Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

6mm dominating PRS...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bsumoba
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 4217

    6mm dominating PRS...

    So I just read the precision rifle blog and the 6mm cartridge is dominating the circuit, specifically the 6mm creedmoor.

    I have to assume its dominating because of the relatively high BC bullets and moving at around 3100 fps versus say the 260rem, 6.5creedmoor, and 6.5x47 lapua which are running around 2800-2850fps and also have BC bullets.

    With the majority of the shots under 1K, it makes sense why these little cartridges are working well.

    i dont plan on switching anytime soon, but its worth looking at if i decided to do another build.

    thoughts?
    Visit- www.barrelcool.com
    The Original Chamber Flag and Barrel Cooler in 1
    Instagram: barrelcool_

  • #2
    russ69
    Calguns Addict
    • Nov 2009
    • 9348

    Originally posted by bsumoba
    ...I have to assume its dominating because...
    Less recoil=more accurate
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      ar15barrels
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2006
      • 57181

      I shoot a 243 for this exact reason.
      Randall Rausch

      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

      Comment

      • #4
        CobraRed
        Senior Member
        • May 2012
        • 1018

        Seems like 6XC, 6 Dasher and 6 Creedmoor have been popular on the firing lanes for awhile now, displaced a lot of the 6.5mm crowd.

        Comment

        • #5
          ElvenSoul
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Apr 2008
          • 17431

          The 6.5 is losing out to the .284 in the longer ranges as well.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            CobraRed
            Senior Member
            • May 2012
            • 1018

            Originally posted by ElvenSoul
            The 6.5 is losing out to the .284 in the longer ranges as well.
            Agreed, although the 7mm variants became popular around the time the 6.5's did, so it's not a new development - and 284 Shehane is getting some well deserved attention now.

            The 6.5 SAUM is battling back for 6.5 glory too.

            I like my 6.5 up to and past 1250y so far, but if I wanted to stretch legs past 1400y I'd likely migrate to 7's - I just like to avoid magnums and turning necks so my options become limited compared to 6.5's.

            Comment

            • #7
              bsumoba
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2012
              • 4217

              Originally posted by CobraRed
              Agreed, although the 7mm variants became popular around the time the 6.5's did, so it's not a new development - and 284 Shehane is getting some well deserved attention now.

              The 6.5 SAUM is battling back for 6.5 glory too.

              I like my 6.5 up to and past 1250y so far, but if I wanted to stretch legs past 1400y I'd likely migrate to 7's - I just like to avoid magnums and turning necks so my options become limited compared to 6.5's.
              I am going to be shooting a 284 Shehane for my f-class rig. its a no neck turn reamer, but i still clean the necks up a bit for consistency. I would call this my out to 1600 yard cartridge. My 338 edge will be my ELR cartridge.

              I have a 6.5 creedmoor rifle that I shoot out to 1200 yards (longest so far) and it does fine, but it does get kicked around a bit. It also serves as my tac rifle.

              The 6mm intrigues me because its proving itself in the prs circuit and its moving at 3K fps, which is damn fast for a 105-115gr bullet. barrel life seems to be decent and with less recoil, follow up shots is easier, especially when seconds count and no one is there to call a miss and give you a correction. splash is the only thing you have to go on in those situations and a 6mm bullet would be ideal for that.
              Visit- www.barrelcool.com
              The Original Chamber Flag and Barrel Cooler in 1
              Instagram: barrelcool_

              Comment

              • #8
                CobraRed
                Senior Member
                • May 2012
                • 1018

                Originally posted by bsumoba
                I am going to be shooting a 284 Shehane for my f-class rig. its a no neck turn reamer, but i still clean the necks up a bit for consistency. I would call this my out to 1600 yard cartridge. My 338 edge will be my ELR cartridge.

                I have a 6.5 creedmoor rifle that I shoot out to 1200 yards (longest so far) and it does fine, but it does get kicked around a bit. It also serves as my tac rifle.

                The 6mm intrigues me because its proving itself in the prs circuit and its moving at 3K fps, which is damn fast for a 105-115gr bullet. barrel life seems to be decent and with less recoil, follow up shots is easier, especially when seconds count and no one is there to call a miss and give you a correction. splash is the only thing you have to go on in those situations and a 6mm bullet would be ideal for that.
                I'm getting 3k+ fps in my 6.5 Swede rig (9.5 mils to 1230 or so yards at around 2800 feet. ) and just finished a Swede Ackley that I'm going to be looking for 3100+.

