazines. If 5-6" groups at 100 yards is good enough for you, then a Mini should be fine. A new one should be a little better than that. However, with MSRP's over $850 for a basic Mini, an AR build might not be a bad idea. Except that AR's are hard to find right now, and prices are rising on those as well.

                I have a 580 Ranch Rifle, and John Masen mags are horrible, but I do have a good nickel ProMag 10 rounder. I just can't find more.

                Teardown and cleaning is easy; ammo is fairly common, but in high demand right now. Aftermarket accessories are less plentiful than an AR, but that only matters if you care about new stocks, rails, scopes, etc.

                As is, the Mini is a decent all around rifle, but it'll be expensive to make it a whole lot better.

                The choice is yours...

                EDIT - Where is that ad for $700? That's not a bad deal. Where are these infamous "Turner's" stores located?
                Last edited by DarkHorse; 01-23-2009, 3:18 PM. Reason: new info
                This is my sig line.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Cal45man
                  Junior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 39

                  I bought a used stainless Mini14 in mint condition mine was made in 1991 it only had a couple mags fired from the rifle when I got it.The mini14 is a reliable carbine with factory hi cap or 10rd mags.It is a fun carbine to shoot or have considering HR1022 maybe future proposal.It is not a tack driver like my CMMG M4 but is ok.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Hans Gruber
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 1901

                    Originally posted by DarkHorse
                    If 5-6" groups at 100 yards is good enough for you, then a Mini should be fine. A new one should be a little better than that.
                    For my first knock-around semi-rifle I was hoping to do a bit better than that. Say 2-3 but I don't know how realistic that is.

                    EDIT - Where is that ad for $700? That's not a bad deal. Where are these infamous "Turner's" stores located?
                    Scattered all over SoCal. Less than sterling reputation in some peoples eyes, but they're conveniently located enough to be useful. You can check out their site at www.turners.com. I'd much rather throw the business to a local shop but nobody seems to have anything in stock.

                    [ETA: Funny story about Turners. I picked up my PPT bolt rifle there yesterday and they didn't have a single .308 Win round in the store. Nada. Not even a snap cap. ]
                    Team Echo-Sigma!
                    http://echo-sigma.com
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      tmuller
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 1839

                      I've shot 3" goups from my stock mini-14 at 100yards off a bipod with irons. My Stag shoots mildly better with an Eotech but not that much. I think cheaply built AR's will have similar accuracy to the mini, however nice AR's can be much better and the aftermarket accesory selection is certaily superior. Personally I like my mini...I like my AR more but I still like the mini for what it is.
                      WTB - prelock smith 44's

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        DarkHorse
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 935

                        Originally posted by Hans Gruber
                        For my first knock-around semi-rifle I was hoping to do a bit better than that. Say 2-3 but I don't know how realistic that is...
                        2-3" is definitely possible, especially with the newer, heavier barrels. But, you'll want to bed the stock, work the trigger, and free-float the barrel. It is believed that any sort of muzzle device will aid accuracy, but there aren't many for newer Minis yet, unless you thread the barrel for some type of AR brake. The NRA has a shorter barrel, which is good for accuracy in Minis. Also, there are several versions of a barrel strut that runs underneath the barrel and stiffens it, to address stringing issues.
                        At this point, if you've done all of the labor yourself, you've probably spent about $100-150. Many people suggest cryo-treating the receiver/barrel as well, which might cost another $60 or so with shipping.
                        Mini's have a reputaion for launching brass into the next county, so there are gas port bushing kits available to tune the system, as well as a typical shok-buff type item to protect the receiver from the operating rod impact. These don't necessarily affect accuracy, but they make it more enjoyable to shoot and pick up brass afterwards.

                        Really, it's just a lot of little things to address, but little things can add up fast. I've heard of people doing the work mentioned above and getting 1.5-2MOA rifles, but they also reload. From what I've read, to create a genuine MOA Mini requires mucho $$$ and custom work, but as mine isn't to that level, I can neither confirm nor deny those claims. I also don't expect that from my Mini, so I have no desire to reach that level. That's waht AR's are for!
                        Last edited by DarkHorse; 01-23-2009, 3:58 PM. Reason: typo
                        This is my sig line.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          landser1102
                          Member
                          • May 2007
                          • 285

                          I have two ARs. One in carbine and one in mid length gas system. I was lucky enough to had them built before the Yomama big rush.

                          Would you consider around $850 shipped a decent price for a Mini 14 NRA version?
                          "I have neither the time nor the patience to explain myself to someone who sleeps under the very blanket of freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it"

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            rino
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 625

                            I own two mini-14's ,i love them bolth one is a 1976 200 years of freedom addition and the other is a 1999 ss,blk.-gry lam. stock. now, you said you wanted a reliable gun? then imo this is the gun for you . the guns relatives have won wars for this country ! this gun is not as good at long range as the ar-15 but after 100 yrds who cares ,im geting 3-6" groupings at 100yds with cheap ammo . the price diffrance is 2 - 1 between ar and the mini right now so pic the gun that fits your budget as well. it will do the job it was made to do. (put a smile on your face).

                            i have factory 5 , 20 round mags that dont jam, also have 30 round mags i got from midway years ago that dont jam .(u.s.a. mags ,not the plastic style)

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              creampuff
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 3730

                              Originally posted by Calilove1
                              I have found that the factory 10 rounders work the best... My buddy has a couple of after market 30 rounders but he gets constant issues with them.

                              I'm curious too... Any of you have any insight on good aftermarket ones for the mini 14?
                              Ruger still makes a factory 10 rounder?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1