Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need advice on LR/Hunting Rifle

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sleighter
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 3624

    Need advice on LR/Hunting Rifle

    Ok Group....the time has come for me to choose a long range & hunting rifle (2 separate activities, NOT long-range hunting). I've been reading and reading, checking out different rifles and have decided on the Tikka T3 because of the smoothness of their action and their out of box accuracy, that and I just like them.

    The problem is I'm torn between 2 different calibers. 7mm-08 and .308. From all of my research I'm leaning towards the 7mm-08 because of the lighter recoil, and better BC for long range. I reload, and everywhere I've read says that if you reload, the advantages of the 7mm-08 far outweigh the .308.

    With that said, I have been looking around and can't find any 7mm-08 brass. I'm concerned about the availability of components for 7mm-08 over the ubiquitous .308 stuff which is everywhere. Help me decide either way...the more opinions the better.
    59
    .308 - it's everywhere and easy to find
    0%
    41
    7mm-08 - It's ballistically superior to the .308 but harder to find.
    0%
    18
    If you are wondering if you can get a LTC in Riverside County: THE ANSWER IS YES!

    Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
  • #2
    RobG
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2006
    • 4887

    The 7/08 with a 162gr Amax or 168gr Berger will flat out smoke anything the .308 has to offer from a ballistic standpoint.

    Comment

    • #3
      toby
      Banned
      • Jan 2010
      • 10576

      Just from the question asked I will say PLEASE refrain from so called long range hunting.

      Comment

      • #4
        Sleighter
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2011
        • 3624

        Originally posted by toby
        Just from the question asked I will say PLEASE refrain from so called long range hunting.
        I updated my original post for clarity. I am looking into getting into 2 different, mutually exclusive activities. Long range precision shooting...and also, short distance hunting. Definitely not long-range hunting.
        If you are wondering if you can get a LTC in Riverside County: THE ANSWER IS YES!

        Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777

        Comment

        • #5
          MongooseV8
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2010
          • 4426

          You can size 7-08 brass from 308 very easily. I'd go with the 7-08 without thinking twice. Berger hunting bullets have spectacular BC numbers and bight sectional density ect and do well against fury targets.

          Comment

          • #6
            NorCalFocus
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2013
            • 3913

            Yup, if you're going to reload the 7-08 is a great round.

            Also you're getting a Tikka, which is a great choice too, are you getting a heavy barrel?

            Comment

            • #7
              TMB 1
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2012
              • 7153

              7mm-08 because you're leaning towards it.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                kentactic
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2012
                • 1127

                I had a .308 and shot factory match grade ammo. My buddy hand loaded 7mm-08. Not sure how much you save in recoil shooting a 7mm-08. A .308 based cartridge is a mild recoiling caliber. No need to factor recoil between the two. Its negligable.

                We use to go back and fourth doing long range bets or what ever... after 2 years he finally decided to get a .308. This wasn't because the 7mm-08 was inferior. But I was just a much better long range shooter and made the .308 look good. Bottom line was I was ringing steel on demand at great distances and he wasn't. If you plan on shooting 1300 yards or less then .308 will do just fine. Plus you won't be shooting an oddball caliber. Theres a reason there's 10 million calibers based off a .308 winchester case. It gets the job done and guys just can't leave well enough alone.
                Last edited by kentactic; 10-30-2013, 10:46 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  jyo
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2008
                  • 5320

                  I vote .308---great all-around cartidge---available everywhere---my hunting rifle is Browning BLR lever-action with Leupold 1.5-5X scope in QR rings so iron sights are readily available if needed...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    lrj812
                    Member
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 190

                    I reload for both and prefer the 7-08. 7-08 brass is out there and was easier to find than 308 during the panic. It was definitely easier to find loaded 7-08 vs. 308. Like the OP, I like the ballistics of the 7mm projectile and its reloading capabilities. I also shoot 7RM for the same reasons and can interchange bullets. I also like that 7mm isn't as common (which can also be a disadvantage).
                    Bagged a buck this year with my 7-08 using a Nosler 160 gr. Ballistic Tip. Heavier bullet than I usually load but it was a total energy dump inside that deer. It's a versatile and fun round to reload.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      scotty99
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 1184

                      Not to complicate your life, but you might consider the .260 Remington also. For long range, the 6.5s are doing great, and a140gr. bullet out of a 260 will kill just about anything you're likely to be hunting.

                      Of the two you mention (and I own rifles in both calibers), since you reload I'd pick the 7. For any given amount of recoil, you will get better ballistics with the 7mm-08.

                      Brass has been impossible to find, but I've been buying factory ammo, shooting it for fun, then reloading that. Maybe not the most cost effective, but I haven't seen brass in almost a year now.

                      A small bonus, my 7mm-08 loves 4007ssc powder, which was pretty easy to find even in the depths of the panic.


                      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        NorCalFocus
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2013
                        • 3913

                        If you reload, the 7-08 can be loaded off .308 brass very very easily. Just run the .308 brass thourgh the FL 7-08 die.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          NytWolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 3935

                          Another vote for 7-08.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Vu 308
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2007
                            • 2565

                            308win, bigger and heavier bullets to kill things.
                            sigpic

                            Please visit us @ www.ncpprc.com for more info.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              CelticMonster
                              Member
                              • Apr 2013
                              • 441

                              Another vote for .308. It's a great, almost do-everything round with many ways to load it for your purpose.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1