Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Buffer Tube Assembly

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mr-Derek
    Member
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2015
    • 139

    Buffer Tube Assembly

    I was going to grab the Mil-Spec Buffer Tube Assembly they have on sale at Brownells for a build I'm gathering parts for and it got me thinking.

    Other than mil-spec or commercial do buffer tube assemblies matter or will cheap work as well as expensive? For an accuracy build can the buffer assembly effect function or accuracy?

    Cheap example: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...55-116241.aspx
    Expensive example: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod31717.aspx (I see even more expensive but they have counterweights and stuff so I wanted to keep it even)
  • #2
    Bansh88
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 2500

    Looks like the buffer is the difference. I've always used the standard milspec setups.

    Comment

    • #3
      CandG
      Spent $299 for this text!
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Apr 2014
      • 16970

      Originally posted by Mr-Derek
      I was going to grab the Mil-Spec Buffer Tube Assembly they have on sale at Brownells for a build I'm gathering parts for and it got me thinking.

      Other than mil-spec or commercial do buffer tube assemblies matter or will cheap work as well as expensive? For an accuracy build can the buffer assembly effect function or accuracy?

      Cheap example: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...55-116241.aspx
      Expensive example: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod31717.aspx (I see even more expensive but they have counterweights and stuff so I wanted to keep it even)
      Won't affect accuracy whatsoever, it doesn't serve any function until after the bullet has already left the barrel... more expensive ones often have better fit and finish, maybe buffers that feel better, sound better, reduce felt recoil better, or cycle better, but otherwise no bearing whatsoever on the bullet trajectory. I suppose one could argue that rapid followup shots might be easier or harder with different buffers.
      Last edited by CandG; 06-09-2016, 2:09 PM.
      Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


      Comment

      • #4
        Exdc
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2011
        • 893

        Buffer Tube Assembly

        From my first hand experience, spend some extra money on a good quality buffer tube. My first one was canted and it caused failure to eject. Additionally, if your stock doesn't fit well into the buffer tube, it will wobble, preventing you from holding the weapon steady, which actually could significantly affect accuracy.

        With that said, 100 is a lot to put into just the buffer system. maybe look for a compromise? Also read reviews. Might check Stag.


        Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Exdc; 06-09-2016, 2:22 PM.
        Radical Centerist (That's me) Philosophy:
        Originally posted by Unknown
        "I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
        Originally posted by Allhailflintlocks
        Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
        Legislator "logic":
        Originally posted by Dezrat
        Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....

        Comment

        • #5
          penguin0123
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2011
          • 3089

          Part of that $100 is the pony tax.

          Comment

          • #6
            jimbo74
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2014
            • 2923

            A guy from my lhs showed me an integrated buffer/spring unit, said it was a lot smoother for competition use

            "It is currently CA legal to modify a double-action revolver into a single-action revolver and modify a single-action revolver into a double-action revolver.

            CA DOJ BOF stance on modifying handguns only applies to dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistols and dimensionally compliant break-open single-shot pistols.
            ^It does not apply to revolvers, manually operated repeating pistols, and semi-auto pistols." ~~ Quiet

            Comment

            • #7
              Bansh88
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2009
              • 2500

              Originally posted by penguin0123
              Part of that $100 is the pony tax.
              Yep. Didn't see that. Colt bumps that price up 30%

              Comment

              • #8
                Mr-Derek
                Member
                CGN Contributor
                • Jul 2015
                • 139

                Originally posted by jimbo74
                A guy from my lhs showed me an integrated buffer/spring unit, said it was a lot smoother for competition use

                That JP Enterprises Silent Captured System is super nice and I really link how smooth they feel. I just don't like the weight, they are heavy in comparison.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Sicarius
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 2917

                  Also make sure it is 7000 series al. A lot of the cheap ones are 6k.
                  Kevin

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mr-Derek
                    Member
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Jul 2015
                    • 139

                    So as long as the tube is a good quality (7075) everything else is about the same it sounds like. Do you ever get variations in outside diameter of the tubes?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Unretarded
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2016
                      • 466

                      Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                      Won't affect accuracy whatsoever, it doesn't serve any function until after the bullet has already left the barrel... more expensive ones often have better fit and finish, maybe buffers that feel better, sound better, reduce felt recoil better, or cycle better, but otherwise no bearing whatsoever on the bullet trajectory. I suppose one could argue that rapid followup shots might be easier or harder with different buffers.
                      That pretty much sums it up...rapid recovery and spotting your own shots.staying on target......bullet flight path......no effect.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Mr-Derek
                        Member
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jul 2015
                        • 139

                        Originally posted by Unretarded
                        That pretty much sums it up...rapid recovery and spotting your own shots.staying on target......bullet flight path......no effect.
                        But that's really the buffer and spring isn't it?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          CandG
                          Spent $299 for this text!
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Apr 2014
                          • 16970

                          Originally posted by Mr-Derek
                          But that's really the buffer and spring isn't it?
                          I thought that's what the question was about... "buffer tube assembly", ie tube/buffer/spring/castle-nut/end-plate
                          Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Mr-Derek
                            Member
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Jul 2015
                            • 139

                            Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                            I thought that's what the question was about... "buffer tube assembly", ie tube/buffer/spring/castle-nut/end-plate
                            You are correct, that was the question but I was double checking. If the soft feel and rapid recovery was only effected by the buffer and spring or is it all of it?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Gringo Bandito
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 1835

                              Originally posted by Mr-Derek
                              That JP Enterprises Silent Captured System is super nice and I really link how smooth they feel. I just don't like the weight, they are heavy in comparison.


                              Yeah but if you combine it with the right components, it will make an AR that has very little recoil movement. It's 100% worth every penny.


                              Sent while driving 80 mph, eating a cheeseburger and using my knee to steer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1