Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Featureless AR Build

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • vospertw
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 791

    Featureless AR Build

    i was thinking of modifying an existing AR to featureless to use as a HD gun, but decided it makes a good excuse to build one instead. I am not a noob to AR's but other than replacing triggers, I haven't done a lot of work with them. Question for you guys is whether or not it's going to be worthwhile to build the upper or buy one? Looking at it from the standpoint of tools, risk of improper installation, etc. I have experience working with motorcycles so not completely lacking in skill with tools but trying to weigh the pros and cons for this first build. Thanks in advance.
    Jesus Saves!
  • #2
    Merc1138
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19742

    Do you have the tools(vice, appropriate vice block, barrel nut wrench, etc.) then yes, build your own.

    If you don't, and do not plan on doing it on a regular basis, then get something off the shelf.

    If you cannot find an assembled upper that is the exact configuration you want, then build it yourself or pay someone competent to assemble it for you.

    Comment

    • #3
      Cummins_Powered
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2011
      • 548

      Buy the tools and build it yourself. Its not had at all
      Now we know!

      Comment

      • #4
        toddh
        Banned
        • Dec 2010
        • 1914

        Originally posted by vospertw
        i was thinking of modifying an existing AR to featureless to use as a HD gun, but decided it makes a good excuse to build one instead. I am not a noob to AR's but other than replacing triggers, I haven't done a lot of work with them. Question for you guys is whether or not it's going to be worthwhile to build the upper or buy one? Looking at it from the standpoint of tools, risk of improper installation, etc. I have experience working with motorcycles so not completely lacking in skill with tools but trying to weigh the pros and cons for this first build. Thanks in advance.
        Do you have specialized tools for working on motorcycles ??
        The the same thing applies guns.

        Did you have to learn to work on a motorcycle ??
        The same thing applies to guns.


        Look, this ain't rocket science or brain surgery.
        Either buy the tools, learn and build.
        Or continue to buy completed uppers.

        That is the only thing YOU need to decide on.


        .

        Comment

        • #5
          vospertw
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2012
          • 791

          toddh - I hear you. I guess my question should have been "is it easy to screw up something important, and if so, will it hurt?" With motorcycles, you could certainly screw up something important (timing, valve clearance, etc.) but chances are you would find out shortly after hitting the starter... And usually only your wallet hurts.
          Jesus Saves!

          Comment

          • #6
            bohoki
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 20826

            it seems the most comfortable featureless for the price is a exile machine hammerhead grip module and a during ban fixed telestock like the one from bushmaster that uses a rifle buffer

            Comment

            • #7
              NorCalFocus
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2013
              • 3913

              Featureless AR Build

              To build an upper you don't need a lot of special tools. Do some research and you'll see many handguards that come with a barrel nut, also come with a wrench or can use a standard crows foot with a torque wrench.

              You will need a vise, vise blocks, and roll pin punches. All stuff that any AR owner should have. I all, maybe $50 worth of tools.

              I have built my first, my sons, and helped my pops with his. Buying a complete upper never crossed my mind. I helped another local Calgunner put his upper together as well. I say buy every little part you want and build it yourself.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • #8
                Merc1138
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Feb 2009
                • 19742

                Originally posted by vospertw
                toddh - I hear you. I guess my question should have been "is it easy to screw up something important, and if so, will it hurt?" With motorcycles, you could certainly screw up something important (timing, valve clearance, etc.) but chances are you would find out shortly after hitting the starter... And usually only your wallet hurts.
                Yes, but there are gradeschool science fair projects that are more complicated than putting together an upper. With the amount of tutorials available online via text and video, you can see what you're getting yourself into(and the videos should be at most about 10 minutes long). Aside from lining up and properly installing the gas tube and gas block, the barrel is already headspaced since you shouldn't be installing the barrel extension under normal circumstances. Depending on where you get your barrel and bolt from, the vendor may double check it for you, but it wouldn't hurt to be certain.

                Comment

                • #9
                  stag6.8
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • 1335

                  Originally posted by vospertw
                  i was thinking of modifying an existing AR to featureless to use as a HD gun, but decided it makes a good excuse to build one instead. I am not a noob to AR's but other than replacing triggers, I haven't done a lot of work with them. Question for you guys is whether or not it's going to be worthwhile to build the upper or buy one? Looking at it from the standpoint of tools, risk of improper installation, etc. I have experience working with motorcycles so not completely lacking in skill with tools but trying to weigh the pros and cons for this first build. Thanks in advance.
                  You are better off buying a complete upper...considering there's a large stock of uppers, BCG's, and charging handles on the market right now...and very good quality ones for a reasonable price...the only thing you'll need is the lower..if you don't have it already. As in a featureless rifle...I highly recommend the the Thordsen frs-15 system..so you can wrap your thumb around the stock...better control..and go by the cal guns legal ar-15 flowchart.
                  Last edited by stag6.8; 05-25-2015, 5:44 PM.
                  Walked in application: May 10th 2021
                  Date of interview: Oct 7th 2021
                  Live scan: Oct 7th 2021.
                  Email from L.A.S.D. to proceed with training: Feb 3rd, 2022.
                  Training Completed: Feb 5th 2022
                  Emailed training paperwork to L.A.S.D.: Feb 7th 2022
                  L.A.S.D. responded back stating that they received paperwork: Feb 8th 2022
                  Call for pickup: Feb, 22nd 2022-pick up permit Feb 23 2022
                  Good Cause Color: Yellow
                  Active Utah, Arizona and Florida Non-Resident CCW Permits.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    vospertw
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 791

                    Thanks all. Here's my plan - since I have to work with a fixed stock I am going to find one with the correct LOP. That will give me one part of the overall length calculations to stay out of trouble with CA. Next, I'll figure out the barrel configuration and start filling in the rest. Since I'm not sure how many I will build in the near future, once I know what I'm looking for in upper components, I'll see if anyone has something as a complete unit. If not, I'll plan to put the upper together per my desires.

                    Thanks for the help!
                    Jesus Saves!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      StevieC
                      Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 278

                      Originally posted by stag6.8
                      You are better off buying a complete upper...considering there's a large stock of uppers, BCG's, and charging handles on the market right now...and very good quality ones for a reasonable price...the only thing you'll need is the lower..if you don't have it already. As in a featureless rifle...I highly recommend the the Thordsen frs-15 system..so you can wrap your thumb around the stock...better control..and go by the cal guns legal ar-15 flowchart.
                      Have they decided that the Thordsen frs-15 is absolutely legal in CA?
                      The letter from the CDJ seems to state you are on your own if you use one
                      I want one for 3 gun, I wonder if they let you use it

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1