Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lever action

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    geoint
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 4385

    Originally posted by Oceanbob
    Good question. A secondary long gun? Hmmmm.

    I guess it boils down to caliber, money and magazines?

    I really like that Mossberg MVP......223

    Personally I like the MVP Patrol a bit better.



    No matter, the cost after tax and DROS over $600

    In my mind if I'am going to run AR mags then I'am going to run a real AR.

    We can build an AR for the cost of a Mossberg and is much more efficient as a defensive weapon.

    I can order the MVP Patrol in 223 for 520 from buds guns. $20 more for my FFL. Thats 540 for a gun no cop is going to give me grief about. I could order an AR for not much more but I always run the risk of a stupid LEO giving me crap.

    Is there a limit on magazine capacity for bolt action rifles?
    Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

    I Hate California.

    Comment

    • #17
      762cavalier
      NRA Training Counselor
      CGN Contributor
      • Oct 2005
      • 3626

      Originally posted by golfish
      Brother, at this point I'd just get what you want. A good lever action is going to be much faster then a bolt gun but we're kind of comparing apples to oranges. The bolt gun is going to be more accurate.

      I really like lever guns, they are the original assault weapon

      A good 44 mag lever gun matched up to a DA 44 mag revolver is going to throw down a lot of lead and be very reliable at doing it.
      This ^^^^^^
      In any type of fight, & especially gun fights, there are no winners ..... just varying degrees of losers. The only fight you win is the one you never get into.

      sigpic
      NRA Certified Instructor
      Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

      Comment

      • #18
        geoint
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2014
        • 4385

        Think Ill buy the MVP now and save a lever gun in 38/357 for later. Thanks for the input.
        Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

        I Hate California.

        Comment

        • #19
          TMB 1
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2012
          • 7153

          Originally posted by geoint
          Think Ill buy the MVP now and save a lever gun in 38/357 for later. Thanks for the input.
          MVP is a good choice.
          Another good truck gun is the H&R/NEF Handi Rifle.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #20
            paolo
            Member
            • May 2013
            • 210

            I have the Mossberg MVP predator .223. It's a great rifle and I do like the fact that it takes AR magazines. It's quite accurate and reliable.

            However, you do need to factor in the price of a decent scope if you plan on shooting at distances beyond 100yds.

            Not sure about the magazine capacity limit but because it's a bolt action, you won't be spraying lead anyways.

            Comment

            • #21
              3006mv
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2006
              • 1979

              nothing wrong with a boltie as a truck gun i had one in AK for years
              "when I hear 'meat is murder' (sic) I think murder is delicious" - Stephen Colbert interview with Morrisey 09.10.12

              I plead the 2nd.

              Comment

              • #22
                VegasND
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2007
                • 8621

                I like a rifle over a shotgun but I change my mind on truck/trunk guns fairly often depending on the situation.

                Keep an open mind.
                People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
                --River Tam

                Comment

                • #23
                  CSACANNONEER
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 44094

                  Rifles and shotguns are not interchangeable. They are two different animals with different purposes. You really need to define your purpose better prior to making a decision. Yea, "truck gun" is a purpose and if all you want it for is to sit in the truck and look cool, get whatever is cheapest. If there's a REAL intended practical purpose, then one will work a hell of a lot better than the other.
                  NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                  California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                  Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                  Utah CCW Instructor


                  Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                  sigpic
                  CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                  KM6WLV

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    44fred
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2011
                    • 2399

                    I just thought about the Savage 24. If you can find a deal on one in the right calibers, it would be the best of both worlds. I've owned a couple, old and older and was pleased with there performance. You are limited to a single shot in each barrel, just make the best of it.
                    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

                    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

                    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
                    -- Thomas Jefferson

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Shovel
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 824

                      If you already have a 12g for a truck gun, I would start with a caliber to compliment your shotgun and then find a platform that you are comfortable with. Here are some good options:

                      1. 30-30: This is a great caliber with longer range capability than a shotgun, but you're going to need to get a lever action.

                      2. 7mm-08: This would be another great option, but I believe that you would have to get a bolt action.

                      3. 300 Blk: Newer caliber but seems to be proven. You could do an AR or bolt action. You may just need to risk getting hassled by a LEO.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        sigfan91
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 12363

                        What's wrong with just a shotgun and plenty of bird shots, buck shots, and sabot rounds onboard?

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          NapalmCheese
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 5958

                          Originally posted by geoint
                          Coyotes or hogs. Not sure about follow up shot.
                          I wouldn't purposefully hunt pigs with anything smaller than a .243 or a .30-30. For a shotgun I'd use a rifled slug barrel. So for a truck gun for hunting pigs and coyotes I'd just as soon go with the lever gun.

                          That being said, if I had a .44 mag lever action rifle and a pig tag, and I was in an area that I was allowed to hunt and I just happen to see a pig, and I had a way to bring the meat home or keep it cool until I could get it home I'd shoot it and not feel too under gunned.
                          Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Sutcliffe
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2003
                            • 6792

                            It depends on what your needs are

                            Shotguns are fine, but I think you get more utility out of a lever action kept in the truck.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              mark501w
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 1699

                              The old .30/30 lever guns are cool in their own right, handy, powerful ,loaded with american tradition .

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                44fred
                                Senior Member
                                • Sep 2011
                                • 2399

                                For those that think the 30/30 is not enough gun here in California, you can't argue with history.
                                "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

                                "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

                                "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
                                -- Thomas Jefferson

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1