Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

problem assembling ar lower-SOLVED

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DoctorLove
    Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 328

    problem assembling ar lower-SOLVED

    Trying to install a pistol grip, and the pistol grip screw hits a stop before the pistol grip is tight (maybe 1/8" left to go). I looked into the lower and see that the threads don't run the entire length of the hole to the other side (fire control pocket). Instead it stops maybe 1/4" short of the end of the "tunnel" and that's where my screw is stopping. So my question is this- Is my pistol grip screw (PSA, threaded portion measures 1") too long, or should the pistol grip screw hole be tapped all the way down the hole on my lower (anderson mfg.)

    EDIT: Bought a shorter screw, pistol grip locked in. Thanks to everyone who responded
    Last edited by DoctorLove; 08-11-2015, 7:22 PM.
  • #2
    Cadre
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 3310

    Washer.
    Originally posted by Kwikvette
    OPeR4t3Rz w3aR dem h4tz br4h!
    Originally posted by ddindetroit
    I think you mean ProStaff on your ad and not Prostate- the male secretary organ that causes urinary obstruction in old age and make chymotrypsin to lyse seminal clots.

    These are nice scopes - ProStaff that is; not the Prostate.

    DD

    Comment

    • #3
      DoctorLove
      Member
      • Aug 2013
      • 328

      washer is in place. still an 1/8" gap

      Comment

      • #4
        Niviticus
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2009
        • 1227

        Is it an Anderson lower from turners sale? Some of those didn't have the hole threaded all the way through. Either get a shorter screw, cut the screw or use washers.

        Comment

        • #5
          Cadre
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2012
          • 3310

          Originally posted by DoctorLove
          washer is in place. still an 1/8" gap
          Use a thicker one or cut screw
          Originally posted by Kwikvette
          OPeR4t3Rz w3aR dem h4tz br4h!
          Originally posted by ddindetroit
          I think you mean ProStaff on your ad and not Prostate- the male secretary organ that causes urinary obstruction in old age and make chymotrypsin to lyse seminal clots.

          These are nice scopes - ProStaff that is; not the Prostate.

          DD

          Comment

          • #6
            DoctorLove
            Member
            • Aug 2013
            • 328

            I know those are options but I'm asking someone to check on their AR to confirm either that my screw is longer than usual or that the grip screw hole is supposed to be tapped all the way through. Just want to know whats what

            Comment

            • #7
              tujungatoes
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2006
              • 7942

              I don't think there's a spec for that. Probably just tolerances between manufacturers. If it were me(and it's not) I'd grab a tap and finish threading it all the way out.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Dr. Elky
              If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
              Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
              I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.

              Comment

              • #8
                atwomoto
                Junior Member
                • Aug 2015
                • 1

                Yes the screw is about an inch long. you can just finish the threads with a tap if you feel confident in your ability to do so.I will warn you that if the screw goes past the inside of the threads, you may have interference problems the the safety selector and the rear of the trigger. If for what ever reason you got a flawed grip that is to short on the inside thats another problem. is the grip a stock unit? If so try an aftermarket grip, there are a ton to chose from. i personally like the Ergo Grips they have a great feel and are not to hard on the wallet. good luck

                Comment

                • #9
                  tanakasan
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 1638

                  Tap the receiver deeper or use a shorter screw/cut your screw down. Watch for 1/4-20 coarse thread vs 1/4-28 fine thread. I have seen both in lowers.

                  Robert
                  WTB/WTT

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Junkie
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2007
                    • 4849

                    Most are tapped all the way through but some aren't.

                    I've never seen 1/4-20 in a receiver but I haven't looked at all that many.
                    Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                    A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Clipper
                      Junior Member
                      • May 2013
                      • 56

                      I have seen the threads stop short and i have seem them go all the way through. I think i would just head to the hardware store and get a shorter screw, that's easier than tapping deeper.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        SMarquez
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 2216

                        3/4" long 1/4-28 screw and be done with it.
                        This has come up before. I don't get that someone can take on building a lower, run into this and then come running to CG to discuss. It has even been a several page rant on QC and Anderson vs. high end names and so on.
                        Take the screw with you to Lowe'sHomeDepotAceDoitCenter and look for the next shortest screw. It will be quicker than posting and reading the follow up responses.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          19K
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2013
                          • 3621

                          Just use a thicker washer. I've done it and it works fine.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Click Boom
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Nov 2013
                            • 6955

                            Originally posted by DoctorLove
                            I know those are options but I'm asking someone to check on their AR to confirm either that my screw is longer than usual or that the grip screw hole is supposed to be tapped all the way through. Just want to know whats what
                            Spare Aero Precision Lower Here - Pistol Grip screw hole goes all the way thru.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              DoctorLove
                              Member
                              • Aug 2013
                              • 328

                              Bought a shorter screw. Thanks for all your responses. Learned something new today

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1