Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Savage 30-06 and ammo choice

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • point1
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 86

    Savage 30-06 and ammo choice

    Hello all!

    I apologize in advance for a very stupid and noob question. I have a Savage bolt action rifle that fires 30-06 caliber. In the past, I have purchased boxed ammos from Ammo bros or Big 5. From time to time, I browse through the private ammo sales section of this forum and I see members selling "Greek Garand 30-06" bulk ammo for what seems to be a good price.

    Presumably my rifle will fire these with no problems. Any advice or heads up that I need to know about before I commit to buying up these deals?

    30-06 is where I am sorely lacking in terms of my prep stockpile.

    thanks!
  • #2
    Divernhunter
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2010
    • 8753

    The ammo is good for plinking. Not legal for hunting. It is mil-surplus so it has crimped primers which need to be swaged or cut out for reloading. You will also need to drop your powder amount if near max due to thicker brass. It is good brass.
    A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
    NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
    SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

    Comment

    • #3
      DennisCA
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2011
      • 4069

      I agree with Divernhunter; Greek Garand 30-06" bulk ammo is great for plinking!
      The commercially sold ammo is a bit pricy.
      "The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.

      Comment

      • #4
        sofbak
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2010
        • 2628

        The Greek HXP was specifically loaded for the M1 Garand, and may be a mild load for your bolt gun. Good, reasonably accurate though.

        Also keep in mind that while not legal for hunting (lead core), it is also not legal to use on BLM land (at least in southern cal) because it also has a steel jacket-copper over steel over lead. Many ranges don't allow it either, so some research may be needed.

        But for practice and plinking it will certainly work in your savage, and if you reload, the brass is good too. The crimp in the HXP primer pocket is very mild compared to lake city ammo, so the crimp will not be too difficult to overcome, and can be managed with standard press dies if one is careful.
        Tire kickers gonna kick,
        Nose pickers gonna pick
        I and others know the real

        Comment

        • #5
          point1
          Junior Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 86

          thanks fellas for the awesome and informative feedback! Presumably having these bulk greek ammo handy in SHTF situations is probably not a bad idea. I'm just looking for ways to stretch my budget and get more bang for the buck (like everyone else)

          thanks again!

          Comment

          • #6
            Sparks57
            Junior Member
            • Oct 2013
            • 77

            Seems like Walmart usually has 30-06 at a decent price.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1