Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Can I replace the bolt on my Remington 700?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rangem4
    Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 407

    Can I replace the bolt on my Remington 700?

    I have a mid 70's stock Remington 700 ADL in .222.
    If I bought a bolt does it need to be fitted by a gunsmith?
    Can I replace parts to my bolt?
    The handle has a bit of rust and the finish is showing wear. The rest of the rifle is spot on perfect.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Rangem4; 10-14-2014, 12:22 PM. Reason: oops
    sigpicA well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
  • #2
    thospb
    Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 224

    You can replace the bolt and it will fit, does not need to be fit by a Gunsmith. If the action has been blueprinted the Bolt fits better, but not needed to make it go Bang. Check Brownells for parts. I would not consider replacing the bolt because of a bit of rust though. Clean it up.

    Comment

    • #3
      G-Man WC
      In Memoriam
      • Oct 2005
      • 10991

      Originally posted by Rangem4
      I have a mid 70's stock Remington 700 ADL in .222.
      If I bought a bolt does it need to be fitted by a locksmith?
      Can I replace parts to my bolt?
      The handle has a bit of rust and the finish is showing wear. The rest of the rifle is spot on perfect.
      Thank you!
      Why a locksmith and not a gunsmith? Sorry I couldn't resist.
      With the Rem 700 being the most popular center fire rifle
      in existence, you should no problems finding bolt part's or
      the complete unit. I'd talk with either Randell (AR 15 Barrels)
      or Kendog in the gunsmithing section
      here on CG's. -g
      If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
      -Samuel Adams

      Comment

      • #4
        MongooseV8
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 4426

        Originally posted by thospb
        You can replace the bolt and it will fit, does not need to be fit by a Gunsmith. If the action has been blueprinted the Bolt fits better, but not needed to make it go Bang. Check Brownells for parts. I would not consider replacing the bolt because of a bit of rust though. Clean it up.
        This is false. You can swap in another bolt but it needs to be properly fitted. You may or may not end up within headspace spec. And if the lugs dont fit well, you can experience a growing headspace as you shoot the rifle that will probably cause some accuracy frustration.

        If there is nothing functionally wrong with your current bolt just clean it up with some fine steel wool and Hopes oil. If it bothers you still get the bolt reblued.

        Comment

        • #5
          JMP
          Internet Warrior
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Feb 2012
          • 17056

          Looks fine, nothing a good cleaning/polishing won't fix. But, if you are going to replace it, you might want one if those giant Surgeon knobs, that seems the most en vogue.

          Comment

          • #6
            Car83
            Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 399

            Definitely need to verify headspace.

            Comment

            • #7
              Dano3467
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2013
              • 7381

              +1 on re-blue you can probably DIY though Youtube vid.

              Comment

              • #8
                NapalmCheese
                Calguns Addict
                • Feb 2011
                • 5958

                Clean it with bronze or copper wool and shoot it.
                Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

                Comment

                • #9
                  OverUnderClays
                  Working my *** off...
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 297

                  Originally posted by MongooseV8
                  This is false. You can swap in another bolt but it needs to be properly fitted. You may or may not end up within headspace spec. And if the lugs dont fit well, you can experience a growing headspace as you shoot the rifle that will probably cause some accuracy frustration.

                  If there is nothing functionally wrong with your current bolt just clean it up with some fine steel wool and Hopes oil. If it bothers you still get the bolt reblued.
                  +1

                  Originally posted by Dano3467
                  +1 on re-blue you can probably DIY though Youtube vid.
                  This, or have it professionally refinished.
                  You want to make a difference in getting your voice heard about protecting your right to have a firearm in CA?

                  Time to fight in 2015 using FPC: https://www.firearmspolicy.org/act/california/

                  Contact Brown through email: http://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Rangem4
                    Member
                    • Jun 2012
                    • 407

                    Did you know naval jelly takes the bluing off?
                    I found out last night. Now I have a rough patch and a multicolored bolt knob.
                    Oh well, I think I will just shoot it.
                    Thanks fellas!
                    sigpicA well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      MongooseV8
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 4426

                      Originally posted by Rangem4
                      Did you know naval jelly takes the bluing off?
                      I found out last night. Now I have a rough patch and a multicolored bolt knob.
                      Oh well, I think I will just shoot it.
                      Thanks fellas!
                      Haha oops!

                      DuraCoat+PreVal Spray Can is another option. Pick a color you like and spray away. I have done a bunch that way, and the finish turns out pretty good, and its pretty tough.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        postal
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 4566

                        Talk about 'en vogue'... you and your fancy pants specialty coatings....

                        krylon ftw!

                        Do you mean petroleum jelly took the blue off?? weird...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          MongooseV8
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 4426

                          Originally posted by postal
                          Talk about 'en vogue'... you and your fancy pants specialty coatings....

                          krylon ftw!

                          Do you mean petroleum jelly took the blue off?? weird...
                          Yeah I use Krylon for stocks a lot. But for the metal stuff it doesnt hold up very well.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Merc1138
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 19742

                            Originally posted by postal
                            Talk about 'en vogue'... you and your fancy pants specialty coatings....

                            krylon ftw!

                            Do you mean petroleum jelly took the blue off?? weird...
                            naval jelly = rust remover. bluing = oxidized iron(not the same oxidized state as red rust)

                            I wouldn't bother swapping a bolt just for the bluing on the bolt knob, just get that re-blued if it's important enough to you, otherwise paint it.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              TMB 1
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Dec 2012
                              • 7153

                              Originally posted by JMP
                              Looks fine, nothing a good cleaning/polishing won't fix.
                              ^this^
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1