Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Shooting advice? (Pics of target)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • KeepItCal
    Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 171

    Shooting advice? (Pics of target)

    Hey guys,

    This is my second time shooting a rifle so I know I have a lot to work on... just not sure exactly what to work on...

    Rifle: Savage 111 .30-06 lefthanded

    Tried to adjusts the sights at 50M. Got it to the last 3 in the box. Then went to 100M. Every shot I try to get a very clear and solid sight picture on the scope, big inhale and in the middle of my exhale, hold breath, and take the shot. Very slow shots. Keep the trigger pulled back to help manage recoil.


    This is what is looked like after 20 something rounds within a single shooting window. The couple in the middle were all from the first few shots. The rest went up and to the right. Any tips? From my reading a rightward group might mean not pulling trigger straight back? Would a hotter barrel walk the round so much? trying to find issues that might explain the groups.


    Any advice?
  • #2
    SMarquez
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 2216

    Practice, practice,practice. Give it time. There are a lot of variables. You haven't told us what ammo you use, wind conditions, type of rest and on and on. As far as your rifle, is it bedded? What is the trigger pull, action screws torqued properly? And yes, a hot barrel can string shots.
    If you are concerned about your trigger pull, practice dry firing. You won't hurt anything doing it.
    Welcome to a new rifle shooter. If we were perfect at it it wouldn't be a hobby.

    Comment

    • #3
      russ69
      Calguns Addict
      • Nov 2009
      • 9348

      The group has a good shape, you just need to shoot a little more and get comfortable. I've seen worse groups from new shooters, yours looks respectable.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        KeepItCal
        Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 171

        Originally posted by SMarquez
        Practice, practice,practice. Give it time. There are a lot of variables. You haven't told us what ammo you use, wind conditions, type of rest and on and on. As far as your rifle, is it bedded? What is the trigger pull, action screws torqued properly? And yes, a hot barrel can string shots.
        If you are concerned about your trigger pull, practice dry firing. You won't hurt anything doing it.
        Welcome to a new rifle shooter. If we were perfect at it it wouldn't be a hobby.
        Thanks SM!

        -Ammo: I bought these on sale, Golden Bear 145gr FMJ .30-06
        -Not bedded, is that DIY-possible?
        -Wind was actually going right to left but it wasn't too strong. Haven't the slightest clue on MPH
        -Trigger is adjustable accu-trigger. Haven't adjusted it
        -Haven't noticed any loose bolts on scope or action

        What am I looking for when practicing trigger pulls? Simply no flinching and relaxed even pull?

        Comment

        • #5
          rm1911
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 4073

          Try different target. There are targets designed for grouping. They have grid lines to line up scope. I like the round bullseye targets for shooting my garand and AR since I use 6oclock hold and the big round bull is useful with irons.
          NRA Life Member since 1990

          They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

          Comment

          • #6
            KeepItCal
            Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 171

            I can lighten the pull too. What is accomplished when making the pull lighter? I'm assuming it reduces the window of sights deviating from target?

            @russ thank you! I'll take respectable all day!

            Comment

            • #7
              KeepItCal
              Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 171

              Originally posted by rm1911
              Try different target. There are targets designed for grouping. They have grid lines to line up scope. I like the round bullseye targets for shooting my garand and AR since I use 6oclock hold and the big round bull is useful with irons.
              Noted. I'll look for those next time I'm at my LGS/range. Thanks rm!

              Comment

              • #8
                Fate
                Calguns Addict
                • Apr 2006
                • 9545

                If you are using a scope, make sure there's no shadow on one side of your sight vision. Improper alignment can cause your shots to go off target. Look at the bottom set of diagrams (whoever did the graphic, reversed the section titles).

                sigpic "On bended knee is no way to be free." - Eddie Vedder, "Guaranteed"

                "Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
                , in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

                Comment

                • #9
                  Pthfndr
                  In Memoriam
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 3691

                  Originally posted by KeepItCal
                  ....big inhale and in the middle of my exhale, hold breath, and take the shot.

                  Any advice?
                  Breath normally. Take shot at the end of the inhale, or end of the exhale (easier as it's a very normal relaxed pause in your natural breathing rhythm). Not in the middle, and don't hold your breath.
                  Rob Thomas - Match Director NCPPRC Tactical Long Range Match

                  Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CobraRed
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2012
                    • 1018

                    I teach a lot of new shooters who are new to rifles or bolt-action precision shooting - and you're not far off from the norm.
                    I'd say with your ammo you might even be better than the norm, as I would never have a new shooter shoot for groups with Russian anything or anything FMJ for that matter.

                    As others have said, PRACTICE.
                    My groups are decent, but they are 10's of thousands of slow fired rounds in. Your groups might be better than mine when you're at my point - who knows.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NorCalFocus
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2013
                      • 3913

                      Originally posted by KeepItCal
                      Noted. I'll look for those next time I'm at my LGS/range. Thanks rm!
                      No need. Here's a link to a bunch of PDF targets that you can print out at home. I use the medium range with the round orange bulls mostly.

                      6mmBR.com offers free targets for precision benchrest and long-range shooting. Downloadable targets for 6mm BR Norma benchrest, varmint, and 6BR 1000 yard. PDF and Word format targets for accurate printing. 6mmBR.com is for 6mm BR Benchrest shooting, with 6BR FAQ, Reloading, Message Boards, Polls, and Photos. (30BR cartridge, 6mm Dasher, gun barrels, powders, primers, dies), accurizing, ballistics, tools, gunsmiths. Articles for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        shooterbill
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2012
                        • 1096

                        Try some brass cased ammo. The steel cased ammo isn't that good for bolt rifle's usually. You had several pairs close to touching. Make sure your rest and hold are solid. Fire at the end of your exhalation. Don't give up. It will get easier.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          NorCalFocus
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2013
                          • 3913

                          Originally posted by Pthfndr
                          Breath normally. Take shot at the end of the inhale, or end of the exhale (easier as it's a very normal relaxed pause in your natural breathing rhythm). Not in the middle, and don't hold your breath.
                          I also agree with this. Don't shoot in the middle of a breath. Your shot should fire at the bottom of your breath. Also learn not to muscle the gun. You shouldn't have to force the gun to stay on target.


                          Get some snap caps or dumby rounds. Dry fire practice inside you home. Put a tack on the wall, lay down on the floor, and just dry fire at the tack. Do that for 20 minutes a day and your shooting will improve.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            KeepItCal
                            Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 171

                            I'm so glad I came here asking for help. Really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me.

                            @norcalfocus appreciate the link! Thanks! That makes things so much easier

                            Will fix the breathing right away too. Didn't mention I was using a bipod for the forend support and my arm coiled under the stock for the backend support.

                            Originally posted by CobraRed
                            I teach a lot of new shooters who are new to rifles or bolt-action precision shooting - and you're not far off from the norm.
                            I'd say with your ammo you might even be better than the norm, as I would never have a new shooter shoot for groups with Russian anything or anything FMJ for that matter.

                            As others have said, PRACTICE.
                            My groups are decent, but they are 10's of thousands of slow fired rounds in. Your groups might be better than mine when you're at my point - who knows.
                            That's awesome, thank you. On the ammo, I'll make sure to save the rest of the Russian stuff for friends/family that would be interested in giving it a go. Time to step up and buy more appropriate ammo. What would you recommend? What should I be looking for regarding companies, types of rounds, and grain combinations? Keeping in mind ultimately building up my abilities for hunting if that changes anything.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              NorCalFocus
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2013
                              • 3913

                              Hunting...then a 180 ish grain premium hunting round.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1