Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Modifying a registered "assault weapon."

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • antarius
    Banned
    • Feb 2006
    • 239

    Modifying a registered "assault weapon."

    Quick question. I've been on this board quite a while, but I've never researched making one of my registered AR-15's a short barreled rifle, because, well, I never thought about it until now.

    I have two legitimately registered AR-15's right now, both with 16" barrels. I'd like to change one to a short barrel. Can I do that?

    I understand I have to file paperwork with the BATFE and pay a $200 "tax" or whatever it is they call it; But does California law prohibit me from doing this?

    As I said, the weapon is already registered as an assault weapon in California, so do they care if I make it "more assaulty"? Haha.

    Thanks in advance.
  • #2
    SeanO
    Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 221

    No SBR for CA. (Unless you have a VERY rare permit like the movie industry). The shortest you can go is a 14.5 inch barrel w/a perm flash hider or break to make it 16" or longer.

    Comment

    • #3
      antarius
      Banned
      • Feb 2006
      • 239

      I figured something like that would come up. Thanks.

      Comment

      • #4
        ohsmily
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2005
        • 8995

        Originally posted by SeanO
        No SBR for CA. (Unless you have a VERY rare permit like the movie industry). The shortest you can go is a 14.5 inch barrel w/a perm flash hider or break to make it 16" or longer.
        Why do you think that 14.5" with a perm flash hider or brake is the shortest you can go.

        You can have ANY length barrel as long as the overall length of the barrel and any permanently attached muzzle devices is 16".
        Expert firearms attorney: https://www.rwslaw.com/team/adam-j-richards/

        Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.

        Comment

        • #5
          CHS
          Moderator Emeritus
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Jan 2008
          • 11338

          Originally posted by antarius
          I figured something like that would come up. Thanks.
          Basically, CA has some exemptions for AOW's, SBR's and SBS's as long as the SBS/SBR's are C&R guns (to be safe, make sure they are C&R by way of being more than 50 years old). AOW's can't be "pen guns".

          Since the donor gun must be more than 50YO, it's very hard to have any "interesting" SBR's like AR's and AK's (remember, most AK's are imported as parts and built on new receivers, making them a lot younger than 50YO).

          You can, however, buy a brand new AR receiver and AOW it. Then you can have a short pistol barrel and a VFG, but no stock.

          I've been tinkering with the idea of getting another Encore frame and AOW'ing it so that I can have a 6" 12ga barrel made for it. heh.
          Please read the Calguns Wiki
          Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
          --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

          Comment

          • #6
            CHS
            Moderator Emeritus
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jan 2008
            • 11338

            Originally posted by antarius
            As I said, the weapon is already registered as an assault weapon in California, so do they care if I make it "more assaulty"? Haha.

            California does not care if you make it "more assaulty" (I really love that term, BTW), but remember that SBS/SBR's are a FEDERAL issue and not (exactly) a state issue. The weapon in reference is a STATE "registered assault weapon", but just a plain ole Title 1 rifle in most any other states.
            Please read the Calguns Wiki
            Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
            --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

            Comment

            • #7
              antarius
              Banned
              • Feb 2006
              • 239

              Thanks guys. I figured California would prevent me from just dealing with the Feds like I should....

              They can't ever just leave us alone...

              Oh well, looks like I've got two standard length AR's....

              Comment

              • #8
                Big O
                Member
                • Oct 2007
                • 379

                Originally posted by antarius
                Oh well, looks like I've got two standard length AR's....
                You poor baby.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ke6guj
                  Moderator
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Nov 2003
                  • 23725

                  Originally posted by antarius
                  Thanks guys. I figured California would prevent me from just dealing with the Feds like I should....
                  There are situations that you can just deal with the Feds, and not have to involve CADOJ in it. bdsmchs already elaborated on them.
                  Last edited by ke6guj; 12-03-2008, 2:51 PM.
                  Jack



                  Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                  No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    GuyW
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 4298

                    Originally posted by bdsmchs
                    ...but remember that SBS/SBR's are a FEDERAL issue and not (exactly) a state issue.
                    NO - there are specific CA Penal Codes that control SBRs and SBSs...
                    .

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CHS
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 11338

                      Originally posted by GuyW
                      NO - there are specific CA Penal Codes that control SBRs and SBSs...

                      What part about "not (exactly) a state issue" was unclear?
                      Please read the Calguns Wiki
                      Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
                      --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        GuyW
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 4298

                        Originally posted by bdsmchs
                        What part about "not (exactly) a state issue" was unclear?
                        How about the fact SBR/SBS ARE EXACTLY and specifically state issues??

                        .

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          CHS
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 11338

                          Originally posted by GuyW
                          How about the fact SBR/SBS ARE EXACTLY and specifically state issues??
                          Not really.

                          In CA SBS's and SBR's aren't controlled at all if they are C&R's. The law specifically exempts them (and all non-pengun AOW's) and refers to FEDERAL reg's which is where they are controlled and registered. Specifically, the OP is confusing and joining the FEDERAL SBS/SBR regs with the STATE AW regs.
                          Last edited by CHS; 12-03-2008, 7:32 PM.
                          Please read the Calguns Wiki
                          Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
                          --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            aklon
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • 3189

                            Originally posted by SeanO
                            No SBR for CA. (Unless you have a VERY rare permit like the movie industry). The shortest you can go is a 14.5 inch barrel w/a perm flash hider or break to make it 16" or longer.
                            I've got a registered AR with a 16" barrel, and I want to buy a new upper, one with a longer barrel. Would this be a problem, or does this consideration only apply to going to shorter barrel length?
                            Freedom is the dream you dream while putting thought in chains.

                            - Giacomo Leopardi

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              slick_711
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 4400

                              Originally posted by aklon
                              I've got a registered AR with a 16" barrel, and I want to buy a new upper, one with a longer barrel. Would this be a problem, or does this consideration only apply to going to shorter barrel length?
                              Have at. You can reconfigure and change your rifle as much as you'd like, so long as the barrel length is at least 16" and the overall length is at least 26" (which it will be if the barrel is of legal length).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1