Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Is this preferred for a wood stock?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bushwack44
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Oct 2013
    • 2042

    Is this preferred for a wood stock?

    Had the chance to briefly handle (not fire) a Remington 700 but I don't recall if it had a Monte Carlo stock. I was just about to place my order on-line when the question came up whether or not to buy with/without a Monte Carlo stock.

    Being my first rifle, I'm a little skiddish (or maybe over-thinking) the purchase. How important is it to have a Monte Carlo stock? 99% of its use will be with a bipod (whether at a range or in about 3 years, hunting). Thanks.
    .
    Facts are to liberals as kryptonite is to Superman.
    ...

    Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
    Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).
  • #2
    JTROKS
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2007
    • 13093

    I used to think Monte Carlo stock with the raised cheek pad will make me shoot better, in a way it does for it helps with cheek weld with a the proper height scope set up. If you want a classy looking rifle go for it. For me wood stocks are great with a nice hunting rifle but for practical reason of not worrying of a warped wood stock affecting accuracy I prefer synthetic stocks with aluminum pillars or bedding block.
    The wise man said just find your place
    In the eye of the storm
    Seek the roses along the way
    Just beware of the thorns...
    K. Meine

    Comment

    • #3
      toby
      Banned
      • Jan 2010
      • 10576

      It's a personal preference deal but I like the way a Monte Carlo fits over a none, I actually like a high comb on my rifles.

      Comment

      • #4
        JohnCCW
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 1307

        If if does not have any iron sights, then I would always get a Monte Carlo stock.
        Optional if you get iron sights and/or removable scope.
        sigpicDon't ask how many guns I own, I lost count.
        Rick Perry, Ted Cruz Trump for President 2016, because Hillary is NOT an option.

        Comment

        • #5
          Fjold
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Oct 2005
          • 23062

          The Monte Carlo stocks were made at the time of the transition of rifles from open sights to scopes. All it does is raise the topline of the stocks that were made with a lot off drop in the heel, to get the eye lined up with scopes.

          Most modern wooden stocks are made with less drop at the heel so a Monte Carlo hump isn't necessary.

          Very few of my rifles have a Monte Carlo hump and it's only the older rifle made in the 70s and a European made rifle that have them .
          Last edited by Fjold; 11-28-2014, 8:19 PM.
          Frank

          One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




          Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

          Comment

          • #6
            ghibinjis
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2014
            • 2

            It's a personal preference deal but I like the way a Monte Carlo fits over a none, I actually like a high comb on my rifles.

            Comment

            • #7
              Cowboy T
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2010
              • 5725

              With the proliferation of 50mm objective lenses, a Monte Carlo hump on today's lower-heel-drop Classic style would be a nice addition. I stuck one of those half-inch foam cheek-pieces on my synthetic Classic stock (the rifle wears a 3-9x50 Redfield Revolution--got it on a really good sale). Getting a good cheek weld wasn't hard before, but it's super-easy now.
              "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
              F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
              http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
              http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
              http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
              ----------------------------------------------------
              To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1