Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Historically correct AKM side folder?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • penguin0123
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 3089

    Historically correct AKM side folder?

    I've always been an AR/M1 guy, but I want a historically correct AK (in 7.62x39) just to round out my collection. I want stamped receiver because of cost and weight. I also want a folding stock just because. This gun will mostly be in a safe and shot occasionally for a run-n-gun match.

    AKMS is a historically important piece in the cold war, and it'll fit well next to an XM177 clone; but I know my cheeks won't appreciate the punishment. A side folder solves that problem nicely, but what is historically correct in 7.62x39 and side folding?

    I know nothing about AKs except to buy Soviet/Bulgarian made and stay away from Century. If necessary, I'm not above picking up a receiver and sending it out to Rifle dynamics / ARS to get it done right.

    The SLR107 fits it nicely, but is it historically correct? Any options with laminated wood / bakelite furniture? AK is just so iconic with that laminated wood.


    Note, I'm not in CA and the gun won't be coming into CA.
  • #2
    kalieracer
    Veteran Member
    • May 2008
    • 2987

    No it's not... Side folding 7.62 guns are the modern AK100 series guns. If you are looking for a correct 103 clone then the SGL21-95 is the correct through and through. The 107 is sorta of a mix of newer poly stock and AKM/milled gun with early 80's AK74 parts slapped on a commercial bulgarian receiver. If you are looking for a nice Soviet AKM with fixed wood stock or under folder. You would need to have it built, kits are around 1200 for parts with CFH barrel + 74Ullc receiver. Then you can have Mario at POFA build it for you that will be another 400-800. There are nice polish builds out there at the 1000 range but they are not correct through and through.



    Originally posted by penguin0123
    I've always been an AR/M1 guy, but I want a historically correct AK (in 7.62x39) just to round out my collection. I want stamped receiver because of cost and weight. I also want a folding stock just because. This gun will mostly be in a safe and shot occasionally for a run-n-gun match.

    AKMS is a historically important piece in the cold war, and it'll fit well next to an XM177 clone; but I know my cheeks won't appreciate the punishment. A side folder solves that problem nicely, but what is historically correct in 7.62x39 and side folding?

    I know nothing about AKs except to buy Soviet/Bulgarian made and stay away from Century. If necessary, I'm not above picking up a receiver and sending it out to Rifle dynamics / ARS to get it done right.

    The SLR107 fits it nicely, but is it historically correct? Any options with laminated wood / bakelite furniture? AK is just so iconic with that laminated wood.


    Note, I'm not in CA and the gun won't be coming into CA.
    Last edited by kalieracer; 06-06-2016, 9:40 AM.

    "Gawd, asks a qustion, gets two good answers, denies/ still doesn't get it.

    This is the kinda person that shouldn't be building things- go store bought.
    Bill Wiese"

    Comment

    • #3
      Bansh88
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 2500

      I had a very cool side folder Khyber built off a matching Izzy kit (7.62). Not a military issue but very historically correct.
      It was so cool the buddy I got it from, begged for it back.

      Comment

      • #4
        quadmx301
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2013
        • 1426

        Russian pattern AKMs will have stamped receivers, with magwell dimples, no side-mounted rail. Gas tube will be stamped without vent holes. 45 degree gas block, not a 90 degree '74 type/ 100 series modern AK. slant compensator with AKM front sight base. Your best bet is DDI. I don't think they use a side rail and I've heard good things about their build quality.

        FYI, the folder was hardly used compared to the fixed stock models. For a "period correct" issue, you may consider a fixed stock AKM vs the AKMS.

        Also, for a shooter, Century is good to go. The RAS47s are still questionable, but WASRs and C39s are awesome.
        "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle" - Gen John J. Pershing, February, 1918

        Comment

        • #5
          penguin0123
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2011
          • 3089

          Ok, maybe I'm not *that* concerned about 100% correct parts, etc. I mean, the A1 carbine I'm working on has a C7 upper and ambi safety because I'm a lefty and it is turning out to be more 723 than I intended. And I'm not using 100% Colt parts in it either.

          Is the khyber pass stock basically just a AK74 side folder slapped on a 7.62x39 gun? There are enough of them in the -stans that I consider it "correct" especially given the recent war. I'm liking that idea.

          Saw this, is this Romainian issued? How did the Polish Tantal end up on there, and how is that Tantal stock?

          Comment

          • #6
            kalieracer
            Veteran Member
            • May 2008
            • 2987

            WASR is a good decent import gun. RAS/C39 are crap.

            Originally posted by quadmx301
            Russian pattern AKMs will have stamped receivers, with magwell dimples, no side-mounted rail. Gas tube will be stamped without vent holes. 45 degree gas block, not a 90 degree '74 type/ 100 series modern AK. slant compensator with AKM front sight base. Your best bet is DDI. I don't think they use a side rail and I've heard good things about their build quality.

