Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Barrel Delima

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Texas Boy
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 804

    Barrel Delima

    I've been slowly collecting parts for a new upper - VLTOR upper, Laure 9" handguard, BCM BCG, etc.

    Today I found a Wilson 16" fluted barrel at a reasonable price, but it has a carbine gas system and standard feed ramps. The VLTOR upper has M4 ramp cuts, so I will require M4 ramps on my barrel.

    Is it possible/practical to cut M4 ramps into this barrel? Would it be easier to just change the barrel extension? BTW - I have done a reasonable amount of machining work in the past and wouldn't be too afraid to attempt this myself (my guess is some very careful file work would do the trick).

    The other option is to just wait until all this craziness stops and I can actual purchase a 16" barrel with a mid length gas system and M4 ramps. I've been looking since way before the election with no joy....Oh well, I do have another upper to shoot while I wait.

    Thoughts, suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Mark
    ...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
  • #2
    heycorey
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 825

    The only time feed ramps really come into play is with full-auto; which I'm assuming isn't an available option here. You can use the barrel as is.

    Comment

    • #3
      ke6guj
      Moderator
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Nov 2003
      • 23725

      Originally posted by heycorey
      You can use the barrel as is.
      But won't the fact that the upper has M4 feed ramp cuts and the barrel doesn't cause there to be a nice "wall" in the feed ramp that would bugger up the front of the bullets.

      I've heard that;
      M4 upper and M4 barrel, OK
      Std upper and Std barrel, OK
      Std upper and M4 barrel, Not perfect but won't normally affect anything.
      M4 upper and Std barrel, step in the ramp, Not OK.

      edit:
      pic of the problem. stealing some of Randall's bandwidth, but hey, PM him and he can probably fix you up/

      Last edited by ke6guj; 12-02-2008, 9:18 PM.
      Jack



      Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

      No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

      Comment

      • #4
        Texas Boy
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2008
        • 804

        If the upper was cut for M4 feed ramps and the barrel was not you have a small pocket/lip between the upper and the barrel which can snag a bullet - no good. I agree that M4 ramps don't matter much for semi auto shooting, but you do have to watch the combination of upper and barrel:

        standard barrel and standard upper - Good
        M4 barrel and M4 upper - Good
        M4 barrel and standard upper - OK
        standard barrel and M4 upper - BAD.

        [edit: looks like Jack beat me to the reply]
        ...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

        Comment

        • #5
          heycorey
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2007
          • 825

          Gotcha ... I think you should be able to file some reliefs in the extension sufficient to alleviate the problem.

          Comment

          • #6
            aplinker
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2007
            • 16762

            You can have the feed ramps fixed (but the $ might push the barrel cost to not making sense), but you can't fix the carbine gas issue.

            Have you thought about this:

            Google Map of OLL Dealers

            List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
            Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
            This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

            Comment

            • #7
              Texas Boy
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 804

              Interesting option....I wonder who makes the barrel? It says GTS/Denny's Guns - but I'm sure someone else makes them.

              Any idea if this is a quality barrel?

              The Wilson barrel I have is very nice, fluted, pinned FSB (which I can cut down to make a pinned low profile gas block), but it is carbine length and no M4 ramps. As you point out, I can fix the M4 ramps, but not the gas length.
              ...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

              Comment

              • #8
                aplinker
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Feb 2007
                • 16762

                Originally posted by Texas Boy
                Interesting option....I wonder who makes the barrel? It says GTS/Denny's Guns - but I'm sure someone else makes them.

                Any idea if this is a quality barrel?

                The Wilson barrel I have is very nice, fluted, pinned FSB (which I can cut down to make a pinned low profile gas block), but it is carbine length and no M4 ramps. As you point out, I can fix the M4 ramps, but not the gas length.
                Keep in mind the barrel comes with a bolt ($50-60 value).

                Ask Randall what he thinks. Denny's stuff has a good reputation. I'm sure he's handled some of them.

                It's a good design and a good value - in stock - is why I suggested it.

                Google Map of OLL Dealers

                List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
                Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
                This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57182

                  Originally posted by Texas Boy
                  Interesting option....I wonder who makes the barrel? It says GTS/Denny's Guns - but I'm sure someone else makes them.
                  Denny has the barrels made for him.
                  Rock button rifled blanks.
                  I think they are profiled/chambered by Compass Lake.
                  Good barrels.

                  Get rid of that carbine barrel.

                  I have a 16" mid-length 1:7 twist chrome lined 5.56 chamber barrel on the shelf as well.
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    gemini1
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 2230

                    Are there 16" mid length gas system in 1:9 twist lightweight barrels? Most I see are heavy barrels.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      aplinker
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 16762

                      Originally posted by gemini1
                      Are there 16" mid length gas system in 1:9 twist lightweight barrels? Most I see are heavy barrels.

                      Google Map of OLL Dealers

                      List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
                      Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
                      This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Texas Boy
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 804

                        Thanks Randall. I sent you an email about the barrel you have on the shelf...

                        -Mark
                        ...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57182

                          Originally posted by Texas Boy
                          Thanks Randall. I sent you an email about the barrel you have on the shelf...

                          -Mark
                          Email is a black hole.
                          Send a PM.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Texas Boy
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 804

                            Thanks everyone. I wound up getting rid of the carbine barrel and ordering a 16" mid length w/ M4 ramps from Randall.

                            Cheers,
                            Mark
                            ...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1