Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Savage 11 issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Switchbarrel
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam8d1
    Thanks to everyone who gave advice and suggestions. Ha, not really sure what exactly the problem was because I did everything last night and went out with some yet another kind of ammo this morning. Grouping still not where id like it. But much better than it was. I was able to get it down to about two inch groups this morning. Better than the 7 or 8+ inch groups it has been getting.


    Still, I would get a box of Federal Gold Medal Match or Black Hills Match ammo and see how they group just to get a benchmark. If they shoot like crap, then you still have other issues to investigate.

    -Rick

    Leave a comment:


  • NorCalFocus
    replied
    Trigger work seemed to help then? I'm sure the Timney will help more.

    Leave a comment:


  • bambam8d1
    replied
    Thanks to everyone who gave advice and suggestions. Ha, not really sure what exactly the problem was because I did everything last night and went out with some yet another kind of ammo this morning. Grouping still not where id like it. But much better than it was. I was able to get it down to about two inch groups this morning. Better than the 7 or 8+ inch groups it has been getting.

    Leave a comment:


  • bambam8d1
    replied
    Checked base screws. Look gtg. Just ordered a timney trigger, and did the DIY trigger job for the time being. Going to head back out to the range and try again tomorrow.

    Leave a comment:


  • NorCalFocus
    replied
    Spend a little more and get the trigger worked over and replace it.

    Leave a comment:


  • bambam8d1
    replied
    No, no accutrigger. And youre right its very stiff. I haven't used any match grade ammo. I was trying to get a decent deer/hog rifle and want to zero it using the hunting rounds I would be using. I did buy the rifle from a little mom and pop store that pulled it directly off the shelf and put back in box when I bought it. Checked out and couldn't really notice anything bad on crown. Ill check into the base screws and length. Geez, definitely didn't expect all these issues when I picked this thing up. Heard great stuff about sub moa out of box ha.

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by Wrangler John
    First thing is to check the front scope base screw. Most are too Long and will bottom out on the barrel threads before they tighten against the base. See below. Top arrow points to overhanging Weaver base, that may interfere with the recoil lug. Bottom arrow points to base screw that will tighten against the barrel threads, marring them and placing stress on the barrel shank, while leaving the front base loose with only the rear screw holding it tight:



    Shortening the front of the base with a file and emery cloth provides clearance with the recoil lug, and shortening the screw gets the base tight. Note that the screw is just shy of the top of the threads by a few thousandths. Shortening the screw requires some careful work or adapting a Brownell's jig:

    http://s274.photobucket.com/user/Wra..._0046.jpg.html
    Excellent advice and pictures.
    I think that the overhanging scope base is much less likely to be an issue as most recoil lugs are smaller that the receiver.
    This means that a scope base would simply be floating over the top of the lug.

    Long scope base screws are a common occurance though as they are intended to be installed by gunsmiths who know to check the length before tightening them into place.

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by Exodus343
    In before AR15barrels say you should've bought a R700
    Savage buyers always get what they paid for just like buyers of any type of gun.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wrangler John
    replied
    First thing is to check the front scope base screw. Most are too Long and will bottom out on the barrel threads before they tighten against the base. See below. Top arrow points to overhanging Weaver base, that may interfere with the recoil lug. Bottom arrow points to base screw that will tighten against the barrel threads, marring them and placing stress on the barrel shank, while leaving the front base loose with only the rear screw holding it tight:



    Shortening the front of the base with a file and emery cloth provides clearance with the recoil lug, and shortening the screw gets the base tight. Note that the screw is just shy of the top of the threads by a few thousandths. Shortening the screw requires some careful work or adapting a Brownell's jig:



    Also, Savages like the action screws torqued properly.

    Try checking the base screws first, and see if things don't improve.

    Leave a comment:


  • TMB 1
    replied
    How does the crown look? If you bought it from a place where they're sitting out and every a__hole and his brother can mess with it some one might have messed it up.

    Leave a comment:


  • Exodus343
    replied
    check if the barrel is free floated


    In before AR15barrels say you should've bought a R700

    Leave a comment:


  • Surferchris1
    replied
    Don't give up. I had a similar experience with my Savage 10fp in .223, took it to the range and all I had was some Federal 55gr and was shooting 5-7" groups at 100y. I was pissed and didn't shoot the thing for a while.

    A month or two later I ordered a box of Black Hills 75gr match grade. First 5 shots pretty much went through the same hole.

    Really opened my eyes to how much quality ammo matters. I bought a reloading press that same day and haven't looked back! Now I can ring my 9"x13" steel targets out to 800y very consistently.

    Leave a comment:


  • JMP
    replied
    Does it have an AccuTrigger? If not, the factor trigger will come very heavy on the Model 11. Look at your target and dry fire the rifle. Does the reticle move when the trigger breaks? Otherwise, make sure the cartridge is snug when you close the bolt and take off the barrel and make sure it isn't bent.

    Leave a comment:


  • vincewarde
    replied
    I would have someone else shoot it just to confirm it is the rifle. If it still shoots that bad I would contact Savage.

    Leave a comment:


  • bambam8d1
    replied
    I'm shooting using bags up front and a sand sock in rear. Replaced rings, bases and put a new leupold on there. pretty positive its not me. my job in the army is shooting long distances. Not to sound like a douch bag lol. Ive had a few others try it too though and same issue. Given, none of us are gunsmiths, but we are better than average shots. which adds to the frustration of me not being able to group well on this. Lol

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1