Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker Stock

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • easyPZ
    Member
    • Nov 2010
    • 156

    Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker Stock



    This won't be a full review on the referenced rifle. I wanted to share some of my experience with my Browning X-bolt Stainless Stalker to see if others have had similar experiences and/or to inform others who may be considering this rifle in the future.

    First off, let me say that even though I don't have much experience with many other centerfire hunting rifles, I like this rifle very much. For the past two deer seasons, it has been everything I want in a hunting rifle, and a bit more (for better or worse).

    I purchased this rifle because it is light weight, ergonomic, accurate, and designed to tolerate harsh weather and terrain. I wanted a rifle that could endure normal field use so I don't have to worry about scratches or dents to a pretty gun. In other words, function over form. Nothing looks better to me than high polished blue steel on a fancy grade wooden stock. However, the X-Bolt Stainless Stalker is still quite stylish with the stainless over black and I wouldn't mind putting "battle scars" on it.

    Back on topic. The stock has a Dura-Touch Armor Coating. To me it feels like a rubber coating. Despite what Browning calls it, I wouldn't consider it to be armor. The stock still scratches easily when I moved through the brush. I don't care about the cosmetic damage, I just want to inform you that the armor coating doesn't really offer much protection against that kind of thing.

    The coating is marketed for all weather conditions, however, something notable occurs in colder late season conditions. I notice during my hunts that areas of the rubber coating turn white/grey in cold weather (snow/hail conditions). Moisture probably is a major contributing factor for this. In this white/greyish state, the coating feels almost gummy. Has anybody else also experienced this phenomenon? The rifle still works, it's just weird. Maybe Browning should add that as an added feature to the rifle.
    Last edited by easyPZ; 12-10-2014, 5:14 PM.
  • #2
    WyattandDoc
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 767

    Can't answer any of your questions, but I have a couple for you, as I'm strongly considering buying an X-Bolt (Medallion or Gold). How's the action, trigger and accuracy?
    Knives don't stab people, cars don't drive drunk, eating utensils don't make you fat and pencils don't mis-spell words.

    Comment

    Working...
    UA-8071174-1