Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

NESIKA RIFLES

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • AceGirlsHusband
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 2651

    NESIKA RIFLES

    Anyone out there own one of these rifles? I am considering making the investment and purchasing one in the very near future. From what I've read in reviews and what I've seen on their website, I get the feeling this is a very well made, solid, and supremely accurate long gun. Any owners who would like to reply and give me their opinions and personal reviews here - well, it would be very much appreciated.
  • #2
    AceGirlsHusband
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 2651

    I guess not! Moderator, close this thread!!!

    Comment

    • #3
      vliberatore
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Dec 2011
      • 10055

      $4,500 for a rifle made by a company I've never heard of? Hard pass.
      Originally posted by fighterpilot562
      Damn it man! We could have got drunk, called a taxi and drop by Kest house with a mega phone.

      Comment

      • #4
        Thorax
        Banned
        • Apr 2010
        • 915

        Nesika has been around for quite some time.
        Most any rifle with a custom action will be in the same ballpark money wise.

        I've toyed with exactly 1 Nesika action in my day, it seemed the equal of a Surgeon or a Pierce action.
        No idea how their complete rifles stack up but with the level of machining I saw on the action it should be pretty solid.

        Comment

        • #5
          Switchbarrel
          Member
          • Jun 2009
          • 483

          Nesika Bay actions

          Originally posted by Thorax
          Nesika has been around for quite some time.

          No idea how their complete rifles stack up but with the level of machining I saw on the action it should be pretty solid.
          I don't have any Nesika Bay built rifles but, I do have two rifles built on Paulsbo, WA made Nesika actions. This was prior to their being purchased by Dakota Arms and moving to So. Dakota. A model L and LT, both 1.47" diameter. Both are on par with any other custom action out there. Yes, I have other custom actions to compare them against.

          Some seem to think the Dakota made actions aren't as nice. I haven't touched one so no comment there.

          Originally posted by vliberatore
          $4,500 for a rifle made by a company I've never heard of? Hard pass.
          Where you been man, they've been around since probably the mid 90's I'm guessing. I bought my first one in 2001 over other custom actions because they offered the "Borden bumps" which reportedly improved the bolt lockup. The model J action is/was very popular in short range benchrest.

          You may have heard of Glen Harrison, currently of Defiance Machine and Phoenix Machine. He started Nesika Bay (along with a partner) prior to these two companies.


          OP- Which model were you thinking of (sporter, long-range or tactical)?
          Depending upon model & components, you could probably spec. out a rifle yourself (to be put together by an independent gunsmith) and be money ahead or at least have a nicer stock. What they're using do not appear to be anything fancy.
          Unbiased AR15, Barnard (sold ), BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.

          Comment

          • #6
            vliberatore
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Dec 2011
            • 10055

            Originally posted by Switchbarrel



            Where you been man, they've been around since probably the mid 90's I'm guessing. I bought my first one in 2001 over other custom actions because they offered the "Borden bumps" which reportedly improved the bolt lockup. The model J action is/was very popular in short range benchrest.

            You may have heard of Glen Harrison, currently of Defiance Machine and Phoenix Machine. He started Nesika Bay (along with a partner) prior to these two companies.
            Under a rock apparently.
            Originally posted by fighterpilot562
            Damn it man! We could have got drunk, called a taxi and drop by Kest house with a mega phone.

            Comment

            • #7
              Army
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 3915

              Nesika actions are coveted like little steel gods, in the prairie dog states. Hard core varmint shooters swear by their accuracy and strength. Nobody shoots more ammo in crappier conditions year 'round, than varmint hunters.
              "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero

              Comment

              • #8
                AceGirlsHusband
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 2651

                Originally posted by Switchbarrel
                OP- Which model were you thinking of (sporter, long-range or tactical)?
                Depending upon model & components, you could probably spec. out a rifle yourself (to be put together by an independent gunsmith) and be money ahead or at least have a nicer stock. What they're using do not appear to be anything fancy.
                Long range, with a barrel chambered 6.5x284. Yes, and that stock has been one of my concerns. I'd prefer good wood with pillar bedding, but that drives the cost again.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Thorax
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 915

                  Originally posted by AceGirlsHusband
                  Long range, with a barrel chambered 6.5x284. Yes, and that stock has been one of my concerns. I'd prefer good wood with pillar bedding, but that drives the cost again.


                  If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and doing a little finish work you can get a exhibition grade stock for pretty dang reasonable.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Switchbarrel
                    Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 483

                    Custom

                    It wouldn't be hard to end up with a really nice rifle for the same or less money.
                    (That LR rifle was $4k IIRC).

                    Figure $12-1300 for an action & trigger guard (there are cheaper customs too)
                    Rail $100, trigger $200, $800-1200 for stock depending upon wood choice and stock maker. ~$550 for barrel & install. = *****in' custom.

                    Many stock makers out there. Look at Joel Russo rifle stocks & X-ring rifle stocks (newer company, pricing seems good).

                    This is but one example, add in some $$$ for various shipping & DROS fees. I could spend more or less of your money as needed 😉

                    -Rick
                    Unbiased AR15, Barnard (sold ), BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      lanengons
                      Junior Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • 2

                      No idea how their complete rifles stack up but with the level of machining I saw on the action it should be pretty solid.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        toby
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 10576

                        Joel Russo and Curtis? are now making custom high end actions though not yet available I'm sure they are going to be super nice.
                        Last edited by toby; 12-02-2014, 5:54 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Coyotegunner
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 1353

                          Nesika
                          I believe it was NRA American Hunter magazine did a test on a semi production Nesika they were going to turn out for around $3K.It was a couple years ago so not sure on the price.
                          I use a gunsmith sometimes up in Idaho that built customs on the Nesika and Kelby actions.
                          You better have $3800-$4500 for what he did.
                          Seems the last Kelby action I got was $2K alone.
                          Correction,It came with the barrel.Thanks

                          Op get on a Predator forum,Benchrest forum.
                          Those guys will school you.

                          Either Kelby or Nesika are nice.There is a third,but my old mine is not bringing it up.The 3 are the holy grails.
                          Not snubbing anyone on here that builds customs.Just do not know your work.
                          Last edited by Coyotegunner; 12-06-2014, 6:42 AM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Switchbarrel
                            Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 483

                            Originally posted by Coyotegunner
                            Nesika

                            I use a gunsmith sometimes up in Idaho that built customs on the Nesika and Kelby actions.

                            You better have $3800-$4500 for what he did.
                            Seems the last Kelby action I got was $2K alone.

                            Either Kelby or Nesika are nice.There is a third,but my old mine is not bringing it up.The 3 are the holy grails.
                            Not snubbing anyone on here that builds customs.Just do not know your work.
                            You might want to double check that receipt. Unless you had some custom work done or ordered a second bolt, the most expensive action on their website is $1400 (most are in the $1150-1350 range).



                            Lots of excellent custom actions out there. You may be thinking of Barnard, BAT, Big Horn, Borden, Defiance, Farley, Hall, Lawton, Pierce, RPA, Shilen, Stiller, Surgeon just to name a few off the top of my head. Some are geared more towards one discipline over another.

                            Good shooting,
                            -Rick
                            Unbiased AR15, Barnard (sold ), BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              LynnJr
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 7958

                              Op get on a Predator forum,Benchrest forum.
                              Those guys will school you.


                              I think the poster Switchbarrel is the NBRSA 2014 1000 Yard National Champion.

                              His advice is very good.
                              Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                              Southwest Regional Director
                              Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                              www.unlimitedrange.org
                              Not a commercial business.
                              URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1