            FYI, the folder was hardly used compared to the fixed stock models. For a "period correct" issue, you may consider a fixed stock AKM vs the AKMS.

            Also, for a shooter, Century is good to go. The RAS47s are still questionable, but WASRs and C39s are awesome.

            "Gawd, asks a qustion, gets two good answers, denies/ still doesn't get it.

            This is the kinda person that shouldn't be building things- go store bought.
            Bill Wiese"

            Comment

            • #7
              kalieracer
              Veteran Member
              • May 2008
              • 2987

              If you don't care about correct and just want something good / fun. Get the 107 and put a metal triangle folder on. Its a great rifle. Otherwise look at the DDI Polish and do folder conversion on it. The romy below has romy folding stock. Romania, EG and Poland made stocks like that. I can tell you one thing they suck and are uncomfortable. I find the newer russian folders with the revised geometry the best out of the side folders.


              Originally posted by penguin0123
              Ok, maybe I'm not *that* concerned about 100% correct parts, etc. I mean, the A1 carbine I'm working on has a C7 upper and ambi safety because I'm a lefty and it is turning out to be more 723 than I intended. And I'm not using 100% Colt parts in it either.

              Is the khyber pass stock basically just a AK74 side folder slapped on a 7.62x39 gun? There are enough of them in the -stans that I consider it "correct" especially given the recent war. I'm liking that idea.

              Saw this, is this Romainian issued? How did the Polish Tantal end up on there, and how is that Tantal stock?
              Last edited by kalieracer; 06-06-2016, 11:29 AM.

              "Gawd, asks a qustion, gets two good answers, denies/ still doesn't get it.

              This is the kinda person that shouldn't be building things- go store bought.
              Bill Wiese"

              Comment

              • #8
                hellayella
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2012
                • 5578

                Underfolders feel wierd when shooting them...

                Comment

                • #9
                  Ak74dude
                  Member
                  • Sep 2015
                  • 250

                  I actually find underfolders really comfortable

                  Historicay speaking, a russian underfolder is about as cool as it gets. You can do a khyber and easily make the point that its historically accurate, although not from a factory. Chicom and hungarian preban uf are pretty freakin cool, but pricey.

                  My opinion is you should look at getting some kind of euro or chinese underfolder and get comfortable w it. Its really not that bad. Wrap a rubber tourniquet or paracord around the stock if need be and call it a day.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SVT-40
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 12907

                    You can make your own...Keep the wood hand guards...

                    I built the below rifle using a Romanian 7.62x39 "G" kit, and a Bulgarian side folding stock. A so called "Kyber Pass" rifle.





                    Probably the easiest way to put a very usable folding stock on a rifle with a fixed stock rear trunnion is to use a Polish Beryl side folder. No real modifications needed.

                    Plus the stock folds to the right, so you can fold the stock, and leave optical sights mounted.

                    Poke'm with a stick!


                    Originally posted by fiddletown
                    What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      quadmx301
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • 1426

                      Agreeing with SVT-40 here. Building your own is the best option for you because it seems like you know what you want. There are plenty of AK builders out there to perform the service for you if you don't want to do it yourself.
                      "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle" - Gen John J. Pershing, February, 1918

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        kalieracer
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2008
                        • 2987

                        I think that OP should just get the 107 and call it a day. Since the gun is in a free state, its a good value and a good shooter.

                        Originally posted by quadmx301
                        Agreeing with SVT-40 here. Building your own is the best option for you because it seems like you know what you want. There are plenty of AK builders out there to perform the service for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

                        "Gawd, asks a qustion, gets two good answers, denies/ still doesn't get it.

                        This is the kinda person that shouldn't be building things- go store bought.
                        Bill Wiese"

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          beanz2
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 12032

                          sigpic
                          The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SVT-40
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 12907

                            Originally posted by beanz2
                            If you can't find an original Chinese side folder 56S (above) you can make a clone (below)



                            Poke'm with a stick!


                            Originally posted by fiddletown
                            What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              dvs762
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2007
                              • 1790

                              Egyptian AKM,East German AKM and Ak74, Romanian AKM and their 5.45 version and Polish Tantals all used variations of the same right side folding stocks. Later polish use a riveted in stock but the others are all slide in and bolt on stocks. They will fit any AKM and many 74 pattern rifles where the straight stock is inserted.
                              07 FFL Farwest Photography
                              408 217 9148

                              https://farwestffl.com/

                              https://www.facebook.com/FarwestFFL/

                              https://www.instagram.com/farwest_ffl/

                              https://www.yelp.com/biz/farwest-pho...hy-santa-clara

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1