Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR Trigger Tips

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • fotoman
    Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 133

    AR Trigger Tips

    Hello guys,

    I'm interested in improving the trigger in my AR's, I don't have the fancy drop-in kind, I will buy it only as a last resort, if I'm not able to fix the ones I have. My triggers were purchased at Bushmaster and was part of a kit.

    I'm wondering if there are any tips, suggestions or any other experience you may have in reducing the pull on the standard trigger, all responses are greatly appreciated.
  • #2
    apbrian112
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2007
    • 3279

    try this: http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

    or you could pick up some JP trigger/hammer springs for cheap off of brownells.
    CRPA Lifetime Member

    Comment

    • #3
      railroader
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 3115

      I did the 15 trigger job on my rifle. It helped and I'm haven't had any light primer strikes even when I'm shooting my 22 conversion kit. Mark

      Comment

      • #4
        Jwood562
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 1271

        I have some JP trigger springs and it says to cut the hammer and polish the hammer and the sear.....

        is this necessary?

        I have heard some people dropping the springs right in with no adverse affecrts.... anyone chime in on this idea????

        Comment

        • #5
          Lon Moer
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2002
          • 653

          I love using the JP Rifles spring kits.
          I've known daredevils and I ain't got nothing against them.....its just they're all dead.

          Comment

          • #6
            FMJBT
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2007
            • 4888

            Originally posted by Jwood562
            I have some JP trigger springs and it says to cut the hammer and polish the hammer and the sear.....

            is this necessary?

            I have heard some people dropping the springs right in with no adverse affecrts.... anyone chime in on this idea????
            Polishing the hammer and sear will help smooth out the trigger pull quite a bit if done correctly. The key is to very lightly polish the engagement surfaces without going through the thin layer of surface hardened metal. The engagement surfaces should still have nice sharp edges when finished. Rounded off edges will result in inconsistent trigger pull

            With reduced spring tension, cutting off the hammer spur is IMO a good idea. Losing a little mass out there at the end of the hammer will let it regain some of the velocity it lost by reducing the spring rates. Rounding off the end of the hammer and polishing it will let the bolt carrier slide over it easier and with less wear to both parts.

            I haven't tried the JP trigger springs, but I have had excellent results so far by modifying the stock springs as per the "15 minute trigger job". I also thread in a 3/8" long 1/4-28 tpi set screw into the grip screw hole. By adjusting the depth of that screw prior to attaching the grip, you can fine tune sear engagement for a shorter trigger pull. Be sure to function test the rifle several times after adjustment to make sure everything is still operating correctly. I adjust mine until the disconnector barely releases the hammer when the trigger is released. The downside of this mod is that the safety will now typically only engage when the hammer is in the cocked position.
            U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015

            Comment

            • #7
              Forestgnome
              Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 213

              Originally posted by FMJBT
              Polishing the hammer and sear will help smooth out the trigger pull quite a bit if done correctly. [/B]
              Doing it correctly means not using polishing compound the way it's described in the link. You really need to use stones or EZ laps, so you get a straight, parallel surface. Otherwise, like stated elsewhere, you get an inconsistent trigger pull. Also by lapping, you make a convoluted surface that actually causes more contact surface that tends to negate the effort of polishing. I don't know of any experienced gunsmiths that would recommend that.
              California Redneck

              Comment

              • #8
                randy
                In Memoriam
                • Nov 2006
                • 4642

                One piece of advice if you are going to do your trigger yourself test it by yourself no need to have it go FA at a public range and draw attention.
                I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

                When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Blacktail 8541
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2006
                  • 1567

                  Send it to :http://www.triggerwork.net/

                  Very good reviews
                  BT 8541

                  sigpic


                  "You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    norcal-ar
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2008
                    • 1857

                    Originally posted by FMJBT
                    I also thread in a 3/8" long 1/4-28 tpi set screw into the grip screw hole. By adjusting the depth of that screw prior to attaching the grip, you can fine tune sear engagement for a shorter trigger pull. Be sure to function test the rifle several times after adjustment to make sure everything is still operating correctly. I adjust mine until the disconnector barely releases the hammer when the trigger is released. The downside of this mod is that the safety will now typically only engage when the hammer is in the cocked position.
                    by doing this did you have to drill through the receiver to get that set screw to poke up through into the receiver? I dont remember the grip screw hole going all the way through the receiver.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Jicko
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 8774

                      This is the best DIY trigger job. YMMV tho.

                      - LL
                      NRA Certified Firearm Instructor
                      sigpic

                      New to Calguns, check here first:
                      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        FMJBT
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2007
                        • 4888

                        Originally posted by Forestgnome
                        Doing it correctly means not using polishing compound the way it's described in the link. You really need to use stones or EZ laps, so you get a straight, parallel surface. Otherwise, like stated elsewhere, you get an inconsistent trigger pull. Also by lapping, you make a convoluted surface that actually causes more contact surface that tends to negate the effort of polishing. I don't know of any experienced gunsmiths that would recommend that.
                        The polishing compound works pretty well actually, as long as care is taken not to reshape the surfaces during polishing. The end result should not look like the "Melt" treatment on a concealed carry handgun The polishing stones are more likely to remove material than a small felt wheel with polishing compound. Without a stoning jig, you are also more likely to to end up with surfaces that are not parallel to eachother. For cheap DIY trigger work the dremel and polishing compound is probably a bit safer. An experienced gunsmith would likely have a stoning jig on hand as well, so of course they would recommend that over a dremel
                        U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          FMJBT
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2007
                          • 4888

                          Originally posted by norcal-ar
                          by doing this did you have to drill through the receiver to get that set screw to poke up through into the receiver? I dont remember the grip screw hole going all the way through the receiver.
                          The hole goes all the way through, but threading varies between manufacturers. The grip screw hole on most Mega's I've seen is tapped all the way through. Noveske, Kaiser, and Double Star are not from the examples I've seen. It's not too difficult to run a 1/4-28 tpi tap through the hole to finish it out though.
                          U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            niko454
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 68

                            +1 on FMJBT's method. Did the same thing to mine and it works beautifully. Also, i have a kaiser lower, and by running a that 1/4-28tpi tap through it was able to insert the set screw with no problems.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              fotoman
                              Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • 133

                              Thanks so much guys, I'm really grateful for all your valuable tips, I don't want to sound cheap but I just could not bring myself to cough-up $200+ for a fancy trigger, since I'm planning to upgrade (4) rifles The JM spring kit is probably the best choice and I've already went ahead and ordered (4) kits for all my black rifles. Thanks Jicko for posting the short tutorial, it looks very doable and that's what I'm planning to do.

                              The AR trigger/hammer is a very simple system with just a few parts and it is just the stuff of genius. Unfortunately since the AR is a military piece of hardware the design focused more on simplicity and reliability, nevertheless the AR remains a great invention.

                              Thank you Mr. Stoner and a Happy new year to all...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1