Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

30.06 bull barrel... wait which barrel?! (rem700)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Shrubmaster
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 1359

    30.06 bull barrel... wait which barrel?! (rem700)

    Wanted to get some opinions. I m looking to do a factory contour bull barrel at 24 inch.

    any ideas? I see the 5R barrels on stockiesstocks as a viable option but wanted to talk you guys before I buy.
    WTB: Marlin 989 M2 stock (uncracked), and 989 M2 rifles
    Thanks
  • #2
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57175

    Almost any major barrel maker will sell you a remington varmint contour 30 caliber barrel which will fit into your existing stock inlet.
    Then, the gunsmith can chamber it in 30-06 for you while he is fitting it to the action.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #3
      Shrubmaster
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 1359

      Originally posted by ar15barrels
      Almost any major barrel maker will sell you a remington varmint contour 30 caliber barrel which will fit into your existing stock inlet.
      Then, the gunsmith can chamber it in 30-06 for you while he is fitting it to the action.
      I was told by my gunsmith that it would take an inch off of the barrel to chamber it in 06. So Would I just order a 25 inch barrel?
      WTB: Marlin 989 M2 stock (uncracked), and 989 M2 rifles
      Thanks

      Comment

      • #4
        ar15barrels
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2006
        • 57175

        Originally posted by Shrubmaster
        I was told by my gunsmith that it would take an inch off of the barrel to chamber it in 06. So Would I just order a 25 inch barrel?
        That would only apply to trying to re-use a 308 barrel.
        The best path would be to start with a new barrel blank, not a used barrel.

        New barrels will come 27" long or more and need to have at least 1" cut off of the front before the crown is cut.
        This is all part of a normal barrel fitting job.
        Randall Rausch

        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

        Comment

        • #5
          6mmintl
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • 4822

          If you were to buy a takeoff 26" Remington .308 varmint barrel you could end up with a 25"

          I have one with about 50 rounds down the tube

          Comment

          • #6
            russ69
            Calguns Addict
            • Nov 2009
            • 9348

            Originally posted by Shrubmaster
            Wanted to get some opinions. I m looking to do a factory contour bull barrel at 24 inch....
            For a custom barrel in 30-06 I would get at least a 26 inch barrel. I like the extra weight and the added velocity.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Shrubmaster
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2010
              • 1359

              So wheres the best place to get said barrel. I'd like to get 5R if possible.
              WTB: Marlin 989 M2 stock (uncracked), and 989 M2 rifles
              Thanks

              Comment

              • #8
                GJC
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 1864

                Here is a start: http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/
                sigpic Rifleman Jan 31 2010
                Have You tried an Appleseed Lately? http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
                NRA Life Member

                Comment

                • #9
                  Merc1138
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 19742

                  If you don't feel like waiting on a direct order from bartlein(if it's not something in their currently available inventory), bugholes.com has bartlein(and some other manufacturers) barrels in stock. They don't have everything, but it's worth a look.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    milotrain
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 4301

                    http://www.brunoshooters.com/ usually has barrels
                    weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
                    frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      LynnJr
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 7958



                      Grizzly has Bartlein in stock all the time and most are 5R.

                      Last edited by LynnJr; 01-16-2014, 7:31 PM.
                      Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                      Southwest Regional Director
                      Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                      www.unlimitedrange.org
                      Not a commercial business.
                      URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Shrubmaster
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 1359

                        Thanks for the info fellas! Going to order up a surefire muzzle brake to send in with the barrel so it can be indexed. Maybe a drop mag conversion for good measure.

                        Leaning toward an accupoint scope.
                        WTB: Marlin 989 M2 stock (uncracked), and 989 M2 rifles
                        Thanks

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1