                I'd like to say these results arent typical because you dont see much of it, but there was a 20 page thread on SnipersHide with dozens of guys with modern made rigs in the 2900-3050 range before ackley improving.

                Last edited by CobraRed; 11-23-2014, 8:42 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bsumoba
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 4217

                  Originally posted by CobraRed
                  I'm getting 3k+ fps in my 6.5 Swede rig (9.5 mils to 1230 or so yards at around 2800 feet. ) and just finished a Swede Ackley that I'm going to be looking for 3100+.

                  I'd like to say these results arent typical because you dont see much of it, but there was a 20 page thread on SnipersHide with dozens of guys with modern made rigs in the 2900-3050 range before ackley improving.
                  what barrel life are you expecting out of that? That sounds like 6.5 SAUM territory
                  Last edited by bsumoba; 11-23-2014, 8:43 PM.
                  Visit- www.barrelcool.com
                  The Original Chamber Flag and Barrel Cooler in 1
                  Instagram: barrelcool_

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ElvenSoul
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 17431

                    The Euros can push 6.5x55 160gr bulletts in the 2800's. I mean there is a reason it has been around for so long. For someone wanting a one rifle does it all it really can't be beat.
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CobraRed
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2012
                      • 1018

                      Originally posted by bsumoba
                      what barrel life are you expecting out of that? That sounds like 6.5 SAUM territory
                      6.5 SAUM allegedly is going to have the barrel wear on its side because it's a cartridge capable of 3300+ and people run it at 3050-3100 where as i'm running a cartridge at its max.

                      Results have varied from the SH thread (one guy was at 2400 and no complaints). I'm expecting 1600-1900 rounds our of my cromoly rig. I'm at 520 and the throat hasnt left its squish yet.

                      Not great, but neither are 6mm barrel lives.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ElvenSoul
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Apr 2008
                        • 17431

                        So 1600yds for .284 Sheshane

                        My .284Win gets out to 1500yds and I built it more for hunting than pure target.

                        Fireforming brass is a real pain for another 100yds.

                        What speed are you Sheshane guys seeing?
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          vliberatore
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Dec 2011
                          • 10055

                          Originally posted by ar15barrels
                          I shoot a 243 for this exact reason.
                          Any reason for .243 over 6mm CM?
                          Originally posted by fighterpilot562
                          Damn it man! We could have got drunk, called a taxi and drop by Kest house with a mega phone.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bsumoba
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • 4217

                            Originally posted by ElvenSoul
                            So 1600yds for .284 Sheshane

                            My .284Win gets out to 1500yds and I built it more for hunting than pure target.

                            Fireforming brass is a real pain for another 100yds.

                            What speed are you Sheshane guys seeing?
                            lots of guys would argue that the straight 284 is plenty good enough and lots of f-class guys shoot the straight 284. the reason i went with the shehane is that you can run the same velocities as the 284win (2800-2850fps) but at lower pressures and higher brass/barrel life but if you want to run it at 2900-2950fps (2950-3000+fps with RE-17), then you can. I plan on running my velocities around 2900-2910 fps with a 30" barrel and H4831SC. I also have a fireform load that is shooting sub 3/8" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. fireforming IMO is not a problem with this cartridge and many 284shehane shooters will tell you that they can find a very accurate fireform load, myself included. you are only blowing out the taper 0.010" so its not a crazy fireform..again another reason why some people would argue against the 284 shehane. IMO, I think the juice is worth the squeeze, especially when whidden now makes the 284 shehane as a standard die in their reoading die lineup.

                            The reason I say 1600 yards is that is where it is theoretically supersonic still. obviosuly, you can take it out further and i would probably have no problem going a mile...but i am already into the 338 edge so i capped it there and anything past that would be 338 edge territory.
                            Visit- www.barrelcool.com
                            The Original Chamber Flag and Barrel Cooler in 1
                            Instagram: barrelcool_

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ElvenSoul
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 17431

                              I could see .243 over 6cm just on cost of brass.

                              However if 6cm continues to gain popularity. The issue of brass will be history.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1