Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Which AR15 thread protector?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • adamjay
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 1400

    Which AR15 thread protector?

    Working on switching over an AR to featureless. Thinking of replacing the flash supressor with a thread protector. Just dont see the value of a muzzle brake for this rifle - dont need to reduce recoil and definately dont need to make it louder.

    Is any brand thread protector better than any other?
    Any come with a crush washer or just use blue loctite on them?
    I think a smooth finish looks better than a knurled one but this is secondary to quality/function.

    Have you used one?

    Thanks, AJ
    'The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.'

    -Abraham Lincoln
  • #2
    HardwoodRods
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 1093

    Loudner, definitely a loudner that's the way to go. Don't need a crush washer, anything will work, they are all about the same, IMHO
    "A free people ought to be armed" George Washington, 1790

    "Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have war, let it begin here" Capt. John Parker, 19 April 1776, Lexington Green

    Comment

    • #3
      rivraton
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2009
      • 1241

      These look pretty good, I just ordered a couple on eBay...

      Comment

      • #4
        Bullets&Whitewalls
        Senior Member
        • May 2012
        • 2380

        Originally posted by rivraton
        These look pretty good, I just ordered a couple on eBay...
        I like the looks of those!

        Comment

        • #5
          CWDraco
          Banned
          • May 2007
          • 3359

          Thordsen has a nice looking one too.

          Comment

          • #6
            XDJYo
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2012
            • 7100

            I am at the same stage. Not sure if I am going with a thread protector as I'm not digging the looks that much. I may go with a linear compensator. Like a Kaw Valley.
            Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
            Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
            Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
            M&P 15 (Mine)

            Comment

            • #7
              Schutzman
              Banned
              • Sep 2012
              • 261

              Yup, wondering about the Kaw Valley as well. The thread protectors look funk and not sure really WHAT the FOCK!

              Comment

              • #8
                XDJYo
                Calguns Addict
                • Apr 2012
                • 7100

                Originally posted by Schutzman
                Yup, wondering about the Kaw Valley as well. The thread protectors look funk and not sure really WHAT the FOCK!
                Here's the linear compensator I was looking at. http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw_...ear223-blk.htm

                Trying to find a pic of it on an AR15, I stumbled across this review. Haven't read it yet. http://spartantc.blogspot.com/2013/0...on-linear.html

                Happy shooting and be safe.
                Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                M&P 15 (Mine)

                Comment

                • #9
                  Schutzman
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 261

                  Yep, the Kaw Valley. Good deal @ JoeBob's. The review link doesn't have any talk on actually firing it. Bummer but hopefully can find some reviews

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    dwightlooi
                    Member
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 460

                    Originally posted by adamjay
                    Working on switching over an AR to featureless. Thinking of replacing the flash supressor with a thread protector. Just dont see the value of a muzzle brake for this rifle - dont need to reduce recoil and definately dont need to make it louder.

                    Is any brand thread protector better than any other?
                    Any come with a crush washer or just use blue loctite on them?
                    I think a smooth finish looks better than a knurled one but this is secondary to quality/function.

                    Have you used one?

                    Thanks, AJ
                    I NEVER use a crush washer... Loctite Red works better.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Boristheblade
                      Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 366

                      Im using this one on my AR. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                      Picture on my barrel http://i.imgur.com/FoB2JMd.jpg

                      Unfinished rifle http://i.imgur.com/mmgu6He.jpg

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        krondoUSA
                        Member
                        • Oct 2014
                        • 148

                        I've bought 2 from this fella on eBay. He can do basically anything you ask him to do. I found out about him on the 65grendel forum and everybody including me has been extremely happy with what he's done. Shoot him an message of you have eBay. You won't be sorry.



                        -Kevin

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